Sponsored

Have You Used 88 Unleaded/Flexfuel In Your Bronco?

Ever tried the 88 Unleaded/ Flexfuel?

• Total voters

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So much misinformation here its silly.

Well first and foremost, your bronco has wideband 02 sensors and will account for any blend of ethanol above or below what its been calibrated for which is 14:08 e10 pump gas. The bronco along with most other vehicles that use wideband 02s, have the ability to add or take away fuel based on the ethanol content they are seeing after the exhaust cycle. As the bronco sees more or less ethanol, it can add or subtract out fuel based on your short term fuel trims.

For the cleanest fuel trims, try to use e10 based pump gas. Thats what its calibrated for. If you are one of them "I wont put ethanol based fuels in my car" idiots, then your bronco will always be adding fuel volume via the fuel trims to offset the constant lean condition you are trying to put it in. If you refuse to use e10 gas, you are using more gas than you need because you will always be + whatever percentage fuel trims that you are down when the vehicle is trying to keep stoich (14.08). You'd be far better off running e15 to get the added knock protection the extra ethanol will give, while letting the bronco pull out that extra 5% or so fuel that its seeing after the fact. You will always be at stoich but your trims will be pulling out a small amount of fuel to keep you there. But you get that knock protection.

This is why tuners will ask if you run one of those piggy back tuners that you run e20 or e30 blend. The bronco is more than capable of pulling out the extra fuel via the fuel trims as needed, but you are getting a tremendous amount of knock protection as the bronco adds timing which in turn adds power. The more timing it adds without seeing spark knock, the more power you will make. This is why its always better to run e20 or e30 over say racegas. You get to pay for cheap gas, and you get the knock protection without running any octane booster or $10 a gallon race fuel.

This is super common in the coyote world as well as other platforms that run factory widebands.

Oh and lastly auto fuel systems have been ethanol friendly for 25 years at this point. I think it was 2000 when cars had to be able to run ethanol based fuels and not have parts in the fuel systems that would corrode due to the extra moisture that ethanol can pull in.

Ethanol free gas is really only made for lawn tools or other small engines that might sit for months or years without running. Or older cars.
Well that answers a question or two I had.
Sponsored

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would actually be cheaper than the 87 unleaded..Sometimes it goes for $1 less depending on the station, Always at least .30 cents less on a regular weekday..lot of mixed opinions on it
Stick to top tier. Your bronco will feel much better

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out (MF that was)
Emphasis on MF. I had to change the fuel pump in my 98 Chevy and had to drop the tank. If, like me, you went "seven gallons bah!" and dropped it without draining... When I finally got the strap loose, it literally almost landed on my forehead (hit my temple and pushed my head to the side, actually). I had a big bruise and scrape for the big date I was trying to make that night.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Alsvior

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 5.0 & 2024 Bronco 2.3 (on order)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am one of those "'I won't put ethanol based fuels in my car' idiots"

Everybody on the internet is an expert, and the ones who resort to insults are usually the most reliable source of information. Almost as reliable as those who throw sarcasm around.

I selected the one closest to my opinion on your poll, since you didn't have an option for, "I have used it and don't recommend."

...edit...I have not used it in my Bronco, since I don't have it yet. But I have in other vehicles, including my flex-fuel F150. Nope. Never again.

OP
OP
AreUgettingEnufCaffeine

AreUgettingEnufCaffeine

Big Bend
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The hell is 88??

Only 93/94 here, nothing less
Lol that's why I made the poll, I was unsure of this mystery fluid..mostly at Sheetz stores šŸ˜„

Dreamer

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am one of those "'I won't put ethanol based fuels in my car' idiots"

Everybody on the internet is an expert, and the ones who resort to insults are usually the most reliable source of information. Almost as reliable as those who throw sarcasm around.

I selected the one closest to my opinion on your poll, since you didn't have an option for, "I have used it and don't recommend."

...edit...I have not used it in my Bronco, since I don't have it yet. But I have in other vehicles, including my flex-fuel F150. Nope. Never again.
That is probably true for 99% of internet idiots. But unfortunately for you Iā€™m in that 1%. Iā€™ve been tuning high performance cars for about 5 years including the gen 3 coyotes. Ford does very similar fuel and spark management across basically all their platforms. Iā€™ve both seen and logged probably close to 1000 cars on fuels ranging from garbage e0 pump gas all the way through ethanol blends of every level up to methanol. Iā€™ve tuned for E blends of every ratio and happened to be very familiar with this topic. So take what Iā€™m saying with a grain of salt if you must but in this case youā€™d be on the losing end of a debate here man. Trust me.

jeisfoto

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Run what the manual says unless you are tuned for it and know your fueling system can support the extra needed flow. E85 is like cheap race gas. Running flex tuned sports cars is amazing. Not sure I'll need to scratch that itch with the Bronco.

Sgt Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m sure itā€™s already been said several times ā€“ ā€“ ā€“ but I would expect you to get substantially less miles per gallon using E85. Hereā€™s an article that talks about it.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/articles/e85-fuel-right-you#:~:text=Since ethanol contains less energy,and the driver's driving habits.
Heā€™s talking about E15 which is 15% ethanol and 88 octane. He is not talking about E85, that will not run in these engines. E15 is a available in the Midwest and runs fine in the Bronco.

Alsvior

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 5.0 & 2024 Bronco 2.3 (on order)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That is probably true for 99% of internet idiots. But unfortunately for you Iā€™m in that 1%. Iā€™ve been tuning high performance cars for about 5 years including the gen 3 coyotes. Ford does very similar fuel and spark management across basically all their platforms. Iā€™ve both seen and logged probably close to 1000 cars on fuels ranging from garbage e0 pump gas all the way through ethanol blends of every level up to methanol. Iā€™ve tuned for E blends of every ratio and happened to be very familiar with this topic. So take what Iā€™m saying with a grain of salt if you must but in this case youā€™d be on the losing end of a debate here man. Trust me.
Consider my eyes effectively rolled :rolleyes:
Sponsored