Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Every set of coopers we have had for daily driving and every now and then off-road have been great. We usually go with Discoverer AT3s or STTs
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I appreciate all the responses. From most of my research this weekend (from truck/off-road forums to professional reviews), it seems feedback is about 3:1 on the K02's being fine in the rain versus not great in the rain. And this of course has many of its own variables, from the slippery experience being on oily roads after a fresh rain to overinflated tires.... so who knows.

Ironically, if you take any of the other tires that were mentioned in the thread here and do a google search for "[tire name] in rain" you will find posts/reviews of people saying the rain traction is great, and others saying it sucks. I don't get the impression there's any magic bullet.

In summary, who knows... The K02's are about $70 less per tire than the Nitto's, $90 less than the Falkens, and $50 less than the Toyo open country's per tire. I honestly just don't think I've read anything that convinces me any of the other options are significantly better than the K02's in rain, especially for another $250-$500 for a set. I think it may be more important to focus on appropriate tire inflation and break-in than there being any A/T tire that won't have the occasional slippage issue in wet conditions. I think I'm back where I started and the lesson is don't overinflate and don't drive like a potato.

This was interesting: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...width=35X&ratio=12.5&diameter=17&cameFrom=TSR

Anyone have experience with General Grabbers or Yoko Geolanders? Getting good vibes on the Geolanders. May be a nice middle ground on price and better wet traction rating than the K02's.

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

KO2's on my Raptor (in Oregon). The first 20k-25k are actually pretty good in the rain. Fresh snow they are good. Packed snow, no good at all. Now at 30k they are getting a little slick in the rain (on ramps) but not bad.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For your needs why not stick with what Ford chose? The lightest 34.4” known to man. The Goodyear’s. 10 pounds lighter than those K02’s. Rotational, unsprung, and static weight loss is your friend, my friend…
For straight up street driving - sure. But the Wrangler Tires you are referencing are known for having really thin sidewalls.

Depending on wheel choice it can almost even out. I went 17x8.5 aftermarket wheels on our '22 BB 2dr with 315/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and the wheel / tire combo weighs less than 5lbs more than the Sasquatch setup.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I appreciate all the responses. From most of my research this weekend (from truck/off-road forums to professional reviews), it seems feedback is about 3:1 on the K02's being fine in the rain versus not great in the rain. And this of course has many of its own variables, from the slippery experience being on oily roads after a fresh rain to overinflated tires.... so who knows.

Ironically, if you take any of the other tires that were mentioned in the thread here and do a google search for "[tire name] in rain" you will find posts/reviews of people saying the rain traction is great, and others saying it sucks. I don't get the impression there's any magic bullet.

In summary, who knows... The K02's are about $70 less per tire than the Nitto's, $90 less than the Falkens, and $50 less than the Toyo open country's per tire. I honestly just don't think I've read anything that convinces me any of the other options are significantly better than the K02's in rain, especially for another $250-$500 for a set. I think it may be more important to focus on appropriate tire inflation and break-in than there being any A/T tire that won't have the occasional slippage issue in wet conditions. I think I'm back where I started and the lesson is don't overinflate and don't drive like a potato.

This was interesting: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...width=35X&ratio=12.5&diameter=17&cameFrom=TSR

Anyone have experience with General Grabbers or Yoko Geolanders? Getting good vibes on the Geolanders. May be a nice middle ground on price and better wet traction rating than the K02's.

Is there a reason you're tied to 35x12.5x17 instead of 315/70/17?

Height and width vary by manufacturer anyway.

These are the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s with the specs

Ford Bronco I need tire help... 1652113024479

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For straight up street driving - sure. But the Wrangler Tires you are referencing are known for having really thin sidewalls.

Depending on wheel choice it can almost even out. I went 17x8.5 aftermarket wheels on our '22 BB 2dr with 315/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and the wheel / tire combo weighs less than 5lbs more than the Sasquatch setup.
I guess a person has to prioritize on where they drive the most and compromise as needed.
Yes, going with a lighter wheels will help a bit but the main factor in rotational weight in more of a product of the placement of the weight further from the axle. Heavier tires zap road performance.
I’m not questioning your choice. Sounds like a good pick for your needs.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is there a reason you're tied to 35x12.5x17 instead of 315/70/17?

