Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't help but comment that there are a lot of threads dedicated to the less than stellar gas mileage of the Bronco but there are soooo many comments here about wanting/needing sport mode, which I'm sure isn't gas friendly. Just a funny commentary...that's all.
Most people here buying an enthusiast vehicle care WAY more about performance over fuel economy...or they wouldn't be buying a Bronco. Some people are bying it is a daily commu
Highlighted for emphasis.

Adjusting AIPM to give DRIVE modes locked from factory will void your drivetrain and engine warranty I 100% promise you.

You're 100% correct that changing lights or mirrors won't affect warranty on the whole vehicle, its on a per module basis. But a drive mode is ECU and will be a slam dunk denial if it was not done at the dealer.

They didn't make the AIPM write all changes to log for fun.
Promise all you want…but the burden is on the warrantor to show that the mod caused the failure.
Sponsored

timo98

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Highlighted for emphasis.

Adjusting AIPM to give DRIVE modes locked from factory will void your drivetrain and engine warranty I 100% promise you.

You're 100% correct that changing lights or mirrors won't affect warranty on the whole vehicle, its on a per module basis. But a drive mode is ECU and will be a slam dunk denial if it was not done at the dealer.

They didn't make the AIPM write all changes to log for fun.

The dealer/Ford has to prove that the mod caused the issue for which the warranty is being claimed per mag-moss. It is unreasonable to assume unlocking Sport on a Badlands will cause an issue. All hardware and software was developed with that mode in mind per its inclusion on other trim series. They'd have a hard time proving that using Sport caused, say a broken halftshaft, when that same halfshaft is use on other series w/ Sport. Ford has an aversion to having more than 7 modes on a vehicle b/c they don't want to confuse people with the tyranny of choice. It's an artificial constraint. The more sporty throttle pedal response is worth it to me even on a manual.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dealer/Ford has to prove that the mod caused the issue for which the warranty is being claimed per mag-moss. It is unreasonable to assume unlocking Sport on a Badlands will cause an issue. All hardware and software was developed with that mode in mind per its inclusion on other trim series. They'd have a hard time proving that using Sport caused, say a broken halftshaft, when that same halfshaft is use on other series w/ Sport. Ford has an aversion to having more than 7 modes on a vehicle b/c they don't want to confuse people with the tyranny of choice. It's an artificial constraint. The more sporty throttle pedal response is worth it to me even on a manual.
This. The warranty won’t be voided…despite people “promising”.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most people here buying an enthusiast vehicle care WAY more about performance over fuel economy...or they wouldn't be buying a Bronco. Some people are bying it is a daily commu

Promise all you want…but the burden is on the warrantor to show that the mod caused the failure.
You modified an ECU to give your vehicle performance not authorized from factory.

If something breaks while you're in that mode its not happening.

Y'all can argue with me all you want, I'm telling you for fact if you break something drive related in Sport Mode, Ford will not help you.

Everyone is free to make the decision base on their own desires, but I want forum members to have the correct information, which is adding these modes and having something go wrong will cause you problems.

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much is FDRS ( if it's the better tool to play around the ECU ) ? Can it be found online like the Techstream for Toyota is ?

Sponsored

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You modified an ECU to give your vehicle performance not authorized from factory.

Y'all can argue with me all you want, I'm telling you for fact if you break something drive related in Sport Mode, Ford will not help you.

Everyone is free to make the decision base on their own desires, but I want forum members to have the correct information, which is adding these modes and having something go wrong will cause you problems.
Are you saying this by experience ? Just saying " Hey Believe me" and not backing it up, is kind of moot...

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is Ford logging the drive mode you are in all the time as well? How does Ford prove that the component broke while you were in an "unauthorized" mode, as opposed to one of the ones allowed for your model. There is a lot more complexity to these systems than you may appreciate. Per D2hanover:

This change simply turns on the option to ask the vehicle for this.
This mod isnt programming sport mode into "the ECU" (really there are so many modules controlling so many different functions). It is better thought of as turning on the menu item in the Dashboard User Interface. This allows you to ask the car to go into sport mode. Similar to how if you view the source of a web page you can tell your web browser to show you "invisible" elements. You didn't hack anything. You had it display something that was already there.

