Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, two up with three full bags on a two-week tour on a bike that weighs 750 pounds wet is a bit different than a V65 sabre (great bike BTW) that weighs maybe 400 pounds (I'm guessing). I had a Yamaha Seca 650 as my first street bike and never worried about hill launches. I don't even worry now; it's just I can see the convenience of hill-hold assist on a full-dress tourer.

On my cars, I occasionally play with the system just to have it release in neutral and let the car roll back. The BMW system works going down hill too.
Ha, the Sabre was more like 600 lbs, it was a beast. Back in '85 (I actually bought it used in 1991 or so) Honda didn't care much about minimizing weight. The 1098 cc V-4 is one of the best engines I've ever owned. But I get the point about brake holding being useful on a big bike two up.

I do the same thing on my BMW. Roll up and brush the brakes gently, no brake hold. Excellent implementation.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dad drove a '72 Marquis. Black over black with the 429. We called it the Mafia Staff car. I finally got to drive it senior year of high school and took it to college for a few semesters. Loved that car.

While I think you do know your sht ;), the hill-assist in my cars are transparent and are inoffensive to my manly clutch-driven ego :). I've driven nothing but manuals my entire driving life, and instinctively launch on hills without the system kicking in, or if it does I can't tell; I'm not sure this is a big deal. Just sayin'

Sponsored
OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I seriously gave a look at the K1600 in 2012, it was hard to find one back then, but outside of an in-line 6, a flat-6 is just as smooth, plus it drops the CG way down low, which as I get older I appreciate more, so it's too hard to give up the Valk. Your bike is the only BMW you can still get a naturally asperated in-line 6 ;) Which, as a 30-year Bimmerhead, I find extremely sad.
I have never ridden a bike with a flat 6 but I have ridden a few with the boxer twin and those definitely have a lower center of gravity. My bike can feel pretty top heavy until it gets moving. Once you are going it feels nimble like a sport bike and that weight helps you get it over in corners very easily.

I read something about the head designer saying he didn’t want it to feel like a whale he wanted it to feel like a shark.

It’s my first big bike. I had a BMW G650gs single and a Triumph Bonneville before. I have also ridden a ton of other bikes like full Harley dressers and sport bikes.

I like that this has the stability to your but the agility to still have fun on the weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont think theres this much chest-thumping over the ability to drive a manual even on the Mustang forums. Good lord.
Right? I wasn’t expecting the lumberjacks to come out and show how tough they are.

I am getting the manual because it’s fun. Holding the brake and clutch in at a light on a hill isn’t a ton of fun to me in city traffic.I do that all day at work.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Ford driver states that the Bronco does have hill start assist at the 12 minute mark.

Thanks for the vid link. Looks like the driver was showing it in action as well. I would definitely like to see the hill assist in action on some severe inclines and rocks. I just wonder if it will match my own preferred usage via a traditional hand lever, where I have full control with repeated on/off and feathering.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....... I will say that the hill-hold function would be much better appreciated on a motorcycle since brake/throttle actuation is difficult at times since front brake actuation and throttle control is orchestrated by the right hand, and in some situations holding the rear brake with your right foot is difficult. Also, good riding technique dictates that your left foot should be near the shifter (i.e. on the peg) in case you have to shift into first and leave a stopped condition in case of an emergency. My very large scooter (Honda Valkyrie) has an old skool braking system :).
I'm going to slightly disagree with this.... as... just pulling in the clutch and leaving the bike in 1st is IMHO a much better and quicker method to move yourself out of the way in an emergency situation......... all you'd need to do is let out the clutch, roll on the throttle as your releasing the rear brake with your right foot.

But you can do whatever works best for you.

Now to hopefully bring this back on topic....

If FoMoCo would have just given the Bronco a "true" Hand Brake, this would have never been discussed. Just saying.....

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going to slightly disagree with this.... as... just pulling in the clutch and leaving the bike in 1st is IMHO a much better and quicker method to move yourself out of the way in an emergency situation......... all you'd need to do is let out the clutch, roll on the throttle as your releasing the rear brake with your right foot.

But you can do whatever works best for you.

Now to hopefully bring this back on topic....

If FoMoCo would have just given the Bronco a "true" Hand Brake, this would have never been discussed. Just saying.....
Well, I keep an eye on the mirrors and keep less heat out of the clutch. And of course it depends on the actual driving environment and the risk assessment, along with level of fatigue. There was no intention to turn the thread into a motorcycle rider training module. ;)

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was no intention to turn the thread into a motorcycle rider training module. ;)
Hey, if that's what it takes to get more people interested in driving a manual, so be it. :)