Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all,

I’ve never installed light or tinkered with electronics on any vehicle. Curious if anyone has installed these Rough Country ditch lights? I’m interested in them because they have a TON of lumens and won’t break the bank. I’ll get experience working on electronics and won’t mind leaving them on my Big Bend when the Badlands I plan to order comes in.

Here is the link:
https://www.roughcountry.com/3-inch...s-70904.html?find=2022-ford-bronco-4wd-856075

These look like they have their own switch and I’m trying to figure out how I’d be able to wire them into one of my upfitter switches.

If you’ve installed these lights or have advice on where to learn about how to install these I’d appreciate it!

PS I used the search function and read 10+ pages of the lighting subjects but couldn’t find anything about these specific lights or how to modify lights with a switch to be connected to an upfitter switch.
Sponsored

22BlackDiamondGreen

Black Diamond
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150 1955 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey all,

I’ve never installed light or tinkered with electronics on any vehicle. Curious if anyone has installed these Rough Country ditch lights? I’m interested in them because they have a TON of lumens and won’t break the bank. I’ll get experience working on electronics and won’t mind leaving them on my Big Bend when the Badlands I plan to order comes in.

Here is the link:
https://www.roughcountry.com/3-inch...s-70904.html?find=2022-ford-bronco-4wd-856075

These look like they have their own switch and I’m trying to figure out how I’d be able to wire them into one of my upfitter switches.

If you’ve installed these lights or have advice on where to learn about how to install these I’d appreciate it!

PS I used the search function and read 10+ pages of the lighting subjects but couldn’t find anything about these specific lights or how to modify lights with a switch to be connected to an upfitter switch.
You can install them to your switches -- installation was very easy

lift.jpg

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can install them to your switches -- installation was very easy

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR lift
I think the OP was asking HOW to install them to the switches, not if you can. Unfortunately I haven't installed any, so I can't answer their question as to HOW to install/wire them.

22BlackDiamondGreen

Black Diamond
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the OP was asking HOW to install them to the switches, not if you can. Unfortunately I haven't installed any, so I can't answer their question as to HOW to install/wire them.
You basically use the AUX switch to proved +12V and ground to the Bronco -- Completely bypassing the provided switch

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for the very detailed explanation. LOL

Sponsored

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't quote me on this because I don't have my Bronco yet so I haven't been able to try it, but from the research I've done in preparation I believe you would cut off their provided switch/relay and wire the positive wire to one of the prewired aux switches and then the other just to ground. I couldn't find a wire diagram on their website but I think if you contact them they should be able to help you with it. You should also double check amps to see which aux switch you'd like to wire it to.

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Good call @WheresMyBronco on reaching out to Rough Country...I'll do that too.

A few follow up questions for you @22BlackDiamondGreen

- How do you like the lights?
- Which Aux switch did you wire them to?
- Do the lights cause much extra wind noise that bothers you?
- Did you use any YouTube videos or tutorials on how to install?

Thanks!

22BlackDiamondGreen

Black Diamond
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Good call @WheresMyBronco on reaching out to Rough Country...I'll do that too.

Thanks!
Love all my lights -- They are on #2 -- I have a light bar so that is all the noise -- and I watch Youtube for everything hahaha

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey all,

Here is the link:

Hey Ted! I bought 2 pair of those lights, after I hit that deer. 1 set as ditch lights on the cowel. 1 set on the top corners of the bumper.
Wired them up to aux 5 and 6. I used the relay and the switch on the harness that came with the lights. Typing this on my phone right now but when I get back to a computer I can explain how I wired them up. I’ll try to get some pics.

how was the weekend trip? gophers did better than I’d imagine!

