Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 ford f350 diesel dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
This is my fun truck! Why would anyone buy one to ruin it by commuting a gazillion miles????? I have a Honda civic for that.
Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
Your funny, expecting a big heavy brick shaped vehicle to get good milage.

"A manual would help"... This isn't the 80s anymore, automatics routinely get the same or better milage than the manual now days.

Hilarious 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as I'm on this earth, I'm gonna burn my fair share of dinosaurs.
Because you are a dinosaur yourself! The mpg argument has obvious correlations:

Old/trumper— loves gas guzzlin’

Young/woke mob—loves electric

I’m 28 so I love hybrids.

Sooo predictable!

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whoa my dude, I think you might have misunderstood my tone. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton while serving in the Marines. Personally I love California. I was just making the point that it will be awhile before the government makes any drastic moves on EVs and California's legislation shows that.

S4DDLUP

Wildtrak
First Name
J.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 '94 Bronco, '15 F-Type S, '11 TL, '16 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There's no way you sold a 93 Toyota for any more than 10k "recently" unless you put that much money into it. Or it was a Land Cruiser.
However, I will say, I was thinking similar but not entirely. I recently put 1k on the Rivian R1S just in case. I have a '94 Bronco and I plan on using my '22 A LOT, but Im ready to venture into electric. Bronco will be my 2nd to last gas vehicle.

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Reality might have something to say about your belief's trumping chemistry, physics, and the availability of raw materials (while batteries can be made from various chemicals, very few are suited for long draw and quick charging. It is also a filthy technology. Lots of nasty byproducts from manufacturing and disposal.)

It is a dead end technology that cannot replace ICE unless you drastically (read; force) change on how people use vehicles and where they live.
The cost of battery power trains continue to drop, and range and charging times continue to improve. The performance of EV’s coupled with their lower cost of maintenance, will eventually win over the general public. Most people are not car enthusiasts. They just want reliable transportation that’s cheap to own. If it’s fun to drive, that’s a bonus.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I considered that too and my state (California) has already banned sale of new gas vehicles after 2035.

By 2035 I honestly do not expect electric vehicles to have taken over. The oil companies control all the energy on the planet. The US dollar is oil and that global control isn't going to end, ever or unless WW3 happens. They don't give a rats arse about us or the environment. It's about money and control and they aren't giving up anything.

I agree with you about spending $50k.

Go base model for $30k, 2-door manual and after you get it put 32" tires on it, or buy take-offs. There's a bunch of take-offs already out there for sale.
My 2.3 auto has been getting 24 mpg no problem. But this will be my last gas only vehicle. I hope they come out with a hybrid bronco for the next gen. I'll gladly trade in.

Ford already has a retrofit elector motor for older vehicles so when it's time to change there will will a bunch of alternative motors be it electric, hydrogen, or what-ever the future has to offer!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the switch to EV’s will come sooner than everyone thinks. Range and charging is going to drastically improve over the next couple of years. When we can go 500+ miles on a single charge and recharge in less than 10 minutes, the ICE will be history 😎.
yeah I hope so but don't UNDERSTIMATE the ABSOLUTE POWER of the oil cartel and the politicians (Ours and other countries). Oil sets global prices of everything. You cant just assume they will go away cuz of better tech.

Thomman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Cooper S, 2012 Skoda Yeti, 2018 Tiger 800
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMHO, truly depends on what you want…

Daily Driving - my Bronco will not be my daily driver - my current DD (Mini Cooper S) gets me close to 35 MPG if I treat her right.

Overlanding - I’m buying the Bronco not for it’s MPG, but for its visceral appeal but most importantly, because I want a rugged vehicle that is capable off-road that I can drive around the world. Will an EV allow me to do it? Nope not yet, coz’ a majority of where I want to go will have nothing close to a reliable EV charging infrastructure at least for the next 20 years, and of course I don’t mean the US or the developed world.

Off-Roading - While I loved the diesel ‘Yota Hilux that I had in Malaysia, and I know I’ll love my gas Bronco even more, the more I see the capabilities of EV’s I feel they will ultimately make a better technical platform for off-road vehicles. You want individual lockers? Individual motors controlling all four wheels will do just that, and torque vector for you, to boot. You want good clearance/lift? Air suspensions like on the Rivian and even the ICE Defender will give you that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see air suspension kits in the near future that’ll give you more articulation than a Wrangler with a solid axle. You want high torque at super slow ground speeds for rock-crawling? You need high crawl ratios to get max torque at low ground speed for ICE vehicles. Electric motors give you max torque at zero RPMs; you’ll be able to literally walk over rocks.

I fully expect the Bronco to be my last new ICE vehicle because that’s the way the World is going whether we like it or not. My next DD will most likely be an EV … unfortunately….

Day 1 Reservation, 4DR, BL, 2.3MT, NO Build date yet. Do I think I’m Out? HELL, NO…

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yeah I hope so but don't UNDERSTIMATE the ABSOLUTE POWER of the oil cartel (Ours and other countries). Oil sets global prices of everything. You cant just assume they will go away cuz of better tech.
Better tech that will eventually cost less than an ICE, a lot less.

Erick2123

Badlands
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Acura TLX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sounds like in your situation you may actually enjoy and get the epa you are looking for in a ford maverick. they are phenomenal on epa and price is no where close to the bronco. but i dont think electric trucks will take over gas any time soon the price point is 25-30% more than standard but best of luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.