John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, at first, I presumed the Bronco would have an oil life monitoring system and since nothing suggested getting oil changed I actually had over 7500 miles before first oil change 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I get a notification that the oil life monitoring is suggesting it might be time to schedule an oil change . After 2 weeks and 500 miles? Can this be correct? I highly doubt that the oil would need changed sfter only 500 adfitional miles with no change in driving habits

My first thought is that tge dealer failed to reset something 2 weeks ago. Anyone else experience this short interval
Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, at first, I presumed the Bronco would have an oil life monitoring system and since nothing suggested getting oil changed I actually had over 7500 miles before first oil change 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I get a notification that the oil life monitoring is suggesting it might be time to schedule an oil change . After 2 weeks and 500 miles? Can this be correct? I highly doubt that the oil would need changed sfter only 500 adfitional miles with no change in driving habits

My first thought is that tge dealer failed to reset something 2 weeks ago. Anyone else experience this short interval
Do you think it's performing an oil analysis to see when it breaks down and is the optimal time to change your oil? Especially without a catch can - First oil change is 1k miles. Hard stop. Next oil change is 4k miles later. Hard stop. Every oil change after is 5k miles on the dot. Hard stop.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think it just monitors run time, number of starts, idle time, etc., but that is a guess on my part.

I agree that they probably didn't reset it.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If it's like other Ford products I've owned recently (a '18 Edge and a '20 Explorer), you can access the remaining oil life as a % through the dash menus and reset yourself quite easily.

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interestingly, when I go the Ford Pass app to check the Oil Life Remaining, it tells me 0% and we have a whopping 62 miles on it. So, the app doesn't appear to be getting that data (but gets tire pressure and everything else). I haven't checked what the in car monitor says for oil life.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
BMW's system does actually have an oil analysis sensor that uses a capacitor to determine the level of oil contamination. It is a technique adapted from the machine tool manufacturing industry that measures oil contamination levels in machine tools.

The capacitor uses the engine oil as the dielectric in the capacitor. The system measures the capacitance of the dielectric against a standard for oil contