Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ironically, this appears to be the same article I posted but on a different website ...

This is the part on Ford: So we asked, and Ford told us that “[when] we refer to ground clearance we refer to ‘Sprung Clearance’ i.e. anything above the springs like body etc. A differential would be classified as an unsprung clearance. The stated ground clearance for Ranger Raptor is 283mm, and would adhere to this definition.”
So 11.5” spring clearance sounds like a marketing ploy. Bs. You go by unsprung clearance. That’s the REAL clearance distance. Period. Always has been...
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So 11.5” spring clearance sounds like a marketing ploy. Bs. You go by unsprung clearance. That’s the REAL clearance distance. Period. Always has been...
Apparently not. My Xterras ground clearance rating was measured from the frame rail. Right or wrong, it seems like that is a relatively common practice.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Apparently not. My Xterras ground clearance rating was measured from the frame rail. Right or wrong, it seems like that is a relatively common practice.
I’m sorry. Should’ve clarified. They USED to measure clearance from the pumpkin. Not something that’s meaningless. No one measures clearance from sprung except manufacturer. You’re not going mud riding in 11.5-12” of mud and make it through unless your differentials are not going to get stuck which would mean most likely water. Your pumpkin drags? You’re stuck. Have to call the wench.
Rock climbing? Your not going to go over 10” rocks or debris cause you’ll likely bust your oil pan or screw something up.

I’ll equate manufacturers to OSHA standards: Put on a full body harness with lanyards and climb up on a 6ft (old standard) or better yet 4ft (new standard) platform and jump off. Let me know the out come and if OSHA standards are realistic

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m sorry. Should’ve clarified. They USED to measure clearance from the pumpkin. Not something that’s meaningless. No one measures clearance from sprung except manufacturer. You’re not going mud riding in 11.5-12” of mud and make it through unless your differentials are not going to get stuck which would mean most likely water. Your pumpkin drags? You’re stuck. Have to call the wench.
Rock climbing? Your not going to go over 10” rocks or debris cause you’ll likely bust your oil pan or screw something up.

I’ll equate manufacturers to OSHA standards: Put on a full body harness with lanyards and climb up on a 6ft (old standard) or better yet 4ft (new standard) platform and jump off. Let me know the out come and if OSHA standards are realistic
Agreed. Not measuring uniformly and from the true lowest point of the vehicle muddles attempts to compare vehicles and is a misrepresentation. I have a feeling they've moved to this method because of independent suspension vehicles, where there is no rear pumpkin per se. It doesn't hurt that it makes those IRS vehicle look better.

I don't mud, but the first rule you learn wheeling is you always put your tire over the tallest object in your path. Doing so makes the clearance distinction relatively moot.

Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. Not measuring uniformly and from the true lowest point of the vehicle muddles attempts to compare vehicles and is a misrepresentation. I have a feeling they've moved to this method because of independent suspension vehicles, where there is no rear pumpkin per se. It doesn't hurt that it makes those IRS vehicle look better.

I don't mud, but the first rule you learn wheeling is you always put your tire over the tallest object in your path. Doing so makes the clearance distinction relatively moot.
I’ve not mud rode in yrs and if I do buy a Bronco which is probably an 85-90% chance I do? I’ll be like the 85% that buy this an never put it in 4wd

Bronco6Geo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Listen I’m not Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, but 11.5 with 35s, equals 8.5 for the Big Bend.

stock Subaru Forester is 8.7, with a very economical 2” lift, 10.7... less than an inch off a SAAAAAZZZZZQUAAAAAAATCCCCHHHH.

Tee hee...
It's quite apparent you are not Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting because you seem to think 3" bigger tires = 3" greater ground clearance, forgetting that the axle sits in the center (half way). Therefore, not considering lifts and other aspects of the suspension 3" bigger tires gives you 1.5" greater ground clearance, so the Big Bend would have 10" of clearance. In reality, I believe the Sasquatch package comes with a small lift and it comes with the advanced HOSS suspension, so the difference in ground clearance between the Sasquatch and a standard Big Bend is probably more than 1.5". It's probably better to compare the Big Bend to the Base (30") tires. The 4-door Base has 8.3" of gc so the Big Bend, Black Diamond and Out Banks, which all have the same suspension and 32" tires should have about 9.3" of gc.

Last edited:

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think the guy who posted 4 months ago and was banned, is going to respond to you quoting him.

:rolleyes:
Sponsored