John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wonder if you can carry kayaks on just a half rack. Would be nice to transport kayaks on a half rack while the rest of the roof is removed
If there was a bar that attached to the mounts at the top of the windshield, and it could carry weight, then the front of the kayak would strap to that, and the rest to the half rack. Otherwise, the rack is 3' long and 4' wide FYI.
Sponsored

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How easy is it to remove the rear of the MIC hardtop? Or rather does adding the half rack increase the complexity of removing it? Seems like you must unbolt the side racks (if you have them). That’s the only additional step to removing the rear. Is that accurate?

looks great. The functionality I’m looking for.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How easy is it to remove the rear of the MIC hardtop? Or rather does adding the half rack increase the complexity of removing it? Seems like you must unbolt the side racks (if you have them). That’s the only additional step to removing the rear. Is that accurate?

looks great. The functionality I’m looking for.
I havent used the side racks. The bottom mounts for them go under the rear cap and remain in place. Once the bottom mounts are in place, you can take the side racks on and off at will, use one or both as you wish. And remove both to take off rear cap. What i dont know is what becomes of the two lower bracket mounts if you drive around with the cap off. I have the Skyrider softtop to install, and will add the lower TrailRax brackets at that time.

Last edited:

thebeav

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would love to see the half rack in a video. Even better, see what it looks like with the side panels and show taking off the whole roof. I plan on having the whole roof off most of the summer, except when I'm camping. I would love to know how easy it is to do this. I wish the full rack was easy to remove - I like the look of that much more. I'm not sure I like the look of the half rack just by the pictures.

Sponsored

GnarlGarl

Black Diamond
First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco SAS Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for the detailed review and post! Just purchased the TRMR Half Rack for the 2 door ! We will see how this goes... Planning to attach the Pelican BX90R. I've got too much into this to spring for the Pack Rax, so hoping the stability will be good enough for the Peli without. I will report back, Dimensions were really helpful OP!

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Am I the only person who thinks $700+ for a half rack is ludicrous? I'd really like to find a quality half-rack solution but for that kind of money- hard pass. I'm not picking on TrailRax - most of these are silly expensive including the RCI one that apparently makes the MIC sag in the middle.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Am I the only person who thinks $700+ for a half rack is ludicrous? I'd really like to find a quality half-rack solution but for that kind of money- hard pass. I'm not picking on TrailRax - most of these are silly expensive including the RCI one that apparently makes the MIC sag in the middle.
Just checked my cost. It's not cheap, I bought the rack itself first, was $765 with Bronco Nation discounts in August, 2022. I then bought the side wing/saddle racks for another $250ish. That makes $1,000 for the base system for the rear cap only. I dont feel cheated because it works, it's reliable, it stays on, built like a brick s*it house as Uncle used to say. Its well engineered, can remove parts and components. For me, nothing ludicrous about it with my use. The mid-panel fits well on the rack. Had the rack on since I first posted. No issues, no rattling, no loosening. Priceless.

I've since added the Hammerbuilt spare tire rear gate support, not for the tire, but as an additional mounting point that is strong and reliable. The various mounting brackets, cans etc are what adds the $$, in both systems, but they work, they dont break, so reliability is key. In these cases, you seem to get what you pay for. Photo from Corolla in May

20230509_125037.jpg

20230509_112815.jpg

Last edited:

sirvegetable

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love the functionality... I'm in the market for the same kind of thing. I just don't love the way any of these available 1/2 rack options look. Really want something more factory-looking (aka the fishing concept rack) from the likes of Thule or Yakima. Nice write up, though!
Same here however I have the factory roof rack installed. Does anyone have a recommendation for a half rack that would install on top of the factory roof rack?

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree. $1349 for a half rack with side mounts seems to be double what it should cost. And shipping adds to it more.

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 1692863063132

Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree. $1349 for a half rack with side mounts seems to be double what it should cost. And shipping adds to it more.

1692863063132.png
Not if have every created a product like a roof rack - the cost to design, engineer, source the materials, powder coating, packaging (which the engineering for packaging a product like this is substantial), staffing, benefits, etc. Oh, don't forget product liability insurance, which is substantial for this category.

It is about right.

I ordered the full length version due to some of the loads that I have to carry. My only issue (and as a retired industrial engineer / product developer I am quite picky) is that dispite all of the chest thumping about Made in USA Quality... The "Made in USA" screen on the rack is crooked. So much for stringent QA.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX IMG_1049

Last edited:

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! Two questions:

1. do you think this half rack could hold a 48" x 56" rooftop tent? It would obviously hang off the sides of the rack in either direction, but possibly still workable? My tent only weighs 110 lbs, so I'd just need to keep my personal weight under 190 lbs to slide in under the 300 pound static weigh limit. Currently weighing in at a svelte 183... 😁

2. Is it possible to easily convert the half-rack to the full rack later? I can't seem to find that info on their site.

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks great! Two questions:

1. do you think this half rack could hold a 48" W x 56" L rooftop tent? It would obviously hang off the front and back of the rack 10" in either direction, but possibly still workable? My tent only weighs 110 lbs, so I'd just need to keep my personal weight under 190 lbs to slide in under the 300 pound static weigh limit. Currently weighing in at a svelte 183... 😁

2. Is it possible to easily convert the half-rack to the full rack later? I can't seem to find that info on their site.

Thanks ahead of time!
My understanding of both your questions is "no" and "no", because I asked them as well when I first bought my half-rack August of 2022. The actual rack is 4' wide by 3' deep, but the attachment brackets are closer to 2' apart because of the overhangs. (See attached with my measurement guesses, its raining now). So I would say that thats too much stress on too narrow a mounting point . . . BUT . . . People are always stretching CAN and SHOULD with Broncos! (Look at the tires people are putting on without enough lift!) If you were to try that, you would need to install the side-racks (Pak-Rak) because they help distribute load to the car, improving weight capacity. Personally, I think that distributing 7' of bed over a 3' rack with 2' attachment points is too much leverage on both ends and could damage the MIC top . . .

