Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Wow - I may not be in the popular opinion here but let’s consider the following…

If you got stuck in the mud in Death Valley and the only structure that could be used for self extraction is an old tower - why wouldn’t you consider using it an an anchor point for your winch? (of course you would)

Accidents happen and the tower fell over. The tower wasn’t purposely damaged, defaced or destroyed with malice. The culprit called and reported the incidental damage and took responsibility.

I am a huge fan of tread lightly and have been practicing this mantra for almost 50 years - let’s not lambast the person who did this without the facts.
Sponsored

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a huge fan of tread lightly and have been practicing this mantra for almost 50 years - let’s not lambast the person who did this without the facts.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Dude was right by a road...

OP
OP
Rydfree

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow - I may not be in the popular opinion here but let’s consider the following…

If you got stuck in the mud in Death Valley and the only structure that could be used for self extraction is an old tower - why wouldn’t you consider using it an an anchor point for your winch? (of course you would)

Accidents happen and the tower fell over. The tower wasn’t purposely damaged, defaced or destroyed with malice. The culprit called and reported the incidental damage and took responsibility.

I just did a quick glance of the article and then posted it this morning before starting my shift. I probably need to go read it in more depth, but I gathered the person was not on a trail but had driven off the main road where he wasn't supposed to be . I do need more context . Maybe he was trying to get closer to the structure to get a selfie , which would really make it a bad decision. As to the other point , NO , I would not attach to just any point with a winch without knowing if I should .

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As to the other point , NO , I would not attach to just any point with a winch without knowing if I should .
There are new people who get into 4x4'ing every day and many don't know what they are doing. Then there are the people who are just plain irresponsible and don't care.

A few years ago I came upon 2 guys stuck on a different path to my left. They were getting ready to winch out when I saw them and they had a steel winch line wrapped around a tree. I stopped right as they were getting ready to winch out and asked if they needed any help. Guys says no, we got this. I point out they are going to damage the tree or cause a failure and offer to let them use my tree saver. I get told to mind my own bizz and leave...

I backed up, snapped a photo of the plate and contacted the rangers..

The fact is that trails are getting restricted or flat out shut down because of irresponsible people..

This guy was right next to a road. I have question like did he have and try traction boards? What was his 4x4 experience level? Did he research the area before going? Of course none of that matters when they decide to shut a trail down..

It's disappointing to see 4x4 enthusiasts defending this guy in any way, shape or form. His life and limb was not in jeopardy and he was right by a road.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dude had a winch, he could have just stood it back up!

/S, flame suit on

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150-KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's disappointing to see 4x4 enthusiasts defending this guy in any way, shape or form. His life and limb was not in jeopardy and he was right by a road.
I know how much you love ignore context. So here is the location of Tower 1 and the "road" he was next to.

From the linked BLM report that I doubt anybody bothered to read:

Ford Bronco Hope this wasn't a Bronco owner 1716043630030-kx

Again, not defending the dude's action. But trying to keep it in perspective. And another reminder on why never to wheel alone.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes tread lightly I follow this mantra
Based on the rest of the response, I am gonna call this statement.. Complete and utter baloney...
Again, not defending the dude's action.
Yet that's exactly what you keep doing...

He was close to a road. In fact, he was 1 mile from Saline Valley Road.

He obviously didn't care to research the area before tearing though it as if he had, he would have known that was a historical landmark. Or maybe he did know and didn't care..

Just because you got yourself stuck does not mean you use and and all force necessary to get unstuck. The I am getting unstuck no matter the damage I cause mentality is infuriating..

I doubt the people who are claiming to practice 'tread lightly' actually do based on many of the responses.. My guess is we have a lot new 4x4'ers who think this guys actions were legit. That shows a very sad state of affairs and why trail are getting shut down all the time..

Last edited:

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

“IGNORED”
I'm devastated..

Please tread lightly and use common sense out there. Also, research the area before you go and check the weather and trail conditions before hand. Lastly, make sure you have proper recovery gear.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's the reality, yes he owned it - good for him
It's my understanding that he only owned it after they had put out a news story on it and that they were searching for the person who did it. It's not like he called and reported it right away..

He got stuck, the right answer was to call for help - yup it would have cost him money but he wouldn't have been destroying something that can't be replaced.

Preparation, knowledge, respect, and responsibility
Fully agree and well said..

Sponsored

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tower seems to be a stretch of the definition. Most people will read the headline and assume it was some huge structure that toppled over and thus completely ruined. When it appears to be maybe about 10 foot tall, mostly intact and probably will be able to be stood back up and restored. Doesn't make it right but context is necessary. Also a good reminder to never wheel alone.

Ford Bronco Hope this wasn't a Bronco owner 1716043630030-kx
My brain just assumed it was like a big rock formation "tower". This is a neat landmark and should be re-erected, but not nearly as significant as it sounded.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is for some of the holier than crowd whining.

Oh, please, this was an unmarked piece of junk in the middle of nowhere that couldn't withstand a winch, much less be entrusted to support a tram of any kind, even for hamsters.

If it was marked as a historically significant piece of history, that's different, but I don't see any indication of that. Still, the person did the right thing to contact the appropriate "authorities" and owned it. He's not just some jerk trying to avoid responsibility.

Time to get off the high and mighty throne of "How dare you" and realize that sometimes shit happens.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Historic landmarks, and if we should be allowed to destroy them, are now judged by their size and stability?

The stuck in the mud wheeler was right by a road. Like @604Bronco said, it would be different if life or limb was at stake...

Defend this all you want, when trail(s) get shut down and/or restricted because people have no respect for the land, please don't complain about it..
No one is "defending" anything.
Glad you found something to energize yourself today.

Last edited:

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is for some of the holier than crowd whining.

Oh, please, this was an unmarked piece of junk in the middle of nowhere that couldn't withstand a winch, much less be entrusted to support a tram of any kind, even for hamsters.

If it was marked as a historically significant piece of history, that's different, but I don't see any indication of that. Still, the person did the right thing to contact the appropriate "authorities" and owned it. He's not just some jerk trying to avoid responsibility.

Time to get off the high and mighty throne of "How dare you" and realize that sometimes shit happens.
Attitudes like yours are exactly why trails are being restricted and shut down. Shame on people who think this way! :mad:

The person only contacted them after it was reported on the news saying they were looking for the person responsible.

Anyways, I am 100% confident based on some of the responses in this thread that we have a lot of new 4 wheelers and /or wheelers who do not respect the land and will continue to abuse it as they see fit until it's shut down. Then they'll move on to the next trail and do the same.

Practice the 6 P's

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
  • Research the area trails before you go. If you are not finding the trail and weather info you need, call the local Ranger station. They are always more than happy to help.
  • Know where any historical or national landmarks are and respect them.
  • Bring proper recovery and emergency gear for the area and weather conditions. Traction boards, radio coms, emergency satellite communicator if out of cell service, winch, tree saver etc.
  • If you don't have the proper recovery gear and there is not a suitable winching spot then call for a wrecker or a friend. Or in this dudes case, walk the whopping 1 mile to the roadway and flag someone down to assist.
  • Respect the area and clean up after yourself
The attitudes in this thread does go to show why trails are being restricted and shut down all the time. If you ever wonder why a trail in your area was shut down, just read some of the responses in this thread and the reason why will become clear..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.