LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep track of my gas mileage with an app called Road Trip. Mine is a 2.7 2-dr Badlands stock on factory 33” KO2s.

After 27K miles, I’m at 18.89. Bought at the end of July 2023. You can see the drop during the winter months on the moving average curve. Starting to come back up now as the weather warms up and transitioning from winter to summer blend.

And as others notice too, my mileage is best when doing 40-60. Any freeway driving especially with any head or cross wind and the mileage drops like a rock.

Remember we are driving bricks on wheels. :p

Went to Moab in Feb and over 3 days of wheeling avg was just under 8 mpg.

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost 1714136222770-df
Sponsored

Mark

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I keep track of my gas mileage with an app called Road Trip. Mine is a 2.7 2-dr Badlands stock on factory 33” KO2s.

After 27K miles, I’m at 18.89. Bought at the end of July 2023. You can see the drop during the winter months on the moving average curve. Starting to come back up now as the weather warms up and transitioning from winter to summer blend.

And as others notice too, my mileage is best when doing 40-60. Any freeway driving especially with any head or cross wind and the mileage drops like a rock.

Remember we are driving bricks on wheels. :p

Went to Moab in Feb and over 3 days of wheeling avg was just under 8 mpg.

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost 1714136222770-df
Does the "Eco" setting make much difference?

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I noticed in my ‘22 Wildtrak that I have had improved mileage in the last 6-9 months without any mods with 87 octane fuel and in normal mode, 18.4! Sticker had 17 MPG, so shocked was better.

Anyone else notice this or even suggestions to improve besides driving in ECO mode?

IMG_0533.jpeg
i have a 2021 bd 4dr softy 2.7 running 36x12.5x17 very aggressive tires
i have a full k$n air intake system and a full borla touring exhaust and bov
in normal mode and 4a i get approx. 23/24 all the time and yes mpgs went up as it broke in also
and yes its ceramoiced not washed lol

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost IMG_2685

EvilJim1971

Heritage
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have found it too be a lot more dependent on your driving habits than on the octane.
I have run 87,89, and 91... but mostly 89.
But it looks like the stations moving from winter blend to summer blend is making a difference.
And my Heritage 2.3 manual lives in Sport mode.
Screenshot_20240426-083115.png
Screenshot_20240426-083159.png

Last edited:

williamshafer

Black Diamond
First Name
William Shafer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I noticed in my ‘22 Wildtrak that I have had improved mileage in the last 6-9 months without any mods with 87 octane fuel and in normal mode, 18.4! Sticker had 17 MPG, so shocked was better.

Anyone else notice this or even suggestions to improve besides driving in ECO mode?

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost Screenshot_20240426-083159
I've consistently got 19-20 mpg around town with my 2.3 and 2.7. But I do use 93 most of the time.

Sponsored

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm at 19.3 over 9200 miles on my '23 BB Sasquatch 2.7 4 dr. Staying out of the boost is a big part of it, so is speed on highway trips. At 75 mph, I can eke out mid 18s, if I push it to 80 or 82, it drops into the 16 range. The Bronco is a lot of things, but it ain't aerodynamic. Pushing that box through an 80 mph hurricane puts the 2.7 in the boost much more frequently. Hard to believe but a friend's '23 F-150 4x4 crew cab, 2.7 and 18" wheels gets 21-23 pretty easily under the same highway conditions.

Mark

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don’t know really. I think it’s marginal. I tried to use it a bit but it drives like such a dog in Eco mode that I just leave it in regular mode.
Thanks, man. I probably will not use it much, but I thought I would ask. You don't drop c. 50K on a Bronco to "drive like a dog," as you say...

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are a few more graphs showing trends for driving type, temp and octane…

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost IMG_2753

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost IMG_2751

Ford Bronco Gas Mileage Boost IMG_2752

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
LOL, now I need to do a Shell/Costco/Meijer fuel mileage run off.
Nothing like wasting a few hundred on gas to determine the best fuel for mileage, LOL!!!

Mobil stations are few and far by me, Shell only slightly better, but at least there is one in my hometown.

Edit to clarify that Costco's are Top Tier ...IF.. their supply terminal at each location offers it.
Haha yeah I used to always run BP in my mustang when I had it, then did the same with the Bronco because the BP station was more convenient. Few times I had to fill up elsewhere(Shell/Mobil) I noticed improved MPG so last year I did a test. Did 2 fill ups at BP, then 2 fill ups at shell and shell provided better MPG every time

Sponsored

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya, the compooter is always about 1-1.5 MPG optimistic.
Probably to assuage that EPfuckinA 100MPG fleet mileage requirement.
Since I calculate every tank and have been for 27K miles, I’ve seen mine be off as much as 2 mpg! Sometimes it’s right on. Most often the gauge is 1-1.5 optimistic.

On a previous F150 (2016), there was a setting you could offset the fuel mileage meter in the cluster’s “engineering mode”. That way you could make it match calculated mileage much more closely. I don’t know if or how to do it on the Bronco’s gauge.

JeffL.

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
in normal mode using regular, I have been able to get upwards of 22 MPG.
I have a ’23 4dr Big Bend with 2.3

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Guys, is there any consensus on the optimum octane level for our Broncos?
Not sure if there is notable difference between 91 and 93 (I can't get 93 in CA), but Premium definitely has benefits for both performance and MPG. Don't go thinking the benefit of MPG will offset the additional cost there though, I don't think it's that dramatic. I also don't think going to octane (or ethanol mixing) beyond that will help, but I can't say I've tested it - stock factory mapping only goes so far. Ford Performance Tune requires at least 91, but again, I don't think it gets any benefits beyond 93, whereas several aftermarket tuners can tune for ethanol / performance beyond basic pump Premium.

Has anyone else noticed that they get worse MPG on the interstate? I drive 30 minutes a day on a state highway going 60mph. If I do a trip a few hours away running mostly interstate, I calculate 1.5-2 MPG lower.
Yup. Aerodynamics. MPG drops dramatically after about 60 mph (directly proportional to the wind noise levels)

Does the "Eco" setting make much difference?
Depends here. If you are in a lot of stop and go - it can. But for every person who says Eco mode helps them out, I probably see 2 that say Sport mode (or Ford Performance Tune) helped them out to much the same extent. It's all about minimizing the time you spend with the turbo spooled, if that's accelerating like molasses or going through the gears fast enough to dip in and out of it and get to cruising - it's different for different drivers. Both Eco and Sport affect transmission shift points and accelerator sensitivity, just in different directions.

Pygmy Warrior

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 2.3L , 2023 Bronco 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I changed my break in oil this past Monday and I have noticed an increase in fuel mileage. Maybe the full synthetic has better lubricity than Fords break in oil?

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2023 4 door Sas gets 19.6 according to the onboard computer. I haven’t hand measured it. But my commute is mostly country roads driving 50-60 mph which is the MPG sweet spot.

I experimented with 93 fuel (in my area it’s 87, 89 or 93) and didn’t notice much improvement. However I did notice the performance difference and I think I had a heavier foot with the higher octane. Similarly some people claim sport mode gets them better mpg but not me because I actually use it lol

Eco mode simply reduces the throttle response while accelerating so you are less likely to rev too high. It doesn’t make a huge difference to me and it’s annoying to have to switch to it all the time so I stay in normal 2H for most of my driving.
Sponsored