First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok so I have a 2023 with a full Baja kits prerunner kit currently on 35s. It gets driven hard in the desert at high speed. I’m trying to move up to 37s but am trying to figure out my steering to avoid breakage.

I currently have a 2.0 rack with bushings and tie rod braces but am considering going to the 3.0 or a billet housing and wanted to see what everybody’s opinions on the difference is and what I should do. We rarely do much rock crawling but it happens on occasion, mostly worried about hitting a rut or rock with some speed and losing my steering
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interested as well...but my guess is that the 2.0 in the 74weld housing setup will be more durable than a factory stock 3.0 setup.

OP
OP
Tbrownski

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interested as well...but my guess is that the 2.0 in the 74weld housing setup will be more durable than a factory stock 3.0 setup.
That was my thought as well. I should have been more clear. Thinking about the passenger side housing vs 3.0.
Id love the full billet rack but not sure I want to spend that much without really crawling all the time

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That was my thought as well. I should have been more clear. Thinking about the passenger side housing vs 3.0.
Id love the full billet rack but not sure I want to spend that much without really crawling all the time
Buy once, cry once. I think that you would be fine with the passenger side housing upgrade, but if you are planning on severe duty, the passenger side housing is a minimum. Also the axle tube should definitely be strengthened (and the billet tube from BroncBuster is the only one that I am aware of without buying a complete FDU).

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let's see some pictures of your bronco.

What desert do you visit? I didn't know they had much desert near Reno.

Although they do have the Vegas to Reno race, so clearly there must be some.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tbrownski

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

There’s desert for hours every direction unless you head straight towards Tahoe.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you think was out there?

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s desert for hours every direction unless you head straight towards Tahoe.
What did you think was out there?
My cousin's grew up in Truckee and we would visit often. Went to Reno quite a few times. I've taken both the 5 and 395 to get there. From what I remember the 5 was mostly farming and 395 was mountains and streams. So I guess I just never really saw that side of Reno.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My cousin's grew up in Truckee and we would visit often. Went to Reno quite a few times. I've taken both the 5 and 395 to get there. From what I remember the 5 was mostly farming and 395 was mountains and streams. So I guess I just never really saw that side of Reno.
I used to live near Tahoe and this is what happens in most people's brains when they visit from the California side:

Ford Bronco Hoss 3.0 vs billet housing 2.0 vintage-cartoon-wile-e-coyote-painting-7m9koeimyx8s3s4v

The first time I went past the west side and saw the desert side it blew my mind haha.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can write a novel on the subject of steering. If you bought long travel go buy 74Weld, at the speeds you will be able to travel at you will need every last bit of strength.

You will eventually burn out a stock rack, HOSS 3.0 last longer and anything less than 74Weld billet steering is a band aid.

OP
OP
Tbrownski

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can write a novel on the subject of steering. If you bought long travel go buy 74Weld, at the speeds you will be able to travel at you will need every last bit of strength.

You will eventually burn out a stock rack, HOSS 3.0 last longer and anything less than 74Weld billet steering is a band aid.
My wallet was really hoping somebody would say “you’ll be fine with the 3.0 or a billet passenger housing on your 2.0” but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Are people with raptors going through steering racks too?

Turbo yzel

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m not sure if they are raptors
But on the 74 weld videos online, they seem to have a handful of exploded 3.0’s on the workbench for there information in comparison on YouTube

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No real issues with HOSS 3.0 yet, it definitely is a good option for most people. Your most likely running running an stronger tie rod setup and that is what drives you into 74Weld territory. The aftermarket bushings don't hold enough tolerance on the drivers side and the main shaft develops some rotational play/slop. High speed desert running is going to transfer a lot of stress into the steering and going to wear things out faster.

From a money stand point I would buy a HOSS 3.0 and run it for a year then get the full billet housing. You might even benefit from a HOSS 4.0(raptor width steering) rack since you may be able to use the longer tie rods.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wallet was really hoping somebody would say “you’ll be fine with the 3.0 or a billet passenger housing on your 2.0” but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Are people with raptors going through steering racks too?
It really depends on how hard you are wheeling. Most of the people breaking stuff have been doing pretty serious trails and asking a fair amount from the platform. These are not typically breaking on easier trails and the easiest lines on hard trails, these are people who are truly challenging the capabilities of the Bronco for the most part.
Sponsored