Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond 2013 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered the soft top version but they sent it without instructions. Does anyone have them? I'm so annoyed that they are not in the packaging and they are not posted on their website. WTAF.

Any luck getting this installed?

Looking to get a rack but have soft top as well and would like to know how much you actually have to remove to be able to put the top back in the warmer weather.
Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt it as the load is more dispersed than the stock mounting bracket. JCR has been around the block with Jeeps, so I assume they've tested this.

The flexing and sounds that this was making before the install weren't good. It was clear that it was stressing that bracket and backing out the factory bolts.

Have you ever taken off your factory roof?
Only once when installing my Trailrax roof rack. Haven’t ever experienced any creaking or odd noises before or after the install, so I haven’t had much concern about the stock support brackets.

I don’t doubt JCR has done their research and testing with this. I just find it interesting the issue you experienced and the sagging roof others have reported are only happening with the Hooke and JCR (at least as far as I know of) racks, which also happen to share the same feature of the disconnecting front half of the rack. This leads me to believe there may be a design flaw in their approach. If they’re coming out with braces and support brackets to remedy their issues, I’d just be cautious about those potentially leading to other issues down the road.

Again, just my thoughts, I only have experience with the roof rack I have installed.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only once when installing my Trailrax roof rack. Haven’t ever experienced any creaking or odd noises before or after the install, so I haven’t had much concern about the stock support brackets.

I don’t doubt JCR has done their research and testing with this. I just find it interesting the issue you experienced and the sagging roof others have reported are only happening with the Hooke and JCR (at least as far as I know of) racks, which also happen to share the same feature of the disconnecting front half of the rack. This leads me to believe there may be a design flaw in their approach. If they’re coming out with braces and support brackets to remedy their issues, I’d just be cautious about those potentially leading to other issues down the road.

Again, just my thoughts, I only have experience with the roof rack I have installed.

Very fair! I was unaware this seemed like a "2-piece" rack issue. The reason why I asked about the stock support brackets was because I noticed they're soooo thin and the leverage (shown in video) seems very excessive. I understand this was to make it easy to access to take off the rear cap, but for people like us with full-time roof racks and things always on top it makes sense to support the weight.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Howdy everyone!

I figured I'd give you guys an update on the rack. Functionality-wise, everything is working as it should and holding up pretty well.

The added weather stripping to help mediate the wind noise HAS done some damage to the paint around the trim. This is somewhat my fault as I haven't been as diligent as I should be cleaning under the trim, but it's something I want everyone to be aware of who has this extra piece installed.

YES it reduces the wind noise and I'd still recommend it for that, BUT PLEASE install PPF around your windshield. The funny this is I have PPF installed on both driver and passenger sides around the windshield....but not on top. Welp.

This is likely going to need a quick repaint in the future, maybe I'll do this in the spring/summer and then wait a bit to get it properly PPF'd.

The other option is get it painted in spring/summer and work to create a custom wind fairing that doesn't actually sit on the body, but very close to it. Might play around with that idea, too.

Either way, it'll be resprayed and PPF'd eventually. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Pics of damage (this goes all the way along the edge where the stripping has rubbed away paint):

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_2650.JPG

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_2651.JPG

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was indicated that Hooke has a new design to prevent the wind noise. They have been very uncooperative so far in seeing if the front piece can be retrofitted. Perhaps you can reach out to them for clarity?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was indicated that Hooke has a new design to prevent the wind noise. They have been very uncooperative so far in seeing if the front piece can be retrofitted. Perhaps you can reach out to them for clarity?

I asked about this and apparently it can't be retrofitted as it's a new design...so they say. I have the new design rack getting shipped out first part of February to test that theory. I will first see if I can make the new fairing fit.

If it doesn't, then I'll assemble the rack and see what's different from the V1.

Stay tuned!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked about this and apparently it can't be retrofitted as it's a new design...so they say. I have the new design rack getting shipped out first part of February to test that theory. I will first see if I can make the new fairing fit.

If it doesn't, then I'll assemble the rack and see what's different from the V1.

Stay tuned!
Thank you!

I assume it won't work so I'm also going to look at making an alternative front plate.

Elekktrik

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stay tuned!
Hey I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on the updated version. Thanks!

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you!

I assume it won't work so I'm also going to look at making an alternative front plate.
Same! Would love to hear about the improved design and wind noise. Been waiting to pull the trigger on this one as a stop gap until I can grab a trailrax.

Born2Drive

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@swooshdave Thank you for pointing me to the rubber weather stripping. I've been trying to reach @jacobrdoty for months, as I noticed he had it on this later videos. I guess he is making too much $ from his affiliate links to reply to common people like me. ;(
I’ve removed the rubber strip and I’m planning on making a plastic dam. More later.

Born2Drive

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve removed the rubber strip and I’m planning on making a plastic dam. More later.
@swooshd Why? Did it not work? What is the issue?
Sponsored