Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m pretty much going with the 2.7 to ā€œfuture proofā€ myself. I think the 2.3 is adequate. But then again I have a 205 horsepower V6 in my Jeep that is perfectly adequate too.

Iā€™d rather have something that is quick. And that I donā€™t ever have a regret of ā€œwow why didnā€™t I spend that extra $2kā€.
You have me thinking as I have owned jeeps and the engine is adequate but definitely could be better, especially on 35s. I drove my Jeep from Pa to California, ran Colorado, Moab, The Rubicon trail and the Jeep was great on trail but not as fast/quick on highway as I would have liked.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How did it do through the mountains in NC, WV, VA, etc.? Did it struggle at all on the steep ones? And by struggle I mean did the engine scream or did the transmission have trouble picking gears?
Actually no, it was pretty good. It was quiet but responsive. I could pass easily when I wanted to. Driving at 65 and then kicking up to 80-85 was easy. No real issues on hills. But again, 35s would make a difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What packages do you plan to get on your Badlands-Sasquatch Bronco?
i was planning on squatch, 2.7, Auto, High but this drive is making me guess, do I really now need the 2.7. Some of the feedback so far is keeping the 2.7 on the list though as I canā€™t go back after I take delivery and change from the 2.3 to the 2.7. Choices, ugh...

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is that with just a driver? Put 2-3 passengers and some gear, the 2.3 might not feel as strong.
Had the wife, our 60lb dog and about 80 lbs of luggage as we weā€™re a way for a week and a half. Also had my tool box which weighs about 35 lbs And a half a bag of dog food (15 lbs).

again, I was pleasantly surprised.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Conversation is about 2.3 in a ranger not bronco which tow ratings are not finalized.
Bronco max tow rating is 3,500 confirmed by Ford and what they have shown all along.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the report and that's good to hear, because I'm likely going manual trans base model, which means 2.3L. My main concern is if down the road towing. Something not too heavy such as a trailer with 12' aluminum row boat and gear. Hopefully 2.3L would be up to the challenge. I used to flat tow vehicles with my 258ci inline 6cyl CJ7. Didn't break a sweat. Could 2.3L handle that?
i Donā€™t do a lot of towing but based on this ride and if I was on the same trip and towing an 12ā€˜ aluminum boat/trailer, Iā€™m pretty sure it would have been more than fine.

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How's the 2.3 gonna be if your a 20K a yr driver.... after 100 K miles? will it hold up to highway miles over time? that's my biggest concern as I want the manual trans and have to stay w it
Not sure I can help newer this question for you. My guess is probably both Ford engines should hold up over time/mileage For 20k yr driving For 5 years but After 100k, anyoneā€™s guess

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
How's the 2.3 gonna be if your a 20K a yr driver.... after 100 K miles? will it hold up to highway miles over time? that's my biggest concern as I want the manual trans and have to stay w it
Honestly highway miles are way less destructive to a vehicle than constant start stops.

But thereā€™s someone on the F-150 forums that is close to 400k on a 2015 2.7. I donā€™t believe there is any 2.3 with that many miles yet.

Still, driving that much Iā€™d honestly be more worried about suspension problems than powertrains.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.7 in my f150 has been treating me very well for almost 5 years and just under 50k miles so Iā€™ll be going with the 2.7 again in the bronco. Also as a ford dealership technician after the constant failures of the 1.5 eb, 1.6eb and the 2.0 I just donā€™t trust fords 4 cylinder engines in suvs. The 2.3 seems to be doing great in mustangs but Iā€™ve replaced too many engines, heads and blocks to ever consider a 4 cylinder in my personal vehicle.
Sponsored