Sponsored

I was involved in an accident -- fix at dealer or independent shop?

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pacifica, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry to post another accident thread but I am looking for advice.
I was driving through intersection when a dodge ram hit me on the side. The hit was mainly on the rear passenger tire it shifted out of place. I am guessing the rear axle and one shock needs to be replaced but I am not sure. I attached a few pictures please share your opinion.

I reached out to my dealer and they said I have to bring it in Monday for an assessment. Do you guys recommend fixing it at the dealer or sending it to another shop and get some aftermarket parts maybe a 2 inch lift and an aftermarket rear bumper?

if I fix it at the dealership can I get aftermarket parts like a bumper to be installed?

thank you

IMG_2111.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

IMG_2110.jpeg

IMG_2087.jpeg
Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most dealers donā€™t do body work. Bring it to your local body shop. Your Insurance agent should be able to recommend a good one

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer has a body shop, and does a great job. They replaced the passenger side of my truck bed on my 2016 F150.

As stated check with your insurance company to see what they recommend.

As for the shop doing a bunch extra, that is between you and the shop. I know I could get the dealer to do it for me, if the cost wasn't much different. If there is a lot more work and cost they might not.

Your best bet is talk to them when you bring in for appraisal. Find the shop that does the best work in your opinion, and will work with you.

Last edited:

Bluovlfan

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only thing I would have to say about a local body shop is any possible limitations.

My damage was a little different as it involved electrical in the front corner, but they had a heck of a time calibrating my camera and headlights. They aren't inexperienced as they've been highly reviewed for 30+ yrs, but it's going back a third time because the one headlight will occasionally stay on after parking/locking vehicle.

Not sure if a Ford dealer would be better equipped to do this type of programming but I've wondered.

OP
OP
M_Bronco

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My dealer has a body shop, and does a great job. They replaced the passenger side of my truck bed on my 2016 F150.

As stated check with your insurance company to see what they recommend.

As for the shop doing a bunch extra, that is between you and the shop. I know I could get the dealer to do it for me, if the cost wasn't much different. If there is a lot more work and cost they might not.

Your best bet is talk to them when you bring in for appraisal. Find the shop that does the best work in your opinion, and will work with you.
Thank you for the advice Iā€™m going to check with the dealership before they start working on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
M_Bronco

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only thing I would have to say about a local body shop is any possible limitations.

My damage was a little different as it involved electrical in the front corner, but they had a heck of a time calibrating my camera and headlights. They aren't inexperienced as they've been highly reviewed for 30+ yrs, but it's going back a third time because the one headlight will occasionally stay on after parking/locking vehicle.

Not sure if a Ford dealer would be better equipped to do this type of programming but I've wondered.
thank you for the reply. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about since itā€™s not only body work I want to fix it one and done. I think Iā€™m going to fix it at the dealership and hopefully Iā€™ll be able to replace the rear bumper with and aftermarket one.

Bluovlfan

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thank you for the reply. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about since itā€™s not only body work I want to fix it one and done. I think Iā€™m going to fix it at the dealership and hopefully Iā€™ll be able to replace the rear bumper with and aftermarket one.
If its through an insurance claim I wouldn't see why a dealer couldn't submit an appearance allowance. I ended up getting an aftermarket front bumper delivered to the shop for install. Ended up being $500 less than the OEM modular. Crazy how much factory parts are, one headlight was $1600

OP
OP
M_Bronco

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If its through an insurance claim I wouldn't see why a dealer couldn't submit an appearance allowance. I ended up getting an aftermarket front bumper delivered to the shop for install. Ended up being $500 less than the OEM modular. Crazy how much factory parts are, one headlight was $1600
Thatā€™s whatā€™s in mind instead of an oem bumper Iā€™ll get a steel one. Iā€™m going to check with them if I can do that.

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco Wildtrak, ā€˜22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve used my Toyota dealerā€˜s in-house body shop to fix my LX LandCruiser and Iā€™ve used independent shops for the same vehicle. Iā€˜ve also used the same dealer on my Tundra.

Honestly, there is no advantage going with the dealer. They all source the exact same parts, work with the same budget and hire the same caliber of repair person. The only difference is the dealer is likely $10-$20 more per hour for labor.

The dealer isnā€™t going to get anything special from Toyota that an independent canā€™t get. Most aftermarket parts are sourced from a third party.

The last time I was at the dealerā€™s body shop, they had to replace the after market rock slider among other things. When they called me to pick it up, they had forgotten to replace the rock slider and a rear door threshold. They had both of them in the shop (I picked it up the next day). They simply forgot.

I havenā€™t gone back to the dealer. I have gone back to my independent shop.

OP
OP
M_Bronco

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve used my Toyota dealerā€˜s in-house body shop to fix my LX LandCruiser and Iā€™ve used independent shops for the same vehicle. Iā€˜ve also used the same dealer on my Tundra.

Honestly, there is no advantage going with the dealer. They all source the exact same parts, work with the same budget and hire the same caliber of repair person. The only difference is the dealer is likely $10-$20 more per hour for labor.

The dealer isnā€™t going to get anything special from Toyota that an independent canā€™t get. Most aftermarket parts are sourced from a third party.

The last time I was at the dealerā€™s body shop, they had to replace the after market rock slider among other things. When they called me to pick it up, they had forgotten to replace the rock slider and a rear door threshold. They had both of them in the shop (I picked it up the next day). They simply forgot.

I havenā€™t gone back to the dealer. I have gone back to my independent shop.
My concern is that I have some mechanical issues. From what I can see I think the rear axle is bent w some other things . I would rather do it at the dealership only downside is if they would let upgrade the rear bumper or limit me to using oem.

Sponsored

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Calibration isnā€™t a new thing or exclusive to dealers. There are lots of independent, mobile vendors who work with body shops to calibrate windshields, cameras, lights, etc., And, larger body shops likely have the equipment. My wifeā€™s Venza (with the cool, gas operated opaque sunroof) needed her rain sensor calibrated on the windshield. Our local shop has a mobile service that comes in regularly to do that work. It worked exactly as new when we picked it up.

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My concern is that I have some mechanical issues. From what I can see I think the rear axle is bent w some other things . I would rather do it at the dealership only downside is if they would let upgrade the rear bumper or limit me to using oem.
I think youā€™ve already made up your mind on dealer vs independent. No need to discuss further. Best of luck with the repairs!

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many people are leery of using a network shop. The advantage as i see it is that no matter where you are or move they warranty the reapir for the lifetime you own itā€¦. And ive seen some terrible repairsā€¦

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oof... good luck whichever route you take. There are ranger folks who have been waiting 6+ months for an axle..

With as far back as that one side is... I wonder how straight the frame/brackets are.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't let the installation of a rear bumper make your decision. Installing you your own bumper is not difficult and if worse comes to worse, You can get someone to install it afterwards for probably cheaper than what you would be paying the dealer.

Focus on getting your vehicle repaired the right way, with the right parts, possibly loners during the meantime? You worry about the rear bumper as a side note but not a deal breaker.
Sponsored