Last edited:

Geaux Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks!
I like these lights. We got them installed on Aux#2.
They whistle a little on highway speeds, but I find that the snapping on the covers makes them quieter on the highway.
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR CA3EB3CE-7F75-4ECB-BABC-B67DD59D5619

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Ted! I bought 2 pair of those lights, after I hit that deer. 1 set as ditch lights on the cowel. 1 set on the top corners of the bumper.
Wired them up to aux 5 and 6. I used the relay and the switch on the harness that came with the lights. Typing this on my phone right now but when I get back to a computer I can explain how I wired them up. I’ll try to get some pics.

how was the weekend trip? gophers did better than I’d imagine!
Awesome, if you don’t mind sharing how you wired them or any tutorials you watched I’d greatly appreciate it!

Gophers played amazing, pretty cool game for my kids first away game. Looks to be a special season coming together for them! #Ski-U-Mah! ROW THE BOAT!

All of the comments have been great and I feel like I’m ready to pull the trigger on these lights. I appreciate everyone’s comments.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome, if you don’t mind sharing how you wired them or any tutorials you watched I’d greatly appreciate it!

Gophers played amazing, pretty cool game for my kids first away game. Looks to be a special season coming together for them! #Ski-U-Mah! ROW THE BOAT!

All of the comments have been great and I feel like I’m ready to pull the trigger on these lights. I appreciate everyone’s comments.
Yea I'm pretty excited for the Gophers. True tests coming up.

These lights are crazy bright, pretty much 100 yards out into the field from the road. I picked them because not only do they shine forward but also angles out the sides. For under $200 a pair I think it's a good deal. First pair up on the cowl by the mirrors for distance out into the ditch and beyond. Second pair on top of the bumper corners for lower in the road and ditch. Can pretty much see glowing deer eyes before they hop into the road. My problem is constantly scanning left and right, then having the reaction time to stop quickly if I need to.

Ok, let's see if I can piece this all together. I give credit to @Dmorty217 as he gave me instruction and pointed me in the right direction. My install is a mess and I made it more complicated than it needs to be, so I'll avoid some pics.

Items you'll need
- wire cutters
- wire stripper (the harness that comes with the lights are 14-16 gauge wire, may want to upgrade to 12ga).
- socket set for the ground screw
- torx bit for the screw that mounts the light and cowl
- zip ties
- heat shrink tubing, wire connectors, lighter/mini torch, crimper

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR heatshrink.JPG
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR connectors.JPG
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR crimper.JPG
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR lighter.JPG

Mount the lights on the cowl. Remove the antenna and the 2 screws holding down the cowl. The outer screw will mount the light bracket. The inner screw will allow you to lift up the cowl to slip the light pigtail down behind into the engine bay. The pic shows the pigtail connected to the wiring harness. Do the same for the other side.

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR cowllights.JPG
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR pigtail

Here's the diagram that comes with the lights. It only shows one light but you'll have 2 sets of wires coming out of the relay to each of the lights. Rather than use the relay and fuse system in the Bronco's electrical box, I used the harness relay, fuse and switch (if I was going to melt a relay/fuse I'd rather do it on the harness). Only use the Aux switch to turn on/off the lights.

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR diagram.JPG

Refer to the diagram. Cut off the eyelet on the red + fused wire. Strip the wire and crimp on a male connector and heatshrink it. Pull out one of the aux wires. Determine which one you want to use:
Aux 1 = yellow
2 = green/brown stripe
3 = violet/green stripe
4 = brown
5 = blue/orange stripe
6 = yellow/orang stripe

Strip the wire and crimp on a female connector to your chosen aux wire and heatshrink it.

Connect that red wire to the aux wire.
Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR auxwire.JPG

Lay out the wiring harness, connect the ends of the harness to the light pigtails. I connected the harness relay and black - eyelet wire to the back wall ground screw above the aux wires. (my pic is actually on the passenger side but there is a ground screw right above the aux wires).

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR relayground

Run the wires from the passenger light across the back wall to where the aux wires are. Zip tie that section to the back wall somehow.

Turn on the harness red switch, which has the fuse in line. Leave this switch on always. The aux switch will actually be the on/off.

At this point you will see that the harness is like a spiderweb. Coil up each section of harness and zip tie each, give yourself some slack so you can zip tie the bundles to the fender or somewhere out of the way. This will better organize.

Everything should be connected at this point. Turn on your Bronco and try your aux switch.

