Sponsored

How Bad is the Road/Wind Noise With the Hard Top?

Nrotik

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
May build date. Not sure if they replaced the complete top as I know the rear quarter windows were replaced. The wind noise is unacceptable from the front panels. Have had several convertibles and nothing like this.
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is some noise and I have identified some gaps in the weatherstripping but just haven’t gotten around to worrying about it too much yet.

81arctic

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MT 2.3 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seeing a lot of Yt reviews lately with similar complaints - the hard top has a lot of “noise” coming from the back, almost like a window is slightly cracked. Some even saying the noise is worse than the soft top.

Anyone here that can comment on theirs?
I paid for the sound deadening on my MIC roof, and honestly not sure what difference it makes. I had demoed a soft top over the summer and was surprised how quiet it was, thought the hard top would be even better when it finally arrived. Happy to report that the road noise is really acceptable, but the WIND noise is drives my wife nuts on the highway getting up to the mountains.

I'm suspicious about it being more the roof rack and less the top itself but haven't pulled the rack off yet to test. Has anyone else with a roof rack tried removing it to see if there is a volume difference? I probably wont pull mine til we see warmer weather.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine makes noise, but I just turn the radio up. One thing I did notice is how loud it is when it rains, I thought it was coming through the top. Reminds me of my 73 when I have the top on, it pounds on it. I have the sound deadening installed, but I wonder how hard it is to get off so I can add some dynamat to it.

Sponsored

81arctic

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MT 2.3 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine makes noise, but I just turn the radio up. One thing I did notice is how loud it is when it rains, I thought it was coming through the top. Reminds me of my 73 when I have the top on, it pounds on it. I have the sound deadening installed, but I wonder how hard it is to get off so I can add some dynamat to it.
yeah - I was kinda hoping that the deadening would be something like dynamat already, just feels like some glued in carpeting. Send pics if you attempt the upgrade...

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Louder than I expected at around town speeds. I don't notice it nearly as much on the freeway, seems to go away at higher speeds. I have not messed with the panels yet to see if something is pinched or out of place.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I expected to hear wind noise and all other noises because it is a removable and thin hardtop. It is loud, like a window cracked when you get up to 70+ miles per hour. It doesn’t bother me but inquiring minds want to know.

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it is. It's more quiet inside than my FJ was, but that mightve been because my Duratracs were near the end of their life... but still, no complaints here.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's quite good for what it is. I've had many fixed roof cars that are louder. I don't notice much until 60+, and then it's just a faint whistle like a window barely cracked.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Its fine around town. Loud on the highway. Like others said, sounds like a window is cracked. I found the source on mine, stuffed some shit in the piss poor gasket seams and it is much better, but not quiet.

Ford Bronco How Bad is the Road/Wind Noise With the Hard Top? 9A602902-72CC-4EF1-A645-E2EA123F5C66

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Compared to a soft top it is night and day.

I took a dealer demo out for a day a couple of weeks ago (4-door, soft top, OB) and it was very loud. Normally I like to keep the radio at a level where you can still have a conversation, at 70 on the highway it was hear the radio OR conversation, not both.

I got my Bronco this week (4-door, MIC, SAS, BL) and I have been pleasantly surprised how quiet is it. While there is a little road and wind noise at highway speeds (to be expected), I can still have the radio at a comfortable level and have a conversation. Below 55, really no noticeable wind noise.
In real world DB test that have been posted the DB measurements at 70 is exactly the same on soft and hard tops. Just reporting what folks that have tested DB’s have posted.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I paid for the sound deadening on my MIC roof, and honestly not sure what difference it makes. I had demoed a soft top over the summer and was surprised how quiet it was, thought the hard top would be even better when it finally arrived. Happy to report that the road noise is really acceptable, but the WIND noise is drives my wife nuts on the highway getting up to the mountains.

I'm suspicious about it being more the roof rack and less the top itself but haven't pulled the rack off yet to test. Has anyone else with a roof rack tried removing it to see if there is a volume difference? I probably wont pull mine til we see warmer weather.
The roof rack is definitely an issue. Especially the crossbars. My wife’s bronco sport has the Yakima crossbars and this makes a huge difference in the wind noise compared to just the rails.

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have a frame of reference having only been in my Bronco and never having owned a jeep.

I've only had it a week and so far its tolerable. But that could be the newness and excitement of driving it. It may get 'old' after a while. It did make bluetooth/phone a little tough at 75 on the interstate.

When it warms up, I will take a look at all the gaskets and look for any gaps, etc.

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is something I’ve been thinking about. My 16 f150KR is nice and quiet on the inside. Currently I’m driving around in a rav4 rental while my truck is in the shop. The noise in the rav4 is significantly louder, I never knew how spoiled I was in my f150. The Bronco with a hardtop will be even louder than the rav4 lol.
Sponsored