Height and width vary by manufacturer anyway.

These are the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s with the specs

Ford Bronco I need tire help... 1652113024479
My wheels are spec'd for 35x12.5x17 (VenomRex 601BL). So I've been going by that. But I certainly understand tires can be stretched, etc to fit a variety of specs.

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had KO2's on my Wrangler and I loved them. Looked meaty, were fairly quiet and performed great in the rain and the snow.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My wheels are spec'd for 35x12.5x17 (VenomRex 601BL). So I've been going by that. But I certainly understand tires can be stretched, etc to fit a variety of specs.
It's not stretch I referred to. The specs I posted are just the tire. It varies my manufacturer and tire model.

Any wheel spec'd for 35x12.5x17 will absolutely work with 315/70/17. On the Nitto's I posted, the recommended wheel widths are 8-10" for BOTH 35x12.5x17 and 315/70/17.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BFG KO2s are smooth, quite and have there place. I will stick by saying BFG KO2 are okay, same bracket is Nitto and Toyo. You will find people buy them more for tire life, and that is there selling point.

General AT2 is not a bad tire, I have had a few pairs and they did just as well as K02. I bought them because they were substantially cheaper, and no real difference from the original.

My last set of Nitto AWT rank worse than the $500 set off brand Pathfinder At. Triple peak rated disappointment, poor life and rock hard.

Lets just say when you work remote mine sites and need tires you end up with lots of different combinations to compare. Tires don't wear out they get shredded. Its also a cost thing, so I would throw crap tires on to get the truck to the end of the job as it was an internal loaner. Some times you win, some times you lose(time and money). At least no one is pushing bridgestone duelers anymore...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just put a set of 33" KO2's on my H3T five weeks ago. This past Saturday I just ran them out Route 50 in Virginia/West Virgina from Winchester, VA to PawPaw, WV in heavy rain. RT 50 from Winchester to Paw Paw is a road course-level race track. The KO2's stick in the rain as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports AS4's on any of my three BMWs.

I was quite impressed with the KO2's.
That's quite the boast. I've run that route in my M3 flat out. If they held up on that stretch with no slips, that's saying something for sure.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's where I'm at with more research in no particular order:
-Yokohoma Geolander G015 ($335)
-BFG K02's ($355)
-General Grabber ($375)
-Toyo Open Country ATIII ($405)
-Falken Wildpeak ($423)

Snowboarder777

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am really liking the BF KO2 on my first edition sasquatch. Very smooth and comfortable. Amazing in heavy rain without hydroplaning or skidding. They are much better than the Goodyear territory tires that came with the Bronco. The noise is less over the Goodyears and much more composed. The tires balanced so well without much balancing weights and they all had extremely low road force numbers. I highly recommend them.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here's where I'm at with more research in no particular order:
-Yokohoma Geolander G015 ($335)
-BFG K02's ($355)
-General Grabber ($375)
-Toyo Open Country ATIII ($405)
-Falken Wildpeak ($423)
FWIW, last month I paid $338 each plus install for my 315/70/17 Wildpeaks AT3s. They come highly recommended here in MN for their snow traction and relatively quiet manners on road.

A5AF782B-C054-440B-92B7-A4926CF39714.jpeg

22146077-C977-4FD4-B5F3-EFE46E5D1A54.jpeg

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FWIW, last month I paid $338 each plus install for my 315/70/17 Wildpeaks AT3s. They come highly recommended here in MN for their snow traction and relatively quiet manners on road.

Ford Bronco I need tire help... 22146077-C977-4FD4-B5F3-EFE46E5D1A54

Ford Bronco I need tire help... 22146077-C977-4FD4-B5F3-EFE46E5D1A54
Lookin good! These tire prices are insane right now!
Sponsored