First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, after changing my oil on my 2.3 Bronco. It came time to perform the flat foot crank.
I watched 3 videos showing how to do this. But none explained after pushing down break and gas pedal. Do you just push the start button once and release like you would when you start it normal. Or, do you continue to hold down the start button for im guessing 5 seconds and then release the start button. (Thats what I did)
Im thinking now that i should have just pressed start once.
Anyways.
Whats the right way.
Thanks
Sponsored

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also do this after oil changes, you only need to push it like when you normally start it.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is zero reason to do this after an oil change, but that’s besides the point.

To perform clear flood mode, hold down the gas and brake at the same time and press the start button. If you hold the button it will continue to crank as long as you hold it. If you just press it, it’ll crank for like 5 seconds or so.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is zero reason to do this after an oil change, but that’s besides the point.
My fellow Ducatista, console yourself with the knowledge it makes us feel better.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would anyone do this? Worried about oil in the filter? Fill the filter.
You can't fully fill the filter, it mounts horizontally (2.3). I was able to fill it about half w/o making a mess.

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would anyone do this? Worried about oil in the filter? Fill the filter.
It primes the entire oil system, instead of having a dry start. Fills the oil filter and all oil journals.

If you just fire the engine up there are thrust forces on "dry" bearings from the contained explosions in the combustion chamber. In this case the crankshaft is just rotated without the thrust forces on it.

It is necessary? Debatable. Although, think about this, why would Ford go through the trouble of putting in this function if there is not a reason behind it?

Bad-Daddy-Lands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco, ‘21 F250, ‘96 911/993
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^ yeah, weird to argue against doing this. It takes 5 seconds, literally.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It primes the entire oil system, instead of having a dry start. Fills the oil filter and all oil journals.

If you just fire the engine up there are thrust forces on "dry" bearings from the contained explosions in the combustion chamber. In this case the crankshaft is just rotated without the thrust forces on it.

It is necessary? Debatable. Although, think about this, why would Ford go through the trouble of putting in this function if there is not a reason behind it?
It wasn’t added as a function for changing oil. It’s purely a diagnostic mode intended to crank the engine without the fuel system, which is why Ford calls it clear flood mode.

Is it going to hurt anything? No. Is it going to help anything? Also no. The bearings aren’t “dry” after draining your oil. This would be the equivalent of doing it every morning after a cold soak. It’s just unnecessary.
Millions of oil changes done daily not using this shows it’s usefulness, or lack thereof.

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It wasn’t added as a function for changing oil. It’s purely a diagnostic mode intended to crank the engine without the fuel system, which is why Ford calls it clear flood mode.
I'd need some supporting documentation before I believe that one. This function is only on the new micro line of motors, it was not on the previous family of motors with the spin-on filters. This would tend to make me think it has more to do with the style of filters being used. I could be wrong, it has happened before, some time back in the '80s IIRC.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd need some supporting documentation before I believe that one. This function is only on the new micro line of motors, it was not on the previous family of motors with the spin-on filters. This would tend to make me think it has more to do with the style of filters being used. I could be wrong, it has happened before, some time back in the '80s IIRC.

The EEC-IV had (has) "flood clear". Didn't think any EFI Ford did not, since then.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engine Oil Draining and Filling
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment
Oil Drain Equipment
Draining
  1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    Refer to: Jacking and Lifting (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).
  1. NOTE: Use a shop towel when removing the oil filter housing to prevent oil from spilling on the engine or accessory components.
    1. Loosen the oil filter housing and allow the oil to drain out of the housing and down into the engine.
    1. Remove the oil filter housing and discard the oil filter element.
    1. Remove and discard the O-ring seals.
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
  1. NOTE: Underbody shields vary by model.
    1. Loosen the bolts.
    1. Remove the bolts and the underbody shield (plastic shield).
    1. Loosen the bolts.
    1. Remove the bolts and the underbody shield (metal shield).
  1. NOTE: The drain plug should be removed and installed by hand, do not use tools.
    1. Turn the oil drain plug by hand counterclockwise 120 degrees.
      Use the General Equipment: Oil Drain Equipment
    1. Pull the oil drain plug out of the oil pan.
    1. After the oil has drained, push the oil drain plug into the oil pan.
    1. NOTICE: Overtightening will damage the oil drain plug and possibly the oil pan.
      Turn the oil drain plug by hand clockwise 120 degrees.
  1. NOTE: Underbody shields vary by model.
    1. Install the underbody shield (plastic shield) and the bolts.
      Torque: 124 lb.in (14 Nm)
    1. Tighten the bolts.
      Torque: 124 lb.in (14 Nm)
    1. Install the underbody shield (metal shield) and the bolts.
      Torque: 26 lb.ft (35 Nm)
    1. Tighten the bolts.
      Torque: 26 lb.ft (35 Nm)
Filling
  1. NOTE: If the filter housing stem is damaged or missing the oil will flow through the reservoir drain port and a loss of engine oil pressure will occur.
    Inspect the oil filter housing and stem for damage including cracks or separation of the stem from the housing. If damaged, a new oil filter housing assembly must be installed.
    • NOTE: Failure to install new oil filter housing-to-engine front cover seals may result in oil leakage.
      Install new oil filter housing-to-engine front cover seals and lubricate with clean engine oil.
    • NOTE: Failure to install a new oil filter housing stem-to-oil reservoir drain port seal will result with the oil flowing through the reservoir drain port and a loss of engine oil pressure.
      Install a new oil filter housing stem-to-oil reservoir drain port seal and lubricate with clean engine oil.
    1. Install a new oil filter element.
    1. Install the oil filter housing.
      Torque: 18 lb.ft (24 Nm)
  1. Fill the engine with clean engine oil.
    Refer to: Specifications (303-01B Engine - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Specifications).
© Copyright 2023, Ford Motor Company.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Feel free to google clear flood mode, there is a plethora of information about it. It's been out for decades and has no bearing on oil filter design.
Sponsored

Reactions: OX1