Sponsored

Hard top users - what is your plan of attack for summer?

OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found a Ford OEM soft top about a year old on FB marketplace with all mounting hardware for $1700. Is that a good price you guys think?
Sponsored

Holiday

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a few days away from having my Bronco for a year. I have had the full hard top on and off again at least 20 times. No issues with the rear shell. I have a motorized hoist setup in my garage for the rear piece, which just hangs for storage. My ceilings are not high, but the garage is deep. I have to duck slightly if I back in the Bronco to get into the cargo area when the top is hanging. If I pull in straight, the hood sits under the rear roof. To remove or re-install everything it's about a 12 minute process. I have thought about the Skyrider, but can't justify the money when all I have to do is be mindful of the weather forecast.

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in Phoenix... I keep my roof on as to not be melted by the nuclear death ball in the sky.

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was storing the doors and front panels on the walls, in the OEM storage bags on a rubbermaid fasttrack system. Mounted the rails low, and used 2 or 3 ladder hooks per door, one door per rail. Positioned the doors on top of hooks as opposed to suspending them from hooks, positioned the bottom of the doors out so they lean against the wall. The clamshell was easy enough for me to remove by myself, and carry, the problem I had was putting it down, or getting it off the ground so I created a frame with some 2 x 4's and mounted them on some adjustable saw horses. the frame had holes drilled in for the alignment pins of the top so it would sit similar to if it was on the vehicle and keep the top from sliding off. The center panel was stored on top of the clamshell. I've since upgraded to a hoist, but will build a similar frame on wheels as I do not want to keep the clamshell dangling from the ceiling.
Two questions -- can we see a photo? And how do you have no trouble removing it by yourself? What's your technique? Video?

wkaotp

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Sprinter 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My top comes off at the end of June and stays off until late september. I have a Mesh bimini JTop and MGV interior. Using it like it was meant to be! To clean it i typically take my leaf blower once a week to the interior.

Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ordered a canvas top
from a user here that keeps the sun out and mostly the rain…. If you want to take a look and get his name PM me
I like that top he put together, it looks really good. I just wish it had the zippers so that I can just leave it on when I put the HT back up again.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Taking the panels off on my 2 door I just plan on leaving them in the storage bag at my house for in town driving. I don’t plan on removing them for off-road and storing them in Bronco because they take up too much room and hitting any bumps might damage the panels while in the storage bag. My 2 cents.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in Phoenix... I keep my roof on as to not be melted by the nuclear death ball in the sky.
The window between too cold, and way to damn hot is about 2 weeks.

Even when I drove a Mustang (with it's 2-latch, powered top) I only ever had the top down for a couple weeks in October, and maybe late March.

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like that top he put together, it looks really good. I just wish it had the zippers so that I can just leave it on when I put the HT back up again.
You can leave it on! Just undo the Side bungi and you you can reach in to latch the top! I do it all the time :cool:

Dabo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two questions -- can we see a photo? And how do you have no trouble removing it by yourself? What's your technique? Video?

I do not have a video of me taking the top off, but found a video of a guy doing pretty much the exact thing. . You can see his struggles start when he tries to put in on the ground. But basically you just sit in the back of the bed and push straight up. Only need to lift an inch or two to clear the pins, make sure you lift at the balance point, about a third from the rear depending if you have the window open or closed. Lift, scoot once, than stand. (make sure your rear hatch is not in your way or you will get caught on the tire ) Here is a picture of the first attempt at the saw horse jig. Excuse the mess as I thought it would be a good idea to paint the garage, but I did go back and add fasteners in place of the straps. I do not have all the rails back up as I ran out of good weather during the garage painting (this was October) and the mud and paint was starting to take a few days to dry so I stopped for the season. I Will throw the doors on the rails I do have up when I get a chance so you can have an idea of how it looks / functions.
Ford Bronco Hard top users - what is your plan of attack for summer? IMG_0458[1].JPG

Sponsored

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got a Cheap Sun Shade on Amazon for about $20, I am able to put it under the Hard Top, still need to use all the Loops properly, so far so good. Waiting for the Weather to get a bit Hot, right now we have about 50F.

signal-2023-04-21-12-09-24-289.jpg

signal-2023-04-21-12-05-08-854.jpg

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll probably end up getting this. Might wait until next year though & see what it's like this year first. I love the hot weather, live in Iowa and maybe used ac 2 or 3 times per year in my previous vehicle.

I have an apartment garage so not much room for carts or hoists. May even put this in my storage unit.

BeachBronco21

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This will be my second summer with my Bronco and I think I might spend the majority of it with my doors off and roof on. Last year I took the front and middle roof panels off all the time, but I found my passengers would get uncomfortable with the sun directly on them for longer than 5 min drives. I haven't seen any soft top/sunshade options that I like and I invested in the garage door storage bags over the winter. Doors off is a great feeling and I don't do any highway driving so I'll roll like that if the weather's good.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be my second summer with my Bronco and I think I might spend the majority of it with my doors off and roof on. Last year I took the front and middle roof panels off all the time, but I found my passengers would get uncomfortable with the sun directly on them for longer than 5 min drives. I haven't seen any soft top/sunshade options that I like and I invested in the garage door storage bags over the winter. Doors off is a great feeling and I don't do any highway driving so I'll roll like that if the weather's good.
Check out our shade, your passengers will stay nice and comfortable.
Mike

IMG_6033.jpeg