Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Pardon the dirt! I didn't spray underneath it! :)

1. From the front
2. From the center looking toward the front
3. From the center looking toward the rear
4. From the rear (the blue must be a reflection from the flash - there's nothing blue under there)
Cool! Thanks! So, it looks like a skid over the t-case, and one coming back from the front bash plate to protect the sway bar mechanism and trans. The front bash plate comes with the bumper, and they all have the gas tank skid. Anything else?

Sponsored

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool! Thanks! So, it looks like a skid over the t-case, and one coming back from the front bash plate to protect the sway bar mechanism and trans. The front bash plate comes with the bumper, and they all have the gas tank skid. Anything else?
That's pretty much it! :)

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

looks like you may want to consider some more fabrication of skid plates to save the frame members. i guess maybe a little more recon of these trails may have been in order. some straightening, welding and maybe the application of something like a spray on bed liner might be a good idea...

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

looks like you may want to consider some more fabrication of skid plates to save the frame members. i guess maybe a little more recon of these trails may have been in order. some straightening, welding and maybe the application of something like a spray on bed liner might be a good idea...
Those are actually braces for the transmission crossmember between the frame rails. I wasn't aware earlier that they hung 1-1.5" lower than the skid plates, which seems a weird engineering decision.

For now, they'll be fine since they're not load bearing, just providing tortional stability to the transmission mount, which never impacted anything since it sits much higher. In the future, when I do decide to make a change, I'll probably be going to the aftermarket since I've already seen designs that address this issue.

I'm also going to show them to the team at the Off Roadeo next Saturday to let them know about it. It may be something Ford didn't even consider/isn't aware of.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That has to be great news to Ford that there were no development costs for the chassis!
I know! Especially when you're trying to tell us they spent 4-9 billion dollars developing it!

Sponsored

portland_lol

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i had a running joke with my son for weeks.

i asked him what do you do with a honda civic with a broken or bent skid plate?.

obv punchline was "take it for a drag" much like the punchline to the joke what to you do with a dog with no legs.

everytime i hit a bump or there was very uneven pavement heads would turn it was so loud and sparks would fly.

i lol'd for a couple of weeks until i fixed it.

using the car for flattening the snow, driving back and forth on a gravel driveway has it's pitfalls

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey, so I got under the Bronco this morning with a tape measure. Those K braces sit at about 10". The skid plates sit up about 11".

My skid plates look almost new. Those brackets took a beating. What a difference 1 inch makes.
Wow! So the 2.3L has at least an inch more ground clearance than the 2.7L? Nice!!

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis 3028B4A2-6CFA-4073-9FA5-7B8AABC1A9E4

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After seeing these pics of @ChrisD taking his Bronco on a rock crawling trail, and having another conversation about the four different basic Bronco chassis, I thought I'd post and see if we can get some undercarriage pics of 2.3L and 2.7L chassis. My understanding is there are 4 chassis, 2.3 2dr and 4dr, and 2.7 2dr and 4dr. The 2.7 has a K element in the chassis. Can some of you lucky folks who already have your Broncos show some undercarriage pics and tell us what you have?

Here is a pic of the undercarriage after a trail run. This really shouldn't be hard to modify in advance to improve the design, and to protect, but it sure appears that it's something to pay attention to. I think the 2.3's don't have these pieces.

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis 3028B4A2-6CFA-4073-9FA5-7B8AABC1A9E4
Those pictures looks like it is some kind of composite material molded over the metal braces verse strictly stamped steel. It has that over hanging lip that is at least an inch hanging down. As a rule in sheet metal working bends introduce strength, but I wonder if there is any structural gains with the overhanging edges, if there would be any strength lost in trimming it flush via angle grinder ;) and thus expediting the self clearing nature of this overhang ? At least it would be flat & look cleaner than that mess.:sneaky: Thoughts? :unsure:

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Those pictures looks like it is some kind of composite material molded over the metal braces verse strictly stamped steel. It has that over hanging lip that is at least an inch hanging down. As a rule in sheet metal working bends introduce strength, but I wonder if there is any structural gains with the overhanging edges, if there would be any strength lost in trimming it flush via angle grinder ;) and thus expediting the self clearing nature of this overhang ? At least it would be flat & look cleaner than that mess.:sneaky: Thoughts? :unsure:
It would be stronger and safer to fold it over. It would be a welded seam, either fully welded or spot welded, and you wouldn't want to trim back to the weld or it will break. Or, like someone said, lay a piece of metal in the recess and weld it in.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know! Especially when you're trying to tell us they spent 4-9 billion dollars developing it!
I was under the impression that the Bronco platform is the same as the next generation Ranger (2022? 2023?), not the current one. Between the Bronco and Ranger that'll include (at least) three wheelbases.
Sponsored