Sponsored

Horror Story! Cannot drive my 2021 Bronco due to a Ford engineer. My Bronco has been at the dealership, for almost 2.5 months!!!!!

P@pper B@ggins

Black Diamond
First Name
Arnaldo
Threads
Reaction score
East Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/ 1998 Honda C-RV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I brought in my 2021 Bronco on August 27, 2021 to, Hoffman Ford of East Hartford, Connecticut, to see if my warranty would cover a softop Issue.

Essentially, the softtop came defective and was scratching the roll bars. Furthermore, the right softop shock came out of place from normal usage of said soft top. The solution from the dealership was to fix/replace the softtop and get the roll bars repainted. The service department stated that the softtop issue was indeed covered and that the issue would take no longer than 2 weeks to be rectified. They scheduled the service appointment for me in for December 2, 2021.

On the day of the service appointment I was assured that warranty would cover everything and was given a Nissan Versa as an interim loaner.

After about 6 weeks (Jan. 18th)of waiting and not getting any call backs from my dealership, I decided to call and leave a message with the dealership's service department. I received no call back from the service department. A month passed and I decided to drop by and get some answers in person and valuables from the car. It was at this moment, that the service representative stated to me that the frame of the softtop was bent, that they had received a new frame, installed it, but did not received the canvas for said frame.

Now this is where the story gets good...

Allegedly a Ford engineer told the service department that they could remove the canvas from the old frame and use the old canvas on the new frame. Whilst removing the canvas from the frame, FORD moment in 3,2,1... ThEy RuINEd ThE cANvas !!!! So, I now I go from having a semi-functional softtop that still opens and closes but scratches my roll bars, to no a nonexistent softtop. In a flabbergasted state I asked the the service rep. about an ETA for the top and or part and he stated to me that they had no word from Ford regarding the top and or an ETA.

I then wait a week and decided to call the parts department of the dealership and see if they had any information. I was told by the parts department that the part was was going to be there within in a week. A week passed, I called again and the service rep. stated to me that the part was goin go be in with in 7-10 days. After said 7-10 days, I decided to call Ford themselves and they stated that the part is in backorder for an indefinite amount of time.

Needless to say, I am now stuck with a Nissan Versa, A $750.00 Dollar car note, $150.00 insurance bill for a car that I will not be able to drive or have in my possession for an unforeseeable amount of time. It has been almost 2.5 Months and this is not just frustrating but also vexing to say the least.

I hope Ford sees this and rectifies this situation. I'm not surer what to do, I feel backed into a corner. I am hoping that some negative press might light a fire under Fords ass, seeing as it was their engineer that told my dealership you could remove the canvas from the softtop frame. Please help spread the word.

Here is a "YouTube Short" documenting the canvas mishap. As you can visibly tell in the short, the canvas was basically detached from the frame.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, that really sucks! Do they at least have your Bronco covered to keep shop dirt and dust out of the interior?

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, soft top, yada yada, but how are you liking that Nissan Versa!?

Sponsored

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stupid question, can you not just take your Bronco back while you wait on a solution? Have the dealer order a Bestop instead?

OP
OP
P@pper B@ggins

P@pper B@ggins

Black Diamond
First Name
Arnaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stupid question, can you not just take your Bronco back while you wait on a solution? Have the dealer order a Bestop instead?
it's February here in CT, the top is nonfunctional and unfortunately do not have a garage.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just out of morbid curiosity, what was damaged that they couldn't reinstall your old one? I know rivets were an issue until several days ago but wondered if they messed it up in the removal process. Not pointing fingers, more interested in what not to do in case we ever have to do this.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why don't the just replace it with a new top.? Seem's if the fabric is damaged and the frame a bit wonky that would be the easiest solution.

Oh, and in before someone says the dealer owes you a hard top for your troubles.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Replacing the canvas on a soft top is a normal occurrence. Where Ford screwed up was trying to have a dealer mechanic do it and not bringing it to a dedicated canvas shop.

Ask them to step away from the vehicle and have them pay for an actual shop to fix it. A canvas shop should be able to replace the damaged canvas pretty easily while you wait for the replacement top.

OP
OP
P@pper B@ggins

P@pper B@ggins

Black Diamond
First Name
Arnaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just out of morbid curiosity, what was damaged that they couldn't reinstall your old one? I know rivets were an issue until several days ago but wondered if they messed it up in the removal process. Not pointing fingers, more interested in what not to do in case we ever have to do this.

Rivets and they ripped the old softtop. Do not let them tell you that they can uninstall the canvas from the frame would be best practice.

OP
OP
P@pper B@ggins

P@pper B@ggins

Black Diamond
First Name
Arnaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why don't the just replace it with a new top.? Seem's if the fabric is damaged and the frame a bit wonky that would be the easiest solution.

Oh, and in before someone says the dealer owes you a hard top for your troubles.

I agree, that would be the easiest solution, they say the parts to fix the top are in backorder for the unforeseeable future and dealer is blaming the ford engineer.
Sponsored