Sponsored

Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics)

Njchris1968

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford e350 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
These two are the closest setup to what I want to do. Thanks so much for sharing!

What are the dimensions of the shelf the top is resing on?

Anything you would change having used this setup for a while?

Cheers!
I did not do much else other tack weld it all. But it has worked great
Sponsored

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to replace my wood cross-member and hooks with angle brackets like the recent post above but this is working REALLY well for me so far. I can do it myself in 10-15 minutes including roof panels. Shelf folds flat against wall. I didn't leave myself as much clearance at the ceiling as I would have liked so I have to angle it down a bit when sliding it back to the shelf. But, it works great.

If I do end up replacing the cross-member, I'll gain an inch or two which is all I need. I also think the angle brackets would put less of a torsional strain on the slots in the roof than these hooks.

I add the forward lines (very low-strength lines) after all is done - there is very little weight on them, but there is a little. I let an inch of slop out of the pulley system when done to take load off slots but I do tie it off for a safety in case something fails. I'd be surprised if there is 10 pounds of weight on the forward lines.

You might notice the small 2x4 sections that the top is resting on. I do that to avoid the weight being on the edge of either of the pins or the "bottom lip" on the top. I'd rather it rest on the "flange" as it would on the Bronco. I was going to put holes in the shelf to accommodate the pins but it was still resting on the lip. I doubt any of that matters much but I'm not taking any chances with the top.

I found that cross-member in refuse at a store from packing material - I probably do need to replace it but it works pretty well. U-Channel isn't cheap.

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_0472

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_7976

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_7975

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_7972

Last edited: