First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wanted to get a cargo basket for my 4-door, and I saw there were several options out there ranging around $350-$700, but they didn't seem to cover the entire cargo area and I had to buy extra pieces to attach it to my Bronco (i.e. Molle Panels). I stumbled across a full-sized cargo basket for from Hooke-Road for under $200 (after coupon that I found online).

https://www.hookeroad.com/products/ford-bronco-4-door-hardtops-interior-cargo-rack-shelf-b8907s

My impressions so far:

Pros:

1. It seems very sturdy and doesn't squeak as I drive around.

2. It sits at the about 3 inches above the height of the tailgate and so it provides some security in the cargo area for when the top is off. However, if someone really wanted to get in, they could just fold down the back seats and crawl under it. But for the quick snatch-and-grab thief it is a great obstacle. In the picture, you can see there is about an arms width between the tailgate and the edge of the tray.

3. It has plenty of surface area to put things on and seems high enough, just at the tailgate level, to put coolers underneath with still some room to sneak some stuff in between.

4. It was packaged very nicely and shipped to me pretty quick.

5. Did I mention that I paid under $200!!

6. It seems to be black powder coated, so we'll see how long the finish lasts, but my initial inspection of the finish is great. The colors match the MIC color pretty good too so it looks OEM.

7. There's plenty of slots to tie things down to it. The basket comes with a cargo net (that I didn't install yet) to secure things on top of the basket - I am sure that will come in handy when I need it.

Cons:

1. It is heavy and sort of a pain to install (even if I had two people) given that it takes up the entire area. I found that if I stood up a piece of carry-on luggage underneath it, it was the perfect height to hold the basket while I screwed in all of the bolts and nuts.

2. I have to remove it each time I take the top on/off. So it will add an hour or so to your time if you plan on taking the basket out and back on again as you take on and off the top. I wonder if the other suppliers who use a molle attachment require the unit to be take out with each top swapping, I am thinking probably not.

3. I am not sure if it works with the soft top. I would think it would, you just need the HT bolts maybe.

It took me about 30 minutes to install after figuring out using to use my luggage to hold it up. I had to unscrew 3 bolts on each side where the hard top if screwed down to attach the mounts. Then I attached the tray to the mounts with 3-4 bolts on each side (again while using the luggage to hold it up). I had an old netting from my VW SUV that I attached to each side of the rack. It easily hangs there so that I can put things like sports equipment, groceries, etc that I don't want to roll around. I also plan to add an LED strip to the underside of the tray to go along with the LED strip that I'll be installing in the cargo flip-top door that several people on here have done. So I am sure the cargo area will then be lit nicely from above and down below. I'll be looking to find a piece of thin rubber or felt to cut out to size to put inside the basket to cut down on any metal-to-metal contact too.

Here's some pics....

Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0352
Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0355
Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0356
Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0353
Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0354

Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review IMG_0360

I hope you all find this useful in your search for a cargo basket.
Sponsored

Taco2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude, not giving up on Hooker huh? Can't say I blame you...this shelf looks great!

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks pretty good! If I was in the market for this, it’d be a top contender - but my dog likes being able to move around back there sooo

Sponsored
OP
OP

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the same one.
Question; one of the brackets came preinstalled with foam. Did both your brackets?
Mine didn't have the foam attached, they were rolled up inside the box. I wasn't sure where those were supposed to go. Was it under the left and right metal brackets to go between the metal and the hardtop, or somewhere else? So right now I'm foam free :)

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks pretty good! If I was in the market for this, it’d be a top contender - but my dog likes being able to move around back there sooo
This is my challenge, finding one I can remove quickly when it's time to put the dog in. I think I'm going with JCR MOLLE to get the pet divider and combining with rainglers cargo area cover.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write-up!! I suggest you don't put heavy metallic things on it because the basket will act like a spring board. I only use mine now with lightweight fabric items. I've removed 80% of what you see pictured below.

ybIJPuH.jpg

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Run to your local box store, buy some aluminum angle, drill and bolt it to the bottom. That should stiffen up and reduce the spring board effect

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the spacing to the roll bar? This might be the solution I need for easier transport of the way to large tent that I decided to but.

Sponsored
OP
OP

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is the spacing to the roll bar? This might be the solution I need for easier transport of the way to large tent that I decided to but.
If you are asking what the height is between the tray and the bottom of the roll bar above it, that measurement is about 13 7/8". But note that there is a ton of space where the roll bar is not above the shelf, probably 85% of it goes up to the roof. Let me know if that isn't clear, or if you need some pics.

Also the height from the floor of the cargo area to the bottom of the shelf is 22".

OP
OP

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great write-up!! I suggest you don't put heavy metallic things on it because the basket will act like a spring board. I only use mine now with lightweight fabric items. I've removed 80% of what you see pictured below.

Ford Bronco Full-Sized Cargo Rack Shelf (Hooke Road) Review ybIJPuH
I was thinking of using that space to put sleeping bags, duffle bags, maybe some smaller cargo boxes, suitcases, etc and put the heavier items below (i.e ice chest, heavier cargo boxes, etc). Will the cargo boxes on top not be good?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking of using that space to put sleeping bags, duffle bags, maybe some smaller cargo boxes, suitcases, etc and put the heavier items below (i.e ice chest, heavier cargo boxes, etc). Will the cargo boxes on top not be good?
My guess would be No. I’m just carrying sleeping bag, blanket, pillows and rags up there now. Your results may vary though. Test it out before you go on a long trip and see how it works for you.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine didn't have the foam attached, they were rolled up inside the box. I wasn't sure where those were supposed to go. Was it under the left and right metal brackets to go between the metal and the hardtop, or somewhere else? So right now I'm foam free :)
One of my brackets came with precut foam already installed. It was on bottom of the bracket (between it and the hard top) and on the side where the shelf bolts to the bracket.
I reached out to H&R but they didnt know was I was talking about and resent the strips of foam IDK
I bolted it up to make sure it fit but have since removed. Ill probably reinstall this weekend.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now we just need one for the 2 door. Good to see more affordable options.
Sponsored