First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that you are biting off a bit much for Sunday. The roads up the canyons will be a shit show with the weekend crowd. Moab is also not a hop, skip and a jump from SLC. It is an easy drive, and you will miss much by driving at night.

If you can, I’d fly into Montrose. You will be closer to Moab, and can choose desert, or skiing Telluride. The drive will be much, much cooler. Head to Ouray and over the Million Dollar HWY for a more scenic route.

Once in Moab, stay put. There is lots to do. I see a lot of people hit as many destinations in a week as possible. I don’t get it. I’d rather go deep than skim through half a dozen places.

Look up Sheri Griffith and / Western Spirit in Moab to see what they have going on. A 4 day mtn bike on the White Rim would be doable, if you are in average physical condition.

March in Moab will be right at the start of prime touron season..
Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it were me I would plan on at least a few days in Moab. Spend a day in a rental jeep, another day in Arches, and another day just enjoying the area. If you try to hit every NP and every site in the area, you'll be doing a shit load of driving and not spend enough time to do any of it justice. You can rent jeeps in Moab that are set up for moderate trails and they will tell you what trails to stay off of - they don't want you to take their rental on Pritchett Canyon or other similar trails. My wife and I spent a week in a Moab Airbnb a couple of years ago. We didn't want to go to the trouble of towing our trail rig and we wanted to visit family in SLC, so we rented a jeep for a couple of days. It was great - we did Hells Revenge and hooked up with Dan Mick on the trail. He had some clients in his jeep and he asked if we wanted to tag along. I know Dan so we followed him around - think he wanted the compnay. The next day we did Fins & Things and a few other short trails. It was the best time I can remember in Moab and I've been there dozens of times. No schedule, no time contraints, perfect!

As was mentioned above, there are some good hikes in Arches that will keep you busy and provide access to some beautiful scenery. I would also recommend Dead Horse Point - a short drive from Moab. Interesting history on how it got its name and also hiking opportunities.

What you don't get to, just use as an excuse to go back.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s fair. My other concern would be how capable a rental jeep from Hertz or Enterprise would be.
The primary rental car firms have exclusions for being able to take a Jeep off road…..with GPS location technology, we decided not to do it when we rented a JeepWrangler Sport (stock street tires) in SLC for our trip to Moab. Moab does have Jeep rentals with no such restrictions. For a 1 week trip starting in SLc, going skiing in the local area, then on to Moab and Grand Canyon, 1 week won’t cut it due to mileage. Its 225 miles to Moab from SLC and another 325 miles from Moab to South side of Grand Canyon. For what you want to do, that’s closer to a 2 week long trip, as Zion and Bryce Canyon Natl Parks are a very worthwhile visit…..especially Zion if you like to hike (Angels Landing trail)

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with the above posts saying stay in Moab and do more there. Your pass for the NP is good for the week, you just pay the $2 reservations fee each time, and the money you would spend on driving to all those places could be spent doing more in Moab. Rent a Jeep, rent a side by side, eat, wheel and love in Moab for the week.

So much to do.

After your Off Roadeo you'll be able to practice, in a Jeep on easier trails some of what you learned. And, if you tell the instructors that you're staying in Moab for the week, and all who will listen, including here, you'll have two weeks of stuff to cram into one week.

Eat at Pasta Jay's, a great place to eat in Boulder, CO and they opened their second and only other location in Moab, UT. That not exactly close to Boulder, so what's that say about the owners liking Moab?

Now for the bad news, if you already have reservations at the other places, it's going to cost more to get a place in Moab now than it would have four months ago, but there are a lot of options for a decent price and the monies saved in not driving to kingdom come can go to that too.

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did the Moab off rodeo A little over two years ago. There are other jeep rental places. I had arranged to have one waiting at the airport. If my memory serves correct, I believe the company I use was called Jenns jeeps. If I could recommend going anywhere, it would be the trail called chicken corners. When you reach the end of the trail at the point where you have to turn around, get out and walk the tiny path around the ledge, and you will be blown away by the view. You will quickly realize why it is called chicken corner. Don’t look down. This area can be seen from other viewpoints, but chicken corner is the best. If you make it to canyonlands observatory, you will be looking down at the area that is chicken corners. They also do helicopter rides over that area.
1704419941978.jpeg
How long does Chicken's Corner take to do? Is it feasible to do it in the morning to midday and then hit something like Fin's and Things in the afternoon?

Sponsored

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long does Chicken's Corner take to do? Is it feasible to do it in the morning to midday and then hit something like Fin's and Things in the afternoon?
I’m going off of memory now. But I believe we started our morning around 930 and did kanes Creek to chicken corners and then back to town to catch a 1 PM flight

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Bronco Badlands Lux Non-Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are tons of off-road specific rental companies in Moab - most of the name brand companies don't even allow you to leave pavement if you read the fine print.

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are tons of off-road specific rental companies in Moab - most of the name brand companies don't even allow you to leave pavement if you read the fine print.
Yep, I ended up setting up a reservation through twisted jeeps for the day after the Off-Roadeo.

RedShiftWT81650

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Rent a day jeep and take a few runs.. some trails are so easy and worth it.. fins and things is one I recommend.. jeeps are fun, just as fun as the bronco.
mill canyon dinosaur track site is dope.. there’s also a sweet short hike near the track site that takes you along rock outcroppings that contain large Dino fossils..
Willow springs road also has Dino tracks..
If you get stuck call trail mater… lots of fun things to do and see..
Sponsored

Last edited: