Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What else are you going to do with it? Just daily driver? Texas so you probably don't have to deal with snowy weather, 4A has limited benefit outside of patchy snowy weather, especially if you have a rear LSD.

Agreed that lockers are useless for daily drivers, a Truetrac would be much more useful. The Raptor uses a Torsen up front for high performance, high speed driving offroad and in sand, but for DD use and light trails I wouldn't bother putting one up front.

A base Squatch is $40,500. A Big Bend with 4.46 gears and a rear locker would run you $38,500. Or don't do the optional locker and just do a TrueTrac at your leisure. You wouldn't need to regear, you'd only really have to get tires if you wanted to step up to 33s. Plus you can add towing or mid pack if you want.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow, that's a lot of helpful responses for 8:00am. Thank y'all. Crap I guess I'll be talking with the wife soon. Probably shouldn't have already told her that the off-road package was overkill for someone like me lol. It feels n nice not having to worry about all of the changes I was considering though!

I don't want to remove a locker. Maybe I didn't word that great. I just would like a LSD over a locker in general as the LSD automatically engages and disengages, and isn't just for slow speeds. I'll take it to the beach and some lighter trails but I'll likely never go rock crawling which from what I understand is where lockers shine. I do understand that they help with sand however so not hating on them just seem a bit much.
I my experiences, LSD's do help but revert to a one legger when you need them the most. The helical design you described are better than the clutch type that Ford used to put in their trucks/SUV's. Even on the beach I had an F-250 with a rear LSD that let me down trying to crest a dune, might as well had an open dif. Give me a locker every time, best of both worlds.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The other plus for Sasquatch is resale value. Sometimes stuff happens in life and you might see a need to sell the Bronco sooner than expected. If so, a Sasquatch'd Bronco would sell for more and sell faster than one that is heavily modified.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The diff work is for like I said LSDs and regearing as the base has 3.73s with 30" wheels and I plan on going 33-33.5" which will probably throw off gearing enough to be annoying. I know the Big Bend can be had with 3.73's and it has a 32" wheel but if I'm putting LSDs in I may as well regear. That's my line of thought at least.

Yes, it'll be a family mover for occasional vacations to national parks and trips to the beach and light trails in the Houston area.
Hey Austin. I'm not too familiar with wheeling in sand, but I've had several cars with LSDs; one mechanical, the other 2 were electric. an LSD is more for track or performance driving more so than an off road focused vehicle. Even the desert running Bronco; the WildTrak, doesn't come with an LSD, I assume based on what's needed on loose ground vs tarmac.

If you've got a particular lift or suspension kit in mind; such as a favorite manufacturer and know what they'll be doing for Bronco, then a suspension platform swap makes sense, but as stated by someone, your warranty is gone.

The Sasquatch package is actually quite functional "based on Ford's assessments which is all we have, but they have a ton of experience since it's Ford!). From factory keeps your warranty and ensures that all parts work, fit, have been tested.

A full swap may even end up being more expensive than your estimate and that's quite a bit to pay on a new vehicle for just a lift and bigger tires.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I my experiences, LSD's do help but revert to a one legger when you need them the most. The helical design you described are better than the clutch type that Ford used to put in their trucks/SUV's. Even on the beach I had an F-250 with a rear LSD that let me down trying to crest a dune, might as well had an open dif.
Factory LSD? That would have been clutch-type, totally different from helical, and usually worn out and ineffective.

A locker is beneficial offroad ONLY. For a regular DD, helical LSD is beneficial every single day, and especially when leaving from a stop, turning, or in rain or other slick conditions. You wouldn't use a locker in any of those scenarios, but when the turbo spools up the Bronco won't hesitate to one-wheel-peel without something distributing power to both rear wheels.

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
an LSD is more for track or performance driving more so than an off road focused vehicle.
And since he's going to DD it, he's not really using it as an offroad-focused vehicle most of the time. LSD would be beneficial every day, where the locker would offer a 3% advantage over the LSD for a total of like 5 days a year. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Even the desert running Bronco; the WildTrak, doesn't come with an LSD, I assume based on what's needed on loose ground vs tarmac.
The Raptor comes with a helical LSD up front, and I'm willing to bet the Warthog will, too.

Last edited:

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Former BD trim enthusiast here, now aboard the base squatch train.
Get a base squatch, add the bits and pieces you want later. Save money.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And since he's going to DD it, he's not really using it as an offroad-focused vehicle most of the time.

The Raptor comes with a helical LSD up front, and I'm willing to bet the Warthog will, too.
Right, the Raptor does, so there's high speed, then there's High Speed, as the Raptor is a step below desert race truck, just as an M4 isn't a race car, but more of a club track car.

A base Bronco or even WildTrak doesn't cross the line of the Warthog as far as performance orientation.

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Factory LSD? That would have been clutch-type, totally different from helical, and usually worn out and ineffective.

A locker is beneficial offroad ONLY. For a regular DD, helical LSD is beneficial every single day, and especially when leaving from a stop, turning, or in rain or other slick conditions. You wouldn't use a locker in any of those scenarios, but when the turbo spools up the Bronco won't hesitate to one-wheel-peel without something distributing power to both rear wheels.
On my F-250 yes it was clutch type, and at less than 20,000 miles, not wore out.

You are correct a locker is beneficial off-road only but the 2021 Bronco is a selectable locker that acts like an open dif when not in use.
I also had a 86' Bronco II with a clutch type dif and it was just enough to spin me around on a couple occasions on snowy/icey roads. Short wheelbase vehicles come around quick with posi.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is manual an option for you?
Look at Big Bend with the manual and add the rear locker.
Should be all you need and the gearing will be right for 33's .... even with the v6/auto combo as I recall.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep in mind the BL 33's are only about 1/2" taller than Big Bend 32's.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are correct a locker is beneficial off-road only but the 2021 Bronco is a selectable locker that acts like an open dif when not in use.
Yes, that's why it's so useless.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't forget there is traction control on all 4 corners that will help, too. It appears when Ford started putting speed sensors at all 4 corners on their trucks they stopped doing limited slip rears, presumably because traction control is just as good. I have no personal experience to say if that's true but the Bronco appears to have enough logic to handle almost anything without lockers.
Sponsored