Sponsored

UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...)

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
UPDATE - Had the opportunity to drive this vehicle.

THOUGHTS:
First of all, Cyber orange looks great. Definitely will turn some heads. The 33" tires look massive, even after seeing a Sasquatch in person.

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) IMG_7702

HOW DOES THE SHIFTER & CLUTCH PEDAL FEEL?
The shifter feels good, it is notchey and is in an almost perfect position (Not too tall, not too short).
The clutch pedal is light, and I mean EXTREMELY light. This isn't a bad thing, it just takes a little getting used to in the first 5 or so minutes of driving.
Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) IMG_7701

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) IMG_7700

DRIVING EXPERIENCE:
Shifting the Bronco certainly is enjoyable, but in my opinion, it felt considerably slower than the 2.7. The reason this came as a surprise to me is because so many reviews had mentioned that the 2.3 was quick. I would have to disagree. I understand these vehicles are not for speed, but at the same time, the 2.7 auto just felt so much quicker. It very well could have been I was just shifting too early in the manual?

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) IMG_7699

FINAL THOUGHTS:
It is going to be difficult to choose between manual and auto 2.7. Manual is fun, but 2.7 is faster.
I am a die-hard manual driver, but may very well go with the 2.7 for the extra torque.

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) IMG_7698

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Saw the list of Manual Mannequins currently at dealerships across the country.
There is a CO Badlands 4D Manual at Ricart Ford and I'm planning on driving it tomorrow (July 6).

Really hoping that it has enough get-up-and-go!
I'm currently driving a manual Tacoma TRD Pro and although it is a great truck, it is a little on the slow side.

We've been waiting essentially 1 entire year to get to drive these things and to say I'm excited is an understatement.
If there is anything you guys would like me to look out for, I will try my best to report it back here tomorrow

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) 21_FRD_BRO_B0I1292_32

Going to bring a GoPro camera.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AaronS

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep going back and forth on the 2.3 MT for the fun factor and the 2.7 for the power. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

AaronS

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3/MT power reports are hit or miss. Can you take note of the axle ratio if you comment on power?
Manual badlands should be 4.7 if my memory serves correctly

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Manual badlands should be 4.7 if my memory serves correctly
Should, but the last review the guy though it was working really hard. non-squatch 2.3 MT should have no problem pushing those tires with a 4.7. I'm curious if Ford is saving some inventory and sending higher gearing in some mannequins.

Sponsored

70Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco; 11 Jetta TDI; 03 Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a CO Badlands 4D Manual at Ricart Ford and I'm planning on driving it tomorrow (July 6).

I'm currently driving a manual Tacoma TRD Pro and although it is a great truck, it is a little on the slow side.

We've been waiting essentially 1 entire year to get to drive these things and to say I'm excited is an understatement.
If there is anything you guys would like me to look out for, I will try my best to report it back here tomorrow

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Finally Drove a Manual 2.3L (Not What I Was Expecting...) 21_FRD_BRO_B0I1292_32

Where does one find this list of Manual Mannequins at dealerships ?

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Cactus Jack, if you could comment on:
1 - whether their demo has the sound deadening installed in the MIC, and what the road noise is like?
2 - It looks like the demo has the upgraded 33" BF's, if so, how is the tire noise?
3 - how is the shifting on the MT? Is it a tight, shorter throw or long and sloppy?
4 - how does it drive, does the steering feel tight and responsive?
5 - Give the brakes a hard slam and let us know how they felt?
Enjoy the opportunity to drive on, and know that I am very jealous as no demo's in my area yet.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

could you let us know how the manual handles highway driving, merging etc? I’ve read a lot of reviews about how it’s great off road but the reality is 95% of the time I won’t be off road in it. Thinking of getting a manual showing up in a dealers stock at the end of August, because I’m sick of waiting on my day 1 res to get a build date. Appreciate any feedback and thanks!

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I look forward to your opinion on the power because that is my build. I don't need a ton, but I want enough.

Sponsored

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A sense of the real world power band, ie, how short is first? How tall are second and third? Does she lug when moving into fourth? Obviously not expecting you to completely wring it out or anything, but just in natural, easy driving while smiling at the salesman riding shotgun...how does the power band seem to relate to the gearing? Thanks.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A sense of the real world power band, ie, how short is first? How tall are second and third? Does she lug when moving into fourth? Obviously not expecting you to completely wring it out or anything, but just in natural, easy driving while smiling at the salesman riding shotgun...how does the power band seem to relate to the gearing? Thanks.
@CactusJack some of the reports said that there's a big gap between 2nd and 3rd, and then even from 3rd to 4th. Can you please get in some low RPM shifts and some high RPM shifts to see how bad these are?

Also if you haven't driven a turboed vehicle before can you please have a read of how to get decent starting power out of them? Then if you have a chance take off both with and without the trubos spooled to see the difference?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@CactusJack some of the reports said that there's a big gap between 2nd and 3rd, and then even from 3rd to 4th. Can you please get in some low RPM shifts and some high RPM shifts to see how bad these are?

Also if you haven't driven a turboed vehicle before can you please have a read of how to get decent starting power out of them? Then if you have a chance take off both with and without the trubos spooled to see the difference?
Dude, you're thinking way too much into this. The damn thing gets up to speed just fine. The ratios aren't as far apart as some are expressing, and they're nowhere near as bad as the JL/JT Jeeps. Starting off is a breeze, it's easy as hell to drive.

Just don't lug it under 1,000 RPM if you're in second or higher. Keep RPMs over 2k and you'll have no issues around town.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dude, you're thinking way too much into this. The damn thing gets up to speed just fine. The ratios aren't as far apart as some are expressing, and they're nowhere near as bad as the JL/JT Jeeps. Starting off is a breeze, it's easy as hell to drive.

Just don't lug it under 1,000 RPM if you're in second or higher. Keep RPMs over 2k and you'll have no issues around town.
I take it you've driven one then? If so this is great news and thank you for sharing it. Although I must say that "better than JL" is a pretty low bar to set!! 😄

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I take it you've driven one then? If so this is great news and thank you for sharing it. Although I must say that "better than JL" is a pretty low bar to set!! 😄
I have.

It was unbelievable how easy it was to drive. It felt as natural as getting in my Miata that I've had for 5.5 years. Truly, it was as if I designed it myself.
Sponsored