It seems like for Ford the burden of proving that your modification caused the issue would be extremely high given that this exists on many other trims in the same lineup. Would changing the screen background cause a warranty denial? Changing the colors of the UI?

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you saying this by experience ? Just saying " Hey Believe me" and not backing it up, is kind of moot...
Good friend is an Authorized Tech. Here's a GSB

Ford Bronco Forscan unlocks all GOAT modes with any Bronco model trim! How-to DIY instructions 1637084340108

This does not exist to benefit the buyer.

Will it result 100% in a warranty denial? No, but it will 100% in a fight for it.

Everyone has differing levels of desire to deal with the hassle. They will check, and they will see its been changed and they will argue over it.

Is Ford logging the drive mode you are in all the time as well? How does Ford prove that the component broke while you were in an "unauthorized" mode, as opposed to one of the ones allowed for your model. There is a lot more complexity to these systems than you may appreciate. Per D2hanover:

This mod isnt programming sport mode into "the ECU" (really there are so many modules controlling so many different functions). It is better thought of as turning on the menu item in the Dashboard User Interface. This allows you to ask the car to go into sport mode. Similar to how if you view the source of a web page you can tell your web browser to show you "invisible" elements. You didn't hack anything. You had it display something that was already there.

It seems like for Ford the burden of proving that your modification caused the issue would be extremely high given that this exists on many other trims in the same lineup. Would changing the screen background cause a warranty denial? Changing the colors of the UI?
No it's not logged constantly, but when an error is thrown (which more than likely would if something broke) it will be. Sport will have a different mapping for various control systems, which your vehicle would otherwise not have enabled.

No changing other stuff will not void your warranty, it has nothing to do with drive components.

If you guys think Ford will take no issue with this and approve warranty claims with 0 issue, you have not dealt with them before.

I encourage everyone have the most fun with their vehicle they can possibly have. I'm just trying to let everyone know this is not a risk free change. You run a very real risk of a big hassle for some modes. If you're okay with that, great enjoy!

Last edited:

Italianr1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2021 Bronco Badland 4dr Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure!

I'm still waiting for my new OBD-II adapter (my current one doesn't work on newer vehicles) to arrive... and then I'm going to see if my buddy is willing to do it on his Bronco (Black Diamond) first—see if I can unlock Baja mode for him. Would rather at least go through the process a few times on a Bronco that is owned by someone I know before I work on a stranger's Bronco. ;) My original plan was to experiment on my Bronco and post tutorials online for the wider community... but... I don't have mine yet... so SOL on that front for the moment.

Also... my buddy's brother happens to work for a Ford dealership and has access to FDRS. So if something goes horribly wrong and I unintentionally screw something up that cannot be fixed in FORScan, he can always reset it to factory for us.
Nice! Keep me posted.

Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Show me when and where this modification changes PCM and ECM settings.
The PCM controls the drive modes... Which you have to change to get the modes not available to you. Sport mode has a different ECU map than Normal.

The log files will show you enabled it and if you get a code, it will log the mode you were in at the time.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The PCM does not control the drive modes. The ABS controls the drive modes. Also the tune doesn’t change there is no “extra power” in SDM’s just increased/decreased pedal input translation, steering firmness or softness and shift point adjustments. No calibrations are made or altered ever.

I am a calibrations engineer at Ford. Please stop assuming that because your friend is a tech you can answer these questions.
Then you'll have no problem handling with your dealer, others may not be as lucky.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FORScan is a software product that can be used to diagnose and configure your Ford vehicle. It connects to your vehicle using the OBD-II port... usually via an USB -> OBD-II adapter.

It is basically a community version of the software product Ford developed internally for themselves and dealerships. That software product is called Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS)... and it's pricey—$850/year.

Meanwhile FORScan is free, but you can upgrade for $10/year for some enhanced features. Obviously significantly more economical that FDRS.
Thanks!

Shawntrex

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All the discussion of potentially voiding the warranty but Baja mode is available on a Wildtrak which has the same engine and trans as my SAS-OBX. So why would enabling Baja mode on my vehicle somehow be worse for it and potentially cause damage that would not happen when running that same mode on a Wildtrak?

And I apologize if already answered, but I thought Baja mode on the Wildtrak allowed you to view the cameras while in motion... does this modification enable that on the other trim levels as well?
Sponsored