I made this more complicated than it really is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These lights are crazy bright, pretty much 100 yards out into the field from the road. I picked them because not only do they shine forward but also angles out the sides. For under $200 a pair I think it's a good deal. First pair up on the cowl by the mirrors for distance out into the ditch and beyond. Second pair on top of the bumper corners for lower in the road and ditch. Can pretty much see glowing deer eyes before they hop into the road. My problem is constantly scanning left and right, then having the reaction time to stop quickly if I need to.

Ok, let's see if I can piece this all together. I give credit to @Dmorty217 as he gave me instruction and pointed me in the right direction. My install is a mess and I made it more complicated than it needs to be, so I'll avoid some pics.

Items you'll need
- wire cutters
- wire stripper (the harness that comes with the lights are 14-16 gauge wire, may want to upgrade to 12ga).
- zip ties

Ford Bronco Has anyone installed these Rough Country CHROME SERIES LED LIGHT PAIR relayground

Mount the lights on the cowl. Remove the antenna and the 2 screws holding down the cowl. The outer screw will mount the light bracket. The inner screw will allow you to lift up the cowl to slip the light pigtail down behind into the engine bay. The pic shows the pigtail connected to the wiring harness. Do the same for the other side.

Here's the diagram that comes with the lights. It only shows one light but you'll have 2 sets of wires coming out of the relay to each of the lights. Rather than use the relay and fuse system in the Bronco's electrical box, I used the harness relay, fuse and switch (if I was going to melt a relay/fuse I'd rather do it on the harness). Only use the Aux switch to turn on/off the lights.

Refer to the diagram. Cut off the eyelet on the red + fused wire. Strip the wire and crimp on a male connector and heatshrink it. Pull out one of the aux wires. Determine which one you want to use:
Aux 1 = yellow
2 = green/brown stripe
3 = violet/green stripe
4 = brown
5 = blue/orange stripe
6 = yellow/orang stripe

Strip the wire and crimp on a female connector to your chosen aux wire and heatshrink it.

Lay out the wiring harness, connect the ends of the harness to the light pigtails. I connected the harness relay and black - eyelet wire to the back wall ground screw above the aux wires. (my pic is actually on the passenger side but there is a ground screw right above the aux wires).

Run the wires from the passenger light across the back wall to where the aux wires are. Zip tie that section to the back wall somehow.

Turn on the harness red switch, which has the fuse in line. Leave this switch on always. The aux switch will actually be the on/off.

At this point you will see that the harness is like a spiderweb. Coil up each section of harness and zip tie each, give yourself some slack so you can zip tie the bundles to the fender or somewhere out of the way. This will better organize.

Everything should be connected at this point. Turn on your Bronco and try your aux switch.

Oh man! This is amazing!!! Thank you so much. Exactly what I was hoping for. So so so helpful. Thanks again!

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Items you'll need
- wire cutters
- zip ties

Aux 1 = yellow
2 = green/brown stripe
3 = violet/green stripe
4 = brown
5 = blue/orange stripe
6 = yellow/orang stripe

Thank you so much for the detailed write up.

One question - what do you do with the wire that comes out of the relay that leads to the switch that RC provides? I'm setting up my lightbar tomorrow and looks like the switch has 3 wires (blue, white, black). Not sure what to do with it if I'm wiring the red wire directly to my AUX switch wire.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you so much for the detailed write up.

One question - what do you do with the wire that comes out of the relay that leads to the switch that RC provides? I'm setting up my lightbar tomorrow and looks like the switch has 3 wires (blue, white, black). Not sure what to do with it if I'm wiring the red wire directly to my AUX switch wire.
Good question. I'm trying to remember, my Bronco has been in the shop getting repaired from hitting a deer...

The 3 wires (blue, white, black) stay intact. The switch is always in the ON position, zip tied with the slack. Are you talking about the black negative that comes out of the relay? That one along with the relay connects to a ground on the Bronco. See my last pic, that's the relay connected to a ground, the black negative eyelet is underneath the relay on the same screw.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored