FUB6G

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
3 weeks ago I took delivery of an F150 Lightning Platinum. It was always my idea to flip it for a couple of bucks. When I received the Private Offer letter, I essentially gave up on my 10/2020 reservation for a WT, 2-door, Lux, and figured that I would embrace the beautiful truck I had just picked up.

Well 2/2 I received my production email from Ford, build week 3/6. Since I had yet to drive a Bronco, (sat in and tinkered with a few on the dealers lot), I figured I'd take one of their used ones for a spin.

The Bronco is the polar opposite of the Lightning. The Lightning is quiet, unbelievably quick, spacious, and very nicely appointed for a truck. The Bronco was the counterpoint to each of these. Not in a negative way, just as an observation. The Bronco feels better to sit in, i.e. where I put my elbows and rest my hand on the gear shift, but honestly I couldn't tell you which one I prefer.

The misses says I only get one. She is preferring that I stick with the Lightning, I'm leaning towards the Bronco.

What would you all do if given the opportunity?
Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really depends on your needs too, if you wanted a big bed truck instead and intended to use it, you're gonna be hurting with that 2 DR space unless you have other options.

That said, given that its a 2 DR bronco, that would be my choice.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are 2 completely different vehicles with different end uses.
Large 4 door electric luxury pick up, vs
Small 2 door "lifestyle" off roader
What will be your primary usage? You have loads to haul, deserts to run, malls to crawl or just commuting to work?

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I reckon if you put this poll on the Lightening Truck forum, you would have a completely different result. You put this question on a Bronco-lovers forum; of course the result will say, Bronco.

Buy the Bronco; you know you want it.

OP
OP

FUB6G

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Really, this would just be a rig to enjoy. She has her car that she prefers. Our 3 kids are grown, and mostly it's just the 2 of us. I have a company rig that I drive daily as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FUB6G

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I reckon if you put this poll on the Lightening Truck forum, you would have a completely different result. You put this question on a Bronco-lovers forum; of course the result will say, Bronco.

Buy the Bronco; you know you want it.
Very true

Reactions: Cat

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those are two very different vehicles… so it depends on your needs.

The F-150 Lighting has a lot more day-to-day practicality and utility. It can carry a ton of stuff and it can tow a lot (albeit not very far without recharging, but it can do it).

The Bronco 2-door is very much a toy/fun vehicle and doesn’t have a lot of utility to it. Not a ton of storage, and can’t tow a lot. But it can go off-road better than the vast majority of vehicles on the market. If you want a toy to play around in, buy the Bronco.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco, lighting is just AIDS and a disgrace to the legendary namesake

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It depends on what a person feels their use case is.
Just driving around. Have a home where you can get a charger setup. A truck would be helpful.
Want to try to have fun offroad? Travel the less traveled road.
A Wildtrack is designed to be a toy a thing you can have fun with, not a daily driver. The Lightning is built to be a daily driver.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Lightning is a completely different vehicle that really doesn’t work for me as a towing solution so I’d bought a Bronco and kept our diesel for towing. The Bronco is a fun toy to me and about $40k less expensive than the extended range Lightning.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really, this would just be a rig to enjoy
Can't think of anything more boring to do on a weekend than driving around an electric vehicle for "fun."

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lightning is a full size Crew Cab F-150. My wife has one (2.7 SXT)

Honestly I really hate the damn thing. Royal pain to park, every parking lot is an adventure, and the seats are possibly the least comfortable Ford seats I have ever sat in.

The other issue with the Lightning is charging. Unless you have a significantly oversize garage, you will need to install an outside 240 VAC outlet. My Boss just passed on his Lightning (Lariate Extended range) when he realized that it would never fit in his garage. (he bought an electric Mercedes instead)

Bronco is much friendlier to drive than the F-150 due to the significantly shorter wheelbase, though the F-150 will be a lot smoother on the freeway for the same reason.

Unless you really need a tiny 5 /2 ft bed, I'd rather have a Bronco. The only pickups I have ever actually liked were the older F-250 short cab long beds.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't think of anything more boring to do on a weekend than driving around an electric vehicle for "fun."
Id rather watch paint dry or grass grow, more exciting than a Rolling Crematorium

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lightning is a full size Crew Cab F-150. My wife has one (2.7 SXT)

Honestly I really hate the damn thing. Royal pain to park, every parking lot is an adventure, and the seats are possibly the least comfortable Ford seats I have ever sat in.

The other issue with the Lightning is charging. Unless you have a significantly oversize garage, you will need to install an outside 240 VAC outlet. My Boss just passed on his Lightning (Lariate Extended range) when he realized that it would never fit in his garage. (he bought an electric Mercedes instead)

Bronco is much friendlier to drive than the F-150 due to the significantly shorter wheelbase, though the F-150 will be a lot smoother on the freeway for the same reason.

Unless you really need a tiny 5 /2 ft bed, I'd rather have a Bronco. The only pickups I have ever actually liked were the older F-250 short cab long beds.
Id take a Taco or Daddiator if I needed a pickup, they both come with stick
Sponsored