With regard to conversion from half-rack to full-length rack, that would require an attachment point for joining, but that would affect load distribution at the joint. The joint would reduce lateral load bearing capacity. The full-length rack is one long piece of metal on each side (mfgr photo), fully sharing the front to back weight load between the windshield and the two rear-cap attachment points. So, if you want to have a half rack for driving open-top, you buy that half-rack. If you want a full roof-top tent, you buy a different rack for that. Its only money! At least, the side-saddle mounts can be used for both racks, and all are well-made! The side-saddle PakRax not only provide additional cargo mounts, but also increase load capacity. @TrailRax as a company has been very helpful to me, with my Skyrider install, helping with a piece of protective trim and answering questions.

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX Screenshot_20231012_112458_Gallery

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20231009_184324

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX SmartSelect_20231012_120039_Gallery

SmartSelect_20231012_122213_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding of both your questions is "no" and "no", because I asked them as well when I first bought my half-rack August of 2022. The actual rack is 4' wide by 3' deep, but the attachment brackets are closer to 2' apart because of the overhangs. (See attached with my measurement guesses, its raining now). So I would say that thats too much stress on too narrow a mounting point . . . BUT . . . People are always stretching CAN and SHOULD with Broncos! (Look at the tires people are putting on without enough lift!) If you were to try that, you would need to install the side-racks (Pak-Rak) because they help distribute load to the car, improving weight capacity. Personally, I think that distributing 7' of bed over a 3' rack is too much leverage on both ends and could damage the top . . .

With regard to conversion from half-rack to full-length rack, that would require an attachment point for joining, but that would affect load distribution at the joint. The joint would reduce lateral load bearing capacity. The full-length rack is, I believe, one long piece of metal on each side, fully sharing the front to back weight load between the windshield and the two rear-cap attachment points. So, if you want to have a half rack for driving open-top, you buy that half-rack. If you want a full roof-top tent, you buy a different rack for that. Its only money! At least, the side-saddle mounts can be used for both racks, and all are well-made! The side-saddles not only provide additional cargo mounts, but also increase load capacity. @TrailRax as a company has been very helpful to me, with my Skyrider install, helping with a piece of protective trim and questions.

Screenshot_20231012_112458_Gallery.jpg

20231009_184324.jpg

SmartSelect_20231012_120039_Gallery.jpg
Excellent info, sir! I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm sad to hear that the rack is less "modular" than I had hoped, but otherwise still looks like a solid product.

As for the tent, it wouldn't need to hold 7' of tent on the 3' of bars. The tent would open off to the side of the vehicle, so the full 48" width would be leveraged for that purpose. The 22" distance between crossbars is concerning, though, as my tent recommends at least 32". Pretty much a deal-breaker there.

Damn, oh well. This solution was my only hope of keeping the ability to remove the whole top AND carry a tent. It looks like I'll have to decide between a full rack (and never getting fully naked) and a trailer (which is always a PITA to pull around everywhere).

Still, though, I REALLY appreciate the thorough response. Your setup looks absolutely killer with the added Skyrider!

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Excellent info, sir! I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm sad to hear that the rack is less "modular" than I had hoped, but otherwise still looks like a solid product.

As for the tent, it wouldn't need to hold 7' of tent on the 3' of bars. The tent would open off to the side of the vehicle, so the full 48" width would be leveraged for that purpose. The 22" distance between crossbars is concerning, though, as my tent recommends at least 32". Pretty much a deal-breaker there.

Damn, oh well. This solution was my only hope of keeping the ability to remove the whole top AND carry a tent. It looks like I'll have to decide between a full rack (and never getting fully naked) and a trailer (which is always a PITA to pull around everywhere).

Still, though, I REALLY appreciate the thorough response. Your setup looks absolutely killer with the added Skyrider!
Ok, I didnt realize the tent opened to the side! So since its a matter of inches, and I was guessing the overhangs, the rain stopped and i went out and measured the overhang. You have about 26.5" of span from the outer edge of the two brackets. And if the tent opens off to the side, and its only 48" wide, thats 6" overhang front and back of the rack. It you used the side saddles for additional capacity . . . Email @TrailRax and ask the weight capacity of the half-rack with the PakRax side-brackets installed. The downside is no place to put the mid-panel (I put mine on the half-rack). UPDATE We now know TrailRax does not recommend putting tents on the Half-Rack, and the tent mfgr says you need 32" span between mounting brackets, not 26.5, so the official answer is no!. . . Your tent would also prevent the 2row skyrider from opening, but the one-row sunrider would work great in that application, perhaps.

Oh well! Whats the name of your tent?

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX Screenshot_20231012_135410_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited: