Sponsored

IFS and it's affect on Ground Clearance?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I follow @The Story Till Now and on some of his recent videos, Shaun has made comments on how his Badlands like to get hung up on the belly.

Thanks to a question I had, another member said that the frame of his Sasquatch was 15.5" from ground. My JK stock Rubicon is about 3" less than that (measured about at the B piller).

A typical Jeep Lift is 3.5" which would put my frame just slightly above a Sasquatch.

Now with that said, in Shaun's video, the Jeeps seem to be going over things while he bellies out.

So it just got me wondering, with a SFA, as your tire lift up over an obstical, I would think the Body/Belly has no choice but to also go up (at least by some amount). However in IFS, is that the same? I mean technically a tire could go up and the Body/Belly stay relatively the same height?

Guess I'm wondering why his Badlands kept bottoming while the jeeps were not...or were all the jeeps simply lifted alot higher than typical?
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watch his channel too. I think your observation about IFS vs SFA is correct, but also the other trucks are all on 37’s (at least). I think that Epic Adventure rig is on 39’s.
He’s not getting hung up by much. I think just swapping to 37’s with a 3” lift (which is what those other rigs have) will put him even with them.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
He's getting hung up because he's following the same line as rigs with bigger tires and higher lifts and expecting the same results. If you are running smaller tires like he is, you need to pick your lines more carefuly and pick your way through obstacles. 95% of his issues are bad driving/lack of skill.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think it’s lack of skill. (Well the one where he got hung up on that single boulder was a poor line). But his latest video was just a tough obstacle. He’s also used to driving a rig much more heavily modified.

I still wouldn’t say lack of skill, but maybe his expectations are a bit off based on what he’s driving vs. everyone else.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You see all these Jeep vs Bronco debates on how much better the Bronco is. Off road is where the Jeep overall has the upper hand. Just my opinion

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t understand how ifs would make any difference in “belly clearance”?? It all about tire size and lift in my mind. But yeah the Bronco has a lot more “low hanging fruit” than Jeep’s...

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lot has to do with limited up travel, solid axle flex and sliding on lower arms. Biggest benefit to the newer jeeps has been the link suspension it's like rock sliding rails. Next is coil suspension and most jeeps limit up travel to fit 37"+ tires. As a jeep flexes it essentially losses less belly clearance. As ifs flexes the front is stiffer making the rear do more and the sides of the vehicle drop more.

Bronco clearance is an advertising gimmick, basically say the lowest point is this number. Secret is placing undercarriage parts so they don't hit with Wrangler has been doing this for a while and Ford modding the ranger platform.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read my last trip report for my first hand experience with a stockish Bronco, a lifted Bronco, and a built Jeep taking the same trail.

TLDR version: with 4.5" more belly clearance than I had, the lifted Bronco kept up with the built Jeep and converted a Bronco hater. Meanwhile I struggled quite a bit in areas they both walked right through.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I watch his channel too. I think your observation about IFS vs SFA is correct, but also the other trucks are all on 37’s (at least). I think that Epic Adventure rig is on 39’s.
He’s not getting hung up by much. I think just swapping to 37’s with a 3” lift (which is what those other rigs have) will put him even with them.
Ah...i didn't know everyone was sporting 37"+ so yeah, add a bit for tires, the their higher lifts and I can see why he was hanging up.

My plan is to just get full belly skids and drag the Bronco over it ;)
Sponsored