First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok. I get it forester is great. Now is the bronco ground clearance bad ??? Is jeep much better ?
No the ground clearance is fine. The clearances between the wrangler and bronco all depend on trim level. For the most part they are very similar. The Sasquatch wins by a tiny bit. But put 35s on a rubicon and it wins. So it all depends. But the numbers on both vehicles are great for off roading.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would guess bottom of rear diff or bottom of crossmember below front diff. Rear diff would be totally tire size dependent front (due to IFS) could benefit from a lift as well. Those rear suspension mounts are probably 6-8 inches :( The fuel tank could use some help also.....

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That number is just the radius of the tires minus the radius of the pumpkin, pending there are no brackets hanging lower than said pumpkin.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok now I’m confused!
Ground clearance gains from tires are measured by changes in radius. 31, 32, 35 etc tires are expressed in diameter.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was always under the impression that they measured from the lowest frame rail point.

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/busted-the-truth-about-4x4-ground-clearances-and-manufacturer-claims/
That's my understanding as well...... ground to body/chassis. Usually a crossmember or oil pan.
Your link has this definition:
>>> RUNNING CLEARANCE – the distance from the surface on which an unladen vehicle is standing to the lowest point on the vehicle excluding unsprung mass.
<<<

'Sprung mass'' is everything held up by the springs..... chassis, body, etc.
'Unsprung mass' would be everything sitting on the ground..... tires, wheels, solid axles.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
never said 35s on a Fozzy, if I did my mistake.
I don’t think my dad’s driving is making his car break down or burn oil. I don’t really have anything against Subaru. I like their cars. I just don’t think they are much different than Ford, when it comes to reliability

You never said 35s, someone else misinterpreted what you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t think my dad’s driving is making his car break down or burn oil. I don’t really have anything against Subaru. I like their cars. I just don’t think they are much different than Ford, when it comes to reliability

You never said 35s, someone else misinterpreted what you said.
Subaru is consistently ranked anywhere from 1-8 in reliability in the industry while Ford is typically in the 20s.

and burning oil is a characteristic of flat fours.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's my understanding as well...... ground to body/chassis. Usually a crossmember or oil pan.
Your link has this definition:
>>> RUNNING CLEARANCE – the distance from the surface on which an unladen vehicle is standing to the lowest point on the vehicle excluding unsprung mass.
<<<

'Sprung mass'' is everything held up by the springs..... chassis, body, etc.
'Unsprung mass' would be everything sitting on the ground..... tires, wheels, solid axles.
that is running clearance, not ground clearance.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Subaru is consistently ranked anywhere from 1-8 in reliability in the industry while Ford is typically in the 20s.

and burning oil is a characteristic of flat fours.

I am sure you are right about the overall reliability. We tend to judge things like that by our own personal experience, and my dad's hasn't been perfect.

His burns excessive oil. The service center told him the same thing. But he started tracking it and reporting the results to them. They finally agreed that it was burning way too much oil. They had in the shop for two weeks and fixed. I'm not sure what the issue ended up being. the year before it had some transmission problems.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
that is running clearance, not ground clearance.
The article he was referencing that I posted quotes Ford (and other manufacturers) as saying they use running clearance interchangeably with ground clearance. Hence the reason, most "ground clearance" numbers are actually measured from the frame.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

11.5" up from the ground.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is a good article on the different clearance types. Ground clearance will count the axles. Running clearance doesn’t include anything unsprung.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/ca...4-manufacturers-clear-about-ground-clearance/
Ironically, this appears to be the same article I posted but on a different website ...

This is the part on Ford: So we asked, and Ford told us that “[when] we refer to ground clearance we refer to ‘Sprung Clearance’ i.e. anything above the springs like body etc. A differential would be classified as an unsprung clearance. The stated ground clearance for Ranger Raptor is 283mm, and would adhere to this definition.”
Sponsored