Sponsored

Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics)

krummy

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrack 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Another DYI solution. This is a new hoist I found on Amazon which is remote control and cheap. They also had a 20% off coupon so it was $168. Straps work well but I’ll probably order a new one the exact size soon to make it even easier.

IMG_0783.png

IMG_0780.jpeg
Sponsored

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another DYI solution. This is a new hoist I found on Amazon which is remote control and cheap. They also had a 20% off coupon so it was $168. Straps work well but I’ll probably order a new one the exact size soon to make it even easier.

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_0780

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_0780
That looks really useful for multiple purposes - how much clearance does it need? It looks like it might be even a little less than block and tackle.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm currently working on a 4 point system w/ electric winch using these:

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) 1684551727491

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) 1684551727491
Similar - I had these made at customtiedowns.com and will bolt them to a square cage made of HVAC unistrut. Using a Harbor Freight hoist (need to extend the wired remote) and then if all goes well a threaded rod support shelf to go under it and take the "storage weight" off the top (not sure I trust all the top issues to not get exacerbated by storing it suspended fully) and with the 2x3 supports holding the clamshell, I can place the front and mid panel on them (maybe a mesh cargo net in between them) . I figure this approach gives me maximum clearance since the pick point will be pretty much straight up and down and next to no lost angle of long straps etc.
Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) PXL_20230304_222545843

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love these two solutions.

@TXBrian I was gonna modify my setup this year with cross braces across the bottom similar to what you have done. I think it will support the roof nicely.

@Njchris1968 simply genius! Love the sliding track and simple shelf application!

I had a similar idea but I have cabinets on my back wall and cabinets or shelves on all the other walls which pushed me to ceiling storage.

I got home early today so decided to play around with some unistrut for more support instead of just having tie downs wrapped under and against the top.

The top is completely sitting on the unistrut with some 1/8” thick rubber pieces between the top and metal. Can pop them off in seconds and then lower the top with the hoist.

I was trying to use less space.

Sponsored

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar - I had these made at customtiedowns.com and will bolt them to a square cage made of HVAC unistrut. Using a Harbor Freight hoist (need to extend the wired remote) and then if all goes well a threaded rod support shelf to go under it and take the "storage weight" off the top (not sure I trust all the top issues to not get exacerbated by storing it suspended fully) and with the 2x3 supports holding the clamshell, I can place the front and mid panel on them (maybe a mesh cargo net in between them) . I figure this approach gives me maximum clearance since the pick point will be pretty much straight up and down and next to no lost angle of long straps etc.
PXL_20230304_222545843.jpg
What do you mean threaded rod support?

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After reading this thread I had a look at my 2 door, saw the rack mounts in the slots mentioned for lifting....so could a person use the rack itself as a lifting fixture?

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What do you mean threaded rod support?
After the top is hoisted - I don't want the weight of the top and the panels suspended from the "roof rack" points on the roof. So - I will be bolting additional pieces of unistrut to the garage ceiling along the sides of the clamshell. Then I will attach 3/8 or 1/2" threaded rod (no different than is done for HVAC support brackets) I will use 2x3's from left to right to create a floating shelf that the clamshell can "rest" on - not going to detach it from the hoist - just take the weight off slightly. See rough sketch.

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) PXL_20230524_204243973

Think of it something like this - but only a single layer - supporting the bottom of the clamshell that can then support the weight of the panels (maybe need some sort of cargo net or plywood "floor")

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) 1684961478354

Last edited:

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After reading this thread I had a look at my 2 door, saw the rack mounts in the slots mentioned for lifting....so could a person use the rack itself as a lifting fixture?
I wonder the same thing.
After the top is hoisted - I don't want the weight of the top and the panels suspended from the "roof rack" points on the roof. So - I will be bolting additional pieces of unistrut to the garage ceiling along the sides of the clamshell. Then I will attach 3/8 or 1/2" threaded rod (no different than is done for HVAC support brackets) I will use 2x3's from left to right to create a floating shelf that the clamshell can "rest" on - not going to detach it from the hoist - just take the weight off slightly. See rough sketch.

Think of it something like this - but only a single layer - supporting the bottom of the clamshell that can then support the weight of the panels (maybe need some sort of cargo net or plywood "floor")

Ah, yes, that makes sense - I'm going to use a shelf on the back quarter and don't have a problem suspending the front by the tabs -

Njchris1968

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford e350 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Love these two solutions.

@TXBrian I was gonna modify my setup this year with cross braces across the bottom similar to what you have done. I think it will support the roof nicely.

@Njchris1968 simply genius! Love the sliding track and simple shelf application!
Yea for me that was the way to go been working great although now I have the soft top on Till Fall.

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm sure some of the guys with more of an engineering background will chime in, but I don't think that the rack will be able to support it. The crossbars won't be stable enough I don't think.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

after watching the video and seeing that you have to unscrew the rack mounts to release it, I think the rack might be the most stable attachment. Kind of like the threaded rod idea but it's already built in. The rack itself will easily support a couple of kayaks. I figure it's plenty strong and stable enough. That would be for litfting, not storing, as I'd be more comfortable with the supported better on the bottom. Lots of suggestions here for the actual stowage.
I don't have a hoist set up yet, it's in the plans once I get past the 8,341 other chores and assorted honeydoos in the schedule.

Danh63

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Are you going to store it like that. I had one for my Jeep that I just left up on the ceiling (14ft) which mad it nice. People seem to think the Bronco top won't last with it stored with hooks like that. What is your opinion on it?

krummy

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrack 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have no concerns storing it like that. It’s only 60 lbs and the upwards force of a rack with surfboards or whatever on it are exponentially larger than that. If they can’t hold 60lbs then they wouldn’t be suitable for a rack.

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no concerns storing it like that. It’s only 60 lbs and the upwards force of a rack with surfboards or whatever on it are exponentially larger than that. If they can’t hold 60lbs then they wouldn’t be suitable for a rack.
I do. I don’t know why I would have any reason to worry. But I don’t trust the roof engineers. Short term dynamic loads is one thing. But even if I trusted them I doubt they would have tested for long term constant loads. Thermoplastics creep. Especially in tension. Ill be resting it on Something
Sponsored