First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Learn something new every day, been changing oil on my own vehicles since 1978, never heard of this. After a rebuild pulling the distributor and priming with a drill yes, this, no.
Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Feel free to google clear flood mode, there is a plethora of information about it. It's been out for decades and has no bearing on oil filter design.
ok, seems clear flood mode is a thing. Thought flooding went away with the carburetor. Seems like a result from a compound issue, anywho.

Seems this topic is next of kin to 'what type of oil is best'. Opinions on all sides, 'ya know what they say about opinions.

The reason I always buy new, with very few exceptions, is I know how the equipment has been treated, maintenance and/or abuse. I like new equipment and fresh lubricants. And, that is all I have to say about that.

....Butter Shrimp
Shrimp Cocktail
Bang Bang Shrimp
Shrimp Po' Boy
Shrimp and Rice
Seafood Gumbo
Spicy Grilled Shrimp
Shrimp Risotto
Cioppino
Shrimp Alfredo
Taco Lime Shrimp
Shrimp Stir-Fry......

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is a flat foot crank ? And why is it something you do after an oil change ?

OP
OP
Watzupdogs

Watzupdogs

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
So holding the start button down for 5 seconds didnt hurt anything I'm guessing.
Instead of just pressing it once?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is a flat foot crank ? And why is it something you do after an oil change ?
Flat foot crack is actually called "Clear Flood Mode". Basically the starter will turn over he engine, but the fuel injectors will won't spray fuel into the cylinders. The end result is the engine will turn over but not fire.

The REAL purpose for Clear Flood Mode is to... well... clear a flooded engine of too much fuel/oil/whatever—hence the name "Clear Flood Mode". However, because cranking the engine also turns over the oil pump you can use Clear Flood Mode to prime the oil system before actually starting the vehicle after an oil change.

As @Ducati1098 said... it's completely unnecessary. But it won't cause any harm and it gives people warm/fuzzy feelings, so there really is no reason not to do it.

Sponsored

EBG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71EB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I could see it coming in handy after going through deep water and possibly ingesting some water through the air filter intake.

Worried about hydro-locking your engine? (Water doesn't compress. Or oil. Or fuel.) Tow it onto dry land, pull the plugs, flat foot crank to clear everything out. Reinstall plugs. Drive away.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Waste of time.
Engine is cranking oil is being pumped through engine and let idle all good.

Change oil and filter start and go full throttle not so good

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can't fully fill the filter, it mounts horizontally (2.3). I was able to fill it about half w/o making a mess.
So do you crank it like this every time you start the vehicle?

james1414d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yugo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Clear flood mode is common across all brands for.......clearing a flooded conditoin. I do this at work when I replace a short block or something, but for an oil change.......LOL!!!

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was watching a video on the 6.7L power stroke and it's oil system. It has to pump almost a gallon of oil before some important things get oil pressure. I believe he was making a check valve so the oil would stay in "most" of the passage ways and not drain back to the sump. After watching this it got me thinking about the clear flood mode. My Super Duty sits for weeks at a time, sometimes a month or so. I'm going to be doing this on it before I start it after sitting so long.

I also like it for that possible water ingestion...
Sponsored