First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I first saw the trims and packages, the only thing I knew 100% was I wanted Sasquatch, if for no other reason that it comes with the Front Locker. From my understanding, IFS and installing a Locker later is not an easy task.

With that said, as I read more about people's take on Sasquatch and the oversized 35" tires and it's affect on MPG and such... I am starting to second guess myself.

So i'm wondering what you all think... would I be better off getting Sasquatch and possible downgrading the 35" to say 33" afterwards, or not get Sasquatch and look to the aftermarket for Lift kits and Front Lockers?

(How important is a Front Locker anyway)
I was going to with ODX stock wheels an tires f/r lock diff so sas mod. Without 35s.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With that said, as I read more about people's take on Sasquatch and the oversized 35" tires and it's affect on MPG and such... I am starting to second guess myself.
Just get yourself a set of "summer" wheels+tires with some all-seasons or whatever in a smaller size.

I'm sure someone with a base unit would happily buy your takeoffs on craigslist too.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its always about being ready for the "one off".... some trail rescues are expensive not to mention the time it takes, especially if your overly adventurous .... lots of people with winches that never use them... its just in case

Edit: Warning off-roading is addictive..... new trails, new "overlook" etc. etc. again... better to be ready if you can afford it

Last edited:

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Help me understand this please guys, can you NOT get a locking front at all with manual trans?

I see on all the lower models "Included with Sasquatch", which means you have to get the Auto, but on the upper models it reads "Standard", so what if you're choosing a manual in an upper model?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Help me understand this please guys, can you NOT get a locking front at all with manual trans?

I see on all the lower models "Included with Sasquatch", which means you have to get the Auto, but on the upper models it reads "Standard", so what if you're choosing a manual in an upper model?
only on Badlands. You also get the 4.7 gears with the Manual Badlands. It’s also the only upper model that comes in manual. Wildtrack and First Edition are Automatic only.

Sponsored

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Drew. So let me ask this...

On the Independent Front upgrade option for the lower models where you can choose the M210, can you not get that in manual trans at all on lower models?

and is that the aluminum vs cast iron difference in the upgrades?

This is vexing, I'd like to get the upgraded front diff in manual, and then get after market or Ford Front lockers at some point. I'm sure someone will make them.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks Drew. So let me ask this...

On the Independent Front upgrade option for the lower models where you can choose the M210, can you not get that in manual trans at all on lower models?

and is that the aluminum vs cast iron difference in the upgrades?

This is vexing, I'd like to get the upgraded front diff in manual, and then get after market or Ford Front lockers at some point. I'm sure someone will make them.
The assumption is that the upgrade to the M210 is only guaranteed to be available with the Sasquatch package for now. We'll find out if it's a separate option when Build and Price is released.

Edit: Yes, the casting difference is from the M190 to M210

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seen a lot of aluminum front diffs explode/crack on old jeep liberties. They ran the Dana 186FIA IFS axle though. It was notorious for giving up the ghost if you spun a tire and then caught any sort of traction. Hence why I did a solid axle swap on mine.

The M190 is surely beefier but I’m skeptical all of aluminum axle housings. A front locker in an aluminum housing may add more stress to that housing, but it will also limit tire spin, which should (in theory) keep you from popping your front pumpkin.

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Understood, thank you Squatch.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, then, you will get the Upgraded Diff with the Badlands only, in manual. Which means, at some point, like any other part, you can buy the upgraded front diff later and swap it, correct?

along with a locking front part/kit, whatever that install would require, correct?

I mean, if they're putting it in as a packaged trim, in manual, why could you not buy the parts later and swap them?

Is there something special about the Badlands where this is the only trim where it's possible for a front, upgraded, locking diff?

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, had my front diff explode when spinning running on an uphill climb. Never want to experience that again, thank you :)

Sponsored

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Understood, thank you Squatch.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, then, you will get the Upgraded Diff with the Badlands only, in manual. Which means, at some point, like any other part, you can buy the upgraded front diff later and swap it, correct?

along with a locking front part/kit, whatever that install would require, correct?

I mean, if they're putting it in as a packaged trim, in manual, why could you not buy the parts later and swap them?

Is there something special about the Badlands where this is the only trim where it's possible for a front, upgraded, locking diff?
You can, in theory, buy any part of the Bronco and replace it on your Bronco. Will it be cost effective to do after the fact and not buy it as a package? Probably not.

Badlands is meant to be the “serious” crawl machine in their model lineup. So many of the crawling/off road upgrades are standard on that package or at least available, where other trims don’t even offer them.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the badlands comes stock with MT and the lockable M210 front diff.

the upper models start with the V6 which forces the auto gearbox
and the FE has the front locker standard since it's essentially a bulked up Badlands
with the V6/auto transmission /front sway bar disconnect/Squatch and a few random WT features thrown in.

it's a marketing decision on ford's part

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roger that Clark, I'm just having a really hard time understanding WHY they would only offer that granny gear and crawl ratio, promote that, and not offer it with a front locker option. How many guys here, want the base models, with Sasquatch options, but in a manual, locked? A lot!

I mean, that's the real rub in this whole thing. Get the Sasquatch, but you can't get the crawler transfer case. Get the crawler transfer case, but you can't get a front locker....

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Roger that Clark, I'm just having a really hard time understanding WHY they would only offer that granny gear and crawl ratio, promote that, and not offer it with a front locker option. How many guys here, want the base models, with Sasquatch options, but in a manual, locked? A lot!

I mean, that's the real rub in this whole thing. Get the Sasquatch, but you can't get the crawler transfer case. Get the crawler transfer case, but you can't get a front locker....

This is the way it goes. Just like I'm sure there are some who wanted SFA. Some who wanted V-6/ manual. Some who wanted a V-8. Some who wanted this and some who wanted that. It is just the way Ford packaged it together to please the majority/masses. Some win, some loose. Not everyone gets a trophy. That's the way the world is supposed to work. This is why it is 'Merica. we didn't get it just the way we want then we make it on our own. ...... or find someone who will make it for you. Not trying to be snarky just trying to put some perspective on it. I think the base should be a SFA version, a.k.a. Troller. under 25K, then build from there. IFS 30K. Badboy IFS 40+K. But that is me, I'm not Ford.

A person needs to decide what they can afford vs. what they need vs. what they want their Bronco to do, it's purpose. All have factors on how to package to get what you want/need. If you are not buying now, I'm sure things will change after the current reservations (MY21) are filled. ( i.e. next years models will change the package/ options list).

Just my thoughts.

?

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

is a front locker really a must for general off roading. or something you only really need for rock crawling and extreme off roading?
I'm no off-roading pro by any means, but "off roading" is an ambiguous term.

Really all you need to 'off-road' is a 4x4 capable vehicle with good A/T or M/T tires. You don't NEED all these bells and whistles that most of the forum talks about and dissects meticulously.

You could easily hit the vast majority of the unpaved outdoors with a Base that has good all-terrain tires. I would take an experienced driver who truly knows what he/she is doing, over a fully-loaded Bronco any day. I certainly wouldn't argue that the more options you choose, the more advanced trails you can hit or easier it makes life, and if you can afford it - by all means.
Sponsored