First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I’m confused. What’s the difference between the flash that @flip did and the forscan method that @ryannshit did?

What categorizes a speaker as “full-range” and why would Polk come with pre-installed filters?

I’m running these:
Infinity REF 4032-CF-4" (87mm) coaxial car speaker Power Handling - 35W RMS, 75W peak Sensitivity (@ 2.83V) - 92dB Frequency Response - 75Hz – 21kHz Impedance 3.0 ohms
Sponsored

EKOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So im thinking if I swap the 4 inch rear speakers with something better (like Kicker CS speakers) and maybe used bass blockers, and got the flash done, this would get some pretty good results for little cost…?
I installed Kicker CS speakers in all 6 slots and added a Kicker hideaway 8” powered subwoofer attached to the back drivers side panel (not enough space under any seats.) It sounds great, but I’m not sure that replacing the rear pods made much of a difference. Would love to be able to get those speakers to work like the fronts do.

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't install a subwoofer but I upgraded my 4" speakers in both the dash and the rears. My fronts worked with no issues, my rear speakers sounded flat and got no bass and zero movement from the cones. Tried rewiring negative to positive etc but that did not work either.

I then found this post (pic attached) regarding forescan and my rear 4" speaker issues are solved. They now sound just like the front dash speakers with bass and cone movement.

Screenshot_20220130-205118.png
I had written that code off since a number of people responded saying it didn't do much

OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX; '11 Armada; '02 Tahoe Z71; '91 XJ6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the sound is going directly into a solid piece of plastic? Seems sub-optimal at best.
There's more of a gap between the bar and the plastic cover than is visible. But yes - it's not as optimal as hanging wide out in the open - but I prefer to be able to see behind me, as it still produces great sound - light years better than the little filtered pods.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had written that code off since a number of people responded saying it didn't do much
Give it a try. Instantly solved my 4" rear speaker issues.

You will lose occupancy modes where you can choose rear/front listening modes but I can live without that as long as the rear speakers are actually working.

Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't install a subwoofer but I upgraded my 4" speakers in both the dash and the rears. My fronts worked with no issues, my rear speakers sounded flat and got no bass and zero movement from the cones. Tried rewiring negative to positive etc but that did not work either.

I then found this post (pic attached) regarding forescan and my rear 4" speaker issues are solved. They now sound just like the front dash speakers with bass and cone movement.

Screenshot_20220130-205118.png
I need to try this. I haven’t messed with Forscan yet but I have what I need. Just a bit intimidated by the process

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Give it a try. Instantly solved my 4" rear speaker issues.

You will lose occupancy modes where you can choose rear/front listening modes but I can live without that as long as the rear speakers are actually working.
I'll be trying on my lunch break today and report back! That feature is useless in the Bronco anyway, but my wife does use it in her Explorer.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be trying on my lunch break today and report back! That feature is useless in the Bronco anyway, but my wife does use it in her Explorer.
After first installing the rear 4" speakers the sound was way different than the front and I got zero movement outta the cones. Once I flashed the setting with forescan the radio rebooted and the 4" speakers were sounding and moving just like the fronts.

Video attached rocking some sick viet rap that I'm sure everyone here will love and enjoy

Attachments

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It can be done.

I buckled down and bought the sound bar that Ford is pushing (the JBL BB4000). It looks to be plug-n-play out of the box, because it uses the same connectors as the factory rear speakers. But, once you buy it, the installation instructions tell you to take it to the dealer after installing, so that the computer can be "flashed" to accept the sound bar.

I connected it up anyway without flashing it, and it sounded just like the factory rear speakers - high end unimpressive sound. I then took it to the dealer who "flashed" it for free. Then it performed like you would expect the sound bar to sound - full range and full of great sound.

Curious about this "flashing" business - just for kicks - I unplugged the sound bar and plugged back in the factory speakers I had removed - and viola - full sound range from the little factory speaker pods.

I don't know why it comes from the factory with limited rear speakers that way - but clearly it is intentionally limited.

To "flash" the audio, the sound bar instructions say you must have the FDRS software ACM (audio control module) to perform the "Audio Front Control
Module (ACM) Software Update." The trick then is - find out how to do that (or get the dealer to do the flash) without buying the sound bar.

The good thing is that I was able to tap into the rear speakers (instead of running wires all the way up to the front kick panel speakers) to add my subwoofer.

With the sound bar I've got the range all around and with a sub I'm done.

STILL - I wonder if I would have needed the sound bar if I could just broaden the range of the rear speaker pods.

Anyway - if this hasn't been posted before (I didn't find it - sorry if this is a repeat)- there's the answer.
You could make some side money I’d pay $100 or so for you to help pop it in my bronco ride with me to the dealer for the flash then help you out it back in yours 😂

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After first installing the rear 4" speakers the sound was way different than the front and I got zero movement outta the cones. Once I flashed the setting with forescan the radio rebooted and the 4" speakers were sounding and moving just like the fronts.

Video attached rocking some sick viet rap that I'm sure everyone here will love and enjoy
What the hell!? Why isn't this stickied somewhere!?
Easy fix if that the case.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to try this. I haven’t messed with Forscan yet but I have what I need. Just a bit intimidated by the process
This is a good easy start then you can do things like add all the GOAT modes and turn off the key fob leaving the vehicle honk etc. Tons of good info on these forums for stuff you can mod

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Love the speaker install, but tell me more about the leather seats. Are they Katzkins? I like the color combo. Do you mind sharing what it is.
Looks like the roast interior to me

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Solved the issues for my 4" rear speakers. I would definitely give it a try if you already have or plan to get a forescan device. The device allows for a ton of great mods.
I have a reader and Forscan. I’ll give it a try. I actually like the Driver mode though. But, that’s because I don’t hear shit coming out of the back speakers anyhow.

What is that code actually doing?
Sponsored