Sponsored

UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...)

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Saw the list of Manual Mannequins currently at dealerships across the country.
There is a CO Badlands 4D Manual at Ricart Ford and I'm planning on driving it tomorrow (July 6).

Really hoping that it has enough get-up-and-go!
I'm currently driving a manual Tacoma TRD Pro and although it is a great truck, it is a little on the slow side.

We've been waiting essentially 1 entire year to get to drive these things and to say I'm excited is an understatement.
If there is anything you guys would like me to look out for, I will try my best to report it back here tomorrow

21_FRD_BRO_B0I1292_32.jpg

Going to bring a GoPro camera.
@ Cactus Jack - could you please report if the GOAT modes with change the driving dynamics in the manual?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@ Cactus Jack - could you please report if the GOAT modes with change the driving dynamics in the manual?
Thanks!
You have to press the throttle a bit more in Eco vs. Normal.

You won't see much difference other than that since the computer cannot control when a human shifts.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have.

It was unbelievable how easy it was to drive. It felt as natural as getting in my Miata that I've had for 5.5 years. Truly, it was as if I designed it myself.
Well Ben, you've made my day.
Ben

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Give an idea of the power. And also how well the gear progression works (given what some have said about gaps).

Having driven a 3-speed manual CJ5 for many years and enjoyed the hell out of it gaps and all, I bet the Bronco will be fine. But any manual Bronco insight is appreciated, thanks!

Elonmsk

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, F430, Viper GTS ACR, E60 M5, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spent an entire day in a MT 4-door badlands during the Off-Roadeo event last week. Power is excellent, the crawler gear was amazing. The clutch is very lite, took a minute for me to adjust, otherwise it felt great. Keep in mind, I'm coming from a 5th gen 4Runner on 37s, so everything to me is quick. Let me know if you have any questions. Btw, I ordered a 4-door MT Badlands.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I spent an entire day in a MT 4-door badlands during the Off-Roadeo event last week. Power is excellent, the crawler gear was amazing. The clutch is very lite, took a minute for me to adjust, otherwise it felt great. Keep in mind, I'm coming from a 5th gen 4Runner on 37s, so everything to me is quick. Let me know if you have any questions. Btw, I ordered a 4-door MT Badlands.
I've only sat in a 4-door manual Bronco at a Ford early showing. But I did play around with the lockout ring, shifting into/out of the crawler gear. Seemed like a smooth operation. Was that your experience shifting?

Also probably my greatest manual concern is the electronic switch parking brake, because I am a big time user of manual parking brake lever when operating a vehicle. Still not clear how well the electronic parking brake is going to work in dicey off-road situations. Did you try it at all?

Elonmsk

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, F430, Viper GTS ACR, E60 M5, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only sat in a 4-door manual Bronco at a Ford early showing. But I did play around with the lockout ring, shifting into/out of the crawler gear. Seemed like a smooth operation. Was that your experience shifting?

Also probably my greatest manual concern is the electronic switch parking brake, because I am a big time user of manual parking brake lever when operating a vehicle. Still not clear how well the electronic parking brake is going to work in dicey off-road situations. Did you try it at all?
I don't like the electronic parking brake but the instructor showed me some unique features of the manual I had not used in past vehicles.

1. Hill Start Assist - This worked great and held the bronco for a couple seconds, I found this very helpful with some of the big inclines.

2. You have the option to start in gear, the instructor demonstrated this on the trail using the crawler gear. Didn't use any throttle, I just let out the clutch and the vehicle engaged.

Overall, I'm glad I went with the MT. I had the opportunity to drive the Auto on day 1 and the MT on day 2 - I felt much more engaged with the MT + the obvious fun factor.

OP
OP
Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Had the opportunity to drive this vehicle. Updated the original post with a review.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What rpm's were you shifting at? As someone mentioned, keep rpm's above 2k, actually in my opinion shift between 2500-3000 rpms.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shift at 2500 for fuel economy. Shift at 3000-3500 for acceleration. This is a 4cyl, not a V8. Lugging it in the the 1800-2000rpm range won't do you any favors.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How about rev hang?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, a bit of rule of thumb for engines...

The smaller the displacement and less cylinder count means piston speeds need to increase to make comparable power to a larger engine engine with a higher cylinder count; i.e. means you have to rev a smaller engine faster for it to make power...
Sponsored