Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i understand this. We use seam sealer often at my work. This appears to be more than rust bleed. This looks very much like there is flex in the top plates, causing it rub the tubes and wearing the coating thin enough to get rust breakthrough. I'll be sending them back to look at them. I have a bunch of IAG stuff already so i like their stuff but these shouldn't be rusting already in any capacity.
Of course there's potential for flex, it not fully welded (I'll have to assume a design intent, to reduce distortion and possible that flex was also intended to avoid cracking as the vehicle flexes). This can happen from simply washing the vehicle, not getting it totally dry, and water seepage. I noticed this on a set of tube doors I have for my FJ40 and it's garage kept or under a cover all the time. This really is par for the course given the materials and the environment, and care should fall on the owner.
Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just went outside to check mine and there is not any rust on them.

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

30snack

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMHO, what you're seeing (rust bleed) is normal for that sort of steel exterior mod and they should not be replacing any of them. That's a dangerous can of worms for them to consider opening. Get yourself some of this stuff (below). I use it annually for my tractor mounted snow plow, and it works great. Periodic maintenance is required for painted items. Ford is not going to send out new Broncos because of corrosion, and neither should part vendors. Matte black touchup is also great for these things.

1657296716029.png
Your point is only true if the vendors make the consumer aware of the periodic maintenance responsibilities before purchase.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mounted mine with neoprene washers under the studs to prevent rust on the back of my steps. Unfortunately this sort of rust is inevitable, I’ll coat the backside with fluid film when I do the rest of the undercarriage.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Paint simply is not going to get into that tight of a crevice adequately, whether it be wet spray or powder.
As @GToddC5 mentioned, the only "fix" is to seam seal (front and back) that seam.
Or use a black RTV if you want to from the local parts store.

Good on IAG to stand behind it, but agree it is a dangerously thin line to tread warrantying these types of things.

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well according to IAG customer service they should NOT be doing this and absolutely want them back so I shipped both sets back today. I'm not sure why anyone here thinks it should be normal to have $600 steps start rusting after 3 weeks on a vehicle that stays in a garage every night an barely seen moisture.

Last edited:

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hey OP i also developed rust in the same spots this week. Oh well

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hey OP i also developed rust in the same spots this week. Oh well
Cool if you're fine with $600 steps rusting more power to you but I think it's ridiculous

Sponsored

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool if you're fine with $600 steps rusting more power to you but I think it's ridiculous
I think the rate at which they rusted is crazy but im not sure if there is any way to actually prevent rust on a product like this.

Did they say they will replace them? or know whats wrong? I would return them in a second if they could actually fix it but i dont think this is really fixable

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My raptor steps don't rust. They are all one piece and feel more like they used line x on them so they don't slip and feel indestructible with no seams. Hope this is just one off situation and not design flaw.

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the rate at which they rusted is crazy but im not sure if there is any way to actually prevent rust on a product like this.

Did they say they will replace them? or know whats wrong? I would return them in a second if they could actually fix it but i dont think this is really fixable
They want them back to inspect them and see if they can do something to improve them. I'm not mad at IAG and if I had them on the Bronco for a year and a MN winter I wouldn't be complaining but 3 weeks in mid summer is absurd. They think the coating is bad or got a bad batch of coating. They said they haven't had any sets do that

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My raptor steps don't rust. They are all one piece and feel more like they used line x on them so they don't slip and feel indestructible with no seams. Hope this is just one off situation and not design flaw.
I hope so too because I really like them. They are rugged and great gripping. I've actually bypassed them getting in and they caught my leg and scuffed the skin up pretty good. They are nice pieces but shouldn't be rusting already

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They want them back to inspect them and see if they can do something to improve them. I'm not mad at IAG and if I had them on the Bronco for a year and a MN winter I wouldn't be complaining but 3 weeks in mid summer is absurd. They think the coating is bad or got a bad batch of coating. They said they haven't had any sets do that
If i could guess it what another poster said , the design is flawed because the places where its rusting are the places that are the hardest for the "spray" to reach
Sponsored