Sponsored

How Bad is the Road/Wind Noise With the Hard Top?

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seeing a lot of Yt reviews lately with similar complaints - the hard top has a lot of “noise” coming from the back, almost like a window is slightly cracked. Some even saying the noise is worse than the soft top.

Anyone here that can comment on theirs?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As much noise as was expected. It’s not a Volvo.

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What? Say again, I can’t hear because of all the noise🤪
Actually, my wife noticed it but I thought it was fine. Too many years of listening to Ozzy while shooting without ear pro at the range will do that to a fella. It’s not a Rolls-Royce…

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Road noise is really good. A little wind noise, but not too bad. Overall pretty good for a bolt-on top latched together in a dozen places.

Sponsored

Biggwrm

First Edition
First Name
Orran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Road noise not too bad. Wind noise on my FE is pretty bad. Cant use the Bluetooth for phone conversation at freeway speed. I know its not a Denali, but its as loud as I would have expected a soft top to be. Changing to a shorty antenna, stock one whips around alot. Hopefully there will be some tsb on hardtop tweaks. They obviously rushed them out.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seeing a lot of Yt reviews lately with similar complaints - the hard top has a lot of “noise” coming from the back, almost like a window is slightly cracked. Some even saying the noise is worse than the soft top.

Anyone here that can comment on theirs?
Theres definately road noise in MIC roof at 75mph compared to a car, but how bad that is depends on what you're comparing to. No rattling. At 75mph, harder to hear radio and conversation, therefore high mileage road trip fatigue will be a factor. A single piece, heavier roof would likely be better, and I'm sure they'll be available aftermarket eventually, but they will be heavy or harder to remove. . . This is an easily removable, multi-panel roof. The front 2 panels are easy to remove & store in car if theres only 2 of you. MIC very well made for the price. They do make Rangers, Explorers, Expeditions & F150s that are very quiet in the roof, but you cant take the roof off and have that open air experience, which of course is why we buy the Bronco . . . Hard to engineer the perfect car, Eh?

Last edited:

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The noise becomes noticeable to me at about 45mph. Ive had 3 jeeps with hard tops and did not notice it being this bad. My brother drove it yesterday and was looking at the top windshield to hard top gap thinking it was coming from that(i, didnt ask him. He got out of the bronco and started looking on his own) Hes had 5 jeeps with the hard tops. Maybe the bronco ride is so nice, its the only thing i can complain about. That and not having real handles that you can actually use. You asked, i answered. I can talk to my passengers without issue at any speed also on the phone.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Barely noticeable to me.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Compared to a soft top it is night and day.

I took a dealer demo out for a day a couple of weeks ago (4-door, soft top, OB) and it was very loud. Normally I like to keep the radio at a level where you can still have a conversation, at 70 on the highway it was hear the radio OR conversation, not both.

I got my Bronco this week (4-door, MIC, SAS, BL) and I have been pleasantly surprised how quiet is it. While there is a little road and wind noise at highway speeds (to be expected), I can still have the radio at a comfortable level and have a conversation. Below 55, really no noticeable wind noise.

Last edited:

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of note in audio settings is a toggle for increasing volume as your speed increases. You can change it to HIGH and it compensates well for the wind noise from the hard top.

I think the noise is pretty loud. Like others say it's like a window is cracked. But it doesn't bother me as it's a removal hard top and you expect it. It's much less than my 95 Jeep was.

redstarn

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We have developed a wind noise on the passenger left window . This seems to to happen when the heater fan is on high , this is more like the window is open a bit . This leads me to think that the window has moved out of adjustment and is not going up fully when door is closed .I will certainly have this looked at see what the verdict is ? A new windshield has been changed under waranty , a crack started on the drivers side , i believe body shifts and if this becomes a problem , bye bye BRONCO ! No off roading , just highway driving and no rocks hit windshield.

Attachments

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 door MIC 2.0 top... I was expecting some wind noise but I was kinda taken aback at how loud it actually is...
This is at cruising 90 to 95Km/h and lower. Haven't had it at freeway speeds but probably progressively worse.
Can't really pin point any specific area where it may be worse or where it's coming from, but almost seems like passenger side-ish, towards the rear.
At some point I may pop off the front panels and look for pinching or misalignment.

Edit: so just got off the highway on my normal highway commute, and I need to revise my opinion...
Wind noise really not at all bad.
My initial impression was during gusty head and cross winds, which evidently makes a huge difference to noise level.
I'm totally happy with the noise/sound performance 👍🏻

Last edited:

brilltastic

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm coming from a 4Runner TRD Pro. The Bronco is remarkably quiet given it's off-road DNA. Very impressed.
Sponsored