Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had to drive back from Alabama to Pa and the rental car they gave me was a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT with FX4 package. I was so excited as I wanted to see how this thing handled and drove, having the 2.3L and I was actually pretty impressed. The 2.3L had good acceleration, seemed responsive and even was great going 80-90 most of the trip. Gas mileage was good too. I liked the seating and dash setup amd could see how it could be modified for the Bronco.

I was leaning to getting the 2.7L in my Bronco Badlands but driving this for 775 miles was very nice and now I think I could live with the 2.3. I am Sasquatching but I still felt like this would be fine with 35s, especially with the 4.7 gear ratio.

any reason I should stick with 2.7 when I order?
Sponsored

Last edited:

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to drive back from Alabama to Pa and the rental car they gave me was a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT with FX4 package. I was so excited as I wanted to see how this thing handled and drove, having the 2.3L and I was actually pretty impressed. The 2.3L had good acceleration, seemed responsive and even was great going 80-90 most of the trip. Gas mileage was good too.

I was leaning to getting the 2.7L in my Bronco Badlands but driving this for 775 miles was very nice and now I think I could live with the 2.3. I am Sasquatching but I still felt like this would be fine with 35s, especially with the 4.7 gear ratio.

I am on the same boat as well. The 2.3 Ecoboost is a good engine and when paired with the 10 speed auto, it makes a great combination.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to drive back from Alabama to Pa and the rental car they gave me was a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT with FX4 package. I was so excited as I wanted to see how this thing handled and drove, having the 2.3L and I was actually pretty impressed. The 2.3L had good acceleration, seemed responsive and even was great going 80-90 most of the trip. Gas mileage was good too. I liked the seating and dash setup amd could see how it could be modified for the Bronco.

Define good gas mileage? If the 2.3 and 2.7 were within 1 MPG which would you choose?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m pretty much going with the 2.7 to “future proof” myself. I think the 2.3 is adequate. But then again I have a 205 horsepower V6 in my Jeep that is perfectly adequate too.

I’d rather have something that is quick. And that I don’t ever have a regret of “wow why didn’t I spend that extra $2k”.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What packages do you plan to get on your Badlands-Sasquatch Bronco?

Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Well the 2.7 will be even better. Both should be fine tuned. Can't really change your engine in the future so better to spend some dough on it.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

How did it do through the mountains in NC, WV, VA, etc.? Did it struggle at all on the steep ones? And by struggle I mean did the engine scream or did the transmission have trouble picking gears?

JerseyRuss

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How's the 2.3 gonna be if your a 20K a yr driver.... after 100 K miles? will it hold up to highway miles over time? that's my biggest concern as I want the manual trans and have to stay w it

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Thanks for the report and that's good to hear, because I'm likely going manual trans base model, which means 2.3L. My main concern is if down the road towing. Something not too heavy such as a trailer with 12' aluminum row boat and gear. Hopefully 2.3L would be up to the challenge. I used to flat tow vehicles with my 258ci inline 6cyl CJ7. Didn't break a sweat. Could 2.3L handle that?

Sponsored

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3 will out run a ton of cars on the road and has plenty of power. The only concern I'd have is if you want 35s or greater and spend a lot of time at 70+ You would still have plenty of power but mileage will start to dip. Both engines are miles a ahead of current Jeep offerings.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is that with just a driver? Put 2-3 passengers and some gear, the 2.3 might not feel as strong.

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Define good gas mileage? If the 2.3 and 2.7 were within 1 MPG which would you choose?
I got between 22-24mpg, I was going fast and this had the 265r17 AT tires so that was not that bad.

I’m not buying a Bronco with any care of MPGs so just want what is best, still debating 2.3 vs 2.7 but was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the report and that's good to hear, because I'm likely going manual trans base model, which means 2.3L. My main concern is if down the road towing. Something not too heavy such as a trailer with 12' aluminum row boat and gear. Hopefully 2.3L would be up to the challenge. I used to flat tow vehicles with my 258ci inline 6cyl CJ7. Didn't break a sweat. Could 2.3L handle that?
If the tow rating stays at 3500 you would barely know it's back there engine wise.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that with just a driver? Put 2-3 passengers and some gear, the 2.3 might not feel as strong.
This isn't a NA old school 4 cyl, 400-500lbs of passengers makes virtually no difference in a vehicle that tows 7,500.
Sponsored