Sponsored

Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics)

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think of having a plate fabricated and using all thread? I did a quick sketch of what I am thinking. What diameter would not bend for this design?
Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) tempImageSDk6Yh
Sponsored

Gman06880

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4DR SAS, BMW M550, BMW iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you think of having a plate manufactured and using all thread? I did a quick sketch of what I am thinking. What diameter would not bend for this design?
tempImageSDk6Yh.jpg
I would think there would be too much flex with threaded rod unless its really heavy gauge.

Also, if there is too much flex on the rod, the end brackets may flex the slots in the hard top causing potential damage....at which point, the Unistrut makes more sense.

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I duplicated an idea from this post and it worked out terrific. The sliding hoist makes it simple to remove and store my hardtop away from the car. I have a soft top for summer season so this is a semi-permanent storage solution.

I think that the cross brace/support would work great for suspended storage also.

It's nice to have low profile setup to clear ceiling and maximize shelf height.

for storing on a surface, I added a wooden spacer to keep the locator pins from taking long term weight.
Do you happen to have a parts list for the end brackets you created? This is exactly what I need as the 5' strap with end hooks ended up being just a little too long for my ceiling.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm particularly interested in the balance point - that looks like a little far back to lift with reasonable balance. As near as I can tell, the slots are just about right.
I find it interesting that that is a good balance point, but I would run a third strap to the front end for insurance. And stacking the other panels on top only begs cracking the top.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I duplicated an idea from this post and it worked out terrific. The sliding hoist makes it simple to remove and store my hardtop away from the car. I have a soft top for summer season so this is a semi-permanent storage solution.

I think that the cross brace/support would work great for suspended storage also.

for storing on a surface, I added a wooden spacer to keep the locator pins from taking long term weight.
I really like the rigid bar idea.

Sponsored

Gman06880

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it interesting that that is a good balance point, but I would run a third strap to the front end for insurance. And stacking the other panels on top only begs cracking the top.
Believe it or not, the rear roof rack slots are the perfect balance points....the top lifts straight and flat. It's also nice to have one attach point so I can rotate the top from storage to installation.

The only panel I store on the top is the center panel that doesn't weigh much...I don't expect any problems from that. I agree that any more would be a concern.

Gman06880

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you happen to have a parts list for the end brackets you created? This is exactly what I need as the 5' strap with end hooks ended up being just a little too long for my ceiling.
I used 2 inch 90deg. steel angle that was 1/4 inch thick that I had laying around...…I ended up milling off approx. 1/6" thickness on the flat to let it slide into the roof rack gaps without interference.

If I was to do it again, I would start with 3/16" 2 inch angle to simplify the project. It would be strong enough and no milling.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Best use for the OEM carpet floor mats I've seen so far! 😂

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So I finally got my brother down here to help me build my hoist. I'm ultimately happy with the concept but it definitely needs some refining. The flat hooks from customtiedowns will only work if you don't add any felt or neoprene protecting material - they are super heavy duty and thus too thick for the application. I had added an ultra thin layer of neoprene to mine and they basically got stuck after the first lift. I didn't get a chance to add my floating shelf but I will work on that as new hooks have been ordered and I'll wait to see if they will work better. Here's some pics. Oh and yes I extended the remote on the HF Hoist but didn't think to extend the power cord 🤦‍♂️. That's also a project for another day. But overall the hoist works and it definitely makes it easier. Other observation - if you are shorter than 5'9" the level of difficulty to manually take the center panel or the roof off increases exponentially due to the width of the flares and stretching to walk it over the rear section of roof.

PXL_20230917_192244037.jpg

PXL_20230917_192108059.jpg

PXL_20230917_183649384.jpg

PXL_20230917_180917957.jpg

PXL_20230917_164349875.MP.jpg

PXL_20230917_144945755.jpg

PXL_20230917_135507974.jpg

PXL_20230917_135251149.jpg

PXL_20230917_135223057.jpg

PXL_20230410_185338518.jpg

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm currently working on a 4 point system w/ electric winch using these:

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) PXL_20230410_185338518

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) PXL_20230410_185338518
Did you ever get this to work - ordered a set - seem WAY TOO SMALL to be useful. Would love to see if you have gotten it to work.

Sponsored

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The actual hoist is looking like more of an upcoming winter project but I can assure you that these are more than enough to pick up the hardtop. Since I'll be using 4 of them, each one only needs to support 20ish lbs. The plan is to have a couple 2x4s suspended from chains that I can swing under the top once lifted for longer term storage so it's not hanging by the hooks for long periods of time.

Did you ever get this to work - ordered a set - seem WAY TOO SMALL to be useful. Would love to see if you have gotten it to work.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The actual hoist is looking like more of an upcoming winter project but I can assure you that these are more than enough to pick up the hardtop. Since I'll be using 4 of them, each one only needs to support 20ish lbs. The plan is to have a couple 2x4s suspended from chains that I can swing under the top once lifted for longer term storage so it's not hanging by the hooks for long periods of time.
I may give them a whirl but definitely a little nervous about them being so small - and also planning on the 2x4's suspended from the ceiling with unistrut and 3/8 threaded rod to support longer term.

Azpuck

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After months of research and forum reading.
hoist. $90
hardware. $30
strap. $30.

IMG_6571.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

Mammal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

IMG_0431.jpeg
IMG_0438.jpeg
IMG_0440.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpeg

I was trying to use less space.
7D3C4D9B-F98F-4781-9334-64AADE6717B0.jpeg
334FDE92-3FC5-421F-8FBD-34A7DE5EDDC7.jpeg
37BDE8EC-E553-4A2D-877C-FBE7C2DB7C78.jpeg

These two are the closest setup to what I want to do. Thanks so much for sharing!

What are the dimensions of the shelf the top is resting on?

Anything you would change having used this setup for a while?

Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited: