Sponsored

Glass shop scratched paint around windshield, is this normal?

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was my first time ever needing to get a windshield replaced today (thanks Bronco) and the glass shop scratched the inner painted surface at the corner of the windshield. Is this normal? They told me it was because of how tight the windshield is. They offered to get a paint touch up pen to fix it. Also there is a small spot in the corner of the windshield that is already delaminating. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or did I get bad service?
IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg
No Bronco windshield issues yet, but I’ve had several windshields replaced over the years and never had any damage or problems. I believe Safelite was always the ins. co recommended shop. You should specify an OEM Ford windshield to whomever does the work to be sure the safety features all work properly. They usually have to be calibrated after the new glass is installed Safelite had no issues doing that with my Cadillac but my wife’s Acura had to go to the dealer and they had to order a new camera for the adaptive cruise control. Several steps to the dance but it all worked out fine and Safelite and Acura arm wrestled over the calibration and camera cost. I’d definitely ask for the scratch to be professionally repaired and the defective glass replaced.
Sponsored

MotoVexGT

Badlands
First Name
Ahnamataeus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was replaced by a Safelite shop. It was in/out quickly with no damage.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somewhere on here is another Bronco owner that had a windshield repairman sit on his door and/or A pillar and mess it up. Had video and everything.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

No, not normal. My Brother was in the the glass business since the late 60’s. There’s a reason all the body shops used his service when working on nice or older vehicles.

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was my first time ever needing to get a windshield replaced today (thanks Bronco) and the glass shop scratched the inner painted surface at the corner of the windshield. Is this normal? They told me it was because of how tight the windshield is. They offered to get a paint touch up pen to fix it. Also there is a small spot in the corner of the windshield that is already delaminating. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or did I get bad service?
IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg
Not okay on multiple levels. Did they even do the work correctly such as the cut out and reseal? The windshield needs to be replaced again and correctly. The glass is clearly delaminated and if they have scratched the paint it needs more than a paint pen.
The glass is an integral part of structural strength ( just look at the recalls for improper glass installation that NHTSA has had for different manufacturers including F-150).
Make a big deal of that. They did a crappy job.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I paid out of pocket, with no glass coverage. It was about $580 CAD. After picking the vehicle up I went straight to my insurance company and got glass coverage.
Ouch. I should probably check my insurance policy. Also agree with @Sinnin7 that a protective covering (tape or something) on the window frame painted surface during install seems worthwhile.

Years ago I had a cheap shop next to a salvage yard, replace the rear hatch glass in our old Geo Storm. They were quick, and I don't recall any scratched paint.

By the way does anyone drive around with a broken windshield anymore? Back in the day when my CJ hood flipped up while driving and cracked the windshield, I drove around like that for maybe a year before getting it repaired, lol. Maybe on a new Bronco though there is more incentive to get it fixed.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Safelite replaced mine no issues.
Same here. They came to my house and did it in my driveway and let me ask a bunch of questions while they were doing it. They would have had to be rather careless to scratch it. I was totally happy with how mine turned out.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg
no not normal just poor job

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Safelite replaced mine no issues.
Same here. They came to my house and did it in my driveway and let me ask a bunch of questions while they were doing it. They would have had to be rather careless to scratch it. I was totally happy with how mine turned out.
Same here, satellite replaced, not a scuff or scratch to be found.
Sponsored