First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Usually I'm able to make a decision like this easily and just roll with it but both sides have made good points.

I'll reread these later over lunch. I may play with a Big Bend with the 4.27s.. Question though, would installing a helical in a differential that already has a locker have any issues or is it one or the other? I haven't heard of anyone say oh yeah I put TrueTracs in my old truck that already has a rear locker, etc.

Hey Austin. I'm not too familiar with wheeling in sand, but I've had several cars with LSDs; one mechanical, the other 2 were electric. an LSD is more for track or performance driving more so than an off road focused vehicle. Even the desert running Bronco; the WildTrak, doesn't come with an LSD, I assume based on what's needed on loose ground vs tarmac.

If you've got a particular lift or suspension kit in mind; such as a favorite manufacturer and know what they'll be doing for Bronco, then a suspension platform swap makes sense, but as stated by someone, your warranty is gone.

The Sasquatch package is actually quite functional "based on Ford's assessments which is all we have, but they have a ton of experience since it's Ford!). From factory keeps your warranty and ensures that all parts work, fit, have been tested.

A full swap may even end up being more expensive than your estimate and that's quite a bit to pay on a new vehicle for just a lift and bigger tires.
Sand from my limited experience isn't so bad. In fact I'd say most vehicles can drive along the beach if it isn't too fine / soft. Just air down your tires and try to stay in the tracks. When you start to get stuck let off and dig yourself out or use a board to ramp up like some of y'all do with your recovery boards. Never tried going off the tracks though except towards the surf but that was only with HMMWVs and big 6x6 trucks. No idea how none of us got stuck but fun times...

Yes I am starting to think keeping the Bronco pretty much stock would be wise. I'll just have to figure what I want that to be.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am dropping some LSD now in hopes this tread makes sense later.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, that's why it's so useless.
I guess our experiences are different. Not once did I say to myself after slipping a tire pulling away from a light on a rain slicked road "I need some kind of traction device" I'll just be a little easier on the skinny pedal next time.
But out in the boonies off road, there has been many occasions where if I had real 4 wheel drive (locking axles and not 2wd, 1 front and 1 rear) I wouldn't have to pull out the strap and shovel.
It would have been nice to push a button and continue on my way.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess our experiences are different. Not once did I say to myself after slipping a tire pulling away from a light on a rain slicked road "I need some kind of traction device" I'll just be a little easier on the skinny pedal next time.
Slowing down is never an option.

But out in the boonies off road, there has been many occasions where if I had real 4 wheel drive (locking axles and not 2wd, 1 front and 1 rear) I wouldn't have to pull out the strap and shovel.
It would have been nice to push a button and continue on my way.
What if you never got stuck in the first place?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't forget there is traction control on all 4 corners that will help, too. It appears when Ford started putting speed sensors at all 4 corners on their trucks they stopped doing limited slip rears,
They've had 4-channel ABS for a couple of decades now. They used LSDs, especially in 2wd or sporty trucks through 2014.

presumably because traction control is just as good.
No, but because it's a several hundred dollar cost savings, the kind of thing the bean counters salivate over. The truck already has to have wheels speed sensors and stability control, so it's a $0 addon to do the awful "e-diff" thing where the brakes pulse reactively. It can never be just as good, because it is reactive in nature (can't do anything until you're already slipping), and it can only slow down a spinning wheel, it can't intelligently distribute power between both wheels.
Sponsored