Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been trying to find the min breaking strength of the trailer hitch when used for vehicle recovery and the rear recovery points - anyone seen these? I can't seem to find either with a lot of searching.

I'd like to know if using a hitch receiver recovery point is safer than the built in rear recovery points. Pulling centered is generally good, but I've read some people have questioned the hitch strength. In any case, I'd like to make sure my recovery equipment (17,000 lb MBS ARB snatch strap, and 7/16" soft shackles) has a much lower load rating than the Bronco attachment points so that the strap breaks before I get a metal projectile flying off and hurting someone.
Sponsored

Reactions: JPG

Umichigan1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was a YouTube video that went viral of a recovery gone deadly when someone used a hitch as a connection point. The tug snapped the hitch off the receiver and into the head of the driver being pulled. Hitches are not designed to endure the stresses encountered in recovery operations.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hitch is a bad recovery point. Tow with it the little it can but shock load would cause damage to the frame the way it is mounted. Factory recovery ring is better. A bumper with recovery points is best way to go.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

With the invention of the soft shackles, my advice is to get a 2inch hitch adapter and only use soft shackles unless you have really good liability insurance. Also, no chains. Get a rope designed for recovery like a Yankum or one from MORR which are made by Yankum. I have a Factor 55 adapter.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jecc0

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes Iā€™d never use a ball hitch for recovery - but a real hitch recovery point - this one from Curt for example. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079QMWBSL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or one that was designed just for soft shackle use - but those tend to be more expensive. (https://41twentytwo.com/product/41-22-recovery-point/)

If anyone has the numbers for min break strength behind either hard point thatā€™s what Iā€™m after. Controlling the failure point is key to a safe recovery. If the strap breaks well below what the hitch or the recovery points can take- seems like either are a safe option.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe I read this differently, but I don't think people are asking about using the ball... Talking about just the hitch.

I have a receiver in mine with a d-ring but also question it strength ever since a member here posted how he bent his frame by backing into a rock.

My Jeep has a hitch that's mounted basically the same way and I yank the heck on that thing trying to pull someone out and it did not bend the frame.

So if the Bronco is as strong as the Wrangler, then you probably would be okay especially with a yankim rope. But when in doubt, the recovery point is bolted directly to the frame.

Replacing the bumper with a stronger one in recovery points is definitely the best option, I'm kind of hoping there's some sort of trailer hitch that comes out that mounts to the side frame and not that weaker crumple zone middle bar.

Reactions: Jdc

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just picked up a hitch shackle setup, but it would be used more as a tow mode and not for getting someone unstuck, I would use the frame mounted points. The braptor is a bit better because it has additional supports from the hitch to the frame, the regular broncos are only on a a crumple crash bar which will fold like a piece of paper.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you said hitch receiver I thought of matt off road recovery but looking at your links way different. he uses a clamp hitch for most of his recovery's.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe there are several threads out there describing that the rear cross member to which the hitch attaches is less than robust and some have received damage when using the hitch as a recovery or dragging it during departure of an obstacle.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hitch as recovery point on bronco is a terrible idea, do it for science, we need more data.

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes Iā€™d never use a ball hitch for recovery - but a real hitch recovery point - this one from Curt for example. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079QMWBSL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or one that was designed just for soft shackle use - but those tend to be more expensive. (https://41twentytwo.com/product/41-22-recovery-point/)

If anyone has the numbers for min break strength behind either hard point thatā€™s what Iā€™m after. Controlling the failure point is key to a safe recovery. If the strap breaks well below what the hitch or the recovery points can take- seems like either are a safe option.
I am sure that these are not exact numbers, but a good rule of thumb would be that the design load for recovery points would be ~1.5x gross vehicle weight rating (and likely the max GVWR on the platform) vs. hitch would be ~1.5x max trailer tow rating.

OP
OP

jecc0

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok thanks guys - sounds I should not use a hitch recovery point - one less thing to cary!

I would still like to see numbers on the bumper recovery points. I expect the breaking strength is higher than 1.5X gross vehicle weight - that would put it at around 9000 lb, well below the breaking strength of most recovery gear (also that thing is pretty thick / strong looking). If the rated load was 1.5X GVWR (~9000 lb), and there was a 3X safety factor, then I would expect about 27,000 lb breaking strength, which is still pretty easy to exceed with most recovery gear, but well above my 17,000 lb ARB strap.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Your hitch point is rated for 3,500 lbs, however, that's not its shock load but a tow load. Even if assuming a nice safe 160% margin, using your rear class 3 hitch as a recovery point is not a solid idea. In most cases your hitchlink recovery bar will be rated over 10,000 lbs WLL, which is more than the tow hitch itself can handle.

I've not found any conclusive information from Ford on the front TOW point load ratings. But they are not designated recovery points, they are tow points.

Aftermarket bumpers will be key here in achieving a known load rating.

Kenitic roads can shock load vast amounts of weight through your recovery gear. While it's fun to watch Matt's Offroad Recovery, some of the stuff that guy does is so far over spec it makes me wonder when it gets somebody killed.

Now for the TLDR, portion where somebody does actual math and explains the shock loads put into snatch recoveries..... And where some B6G member calls me out as attacking them personally for using actual data instead of conjecture and catering to the slowest member of society.

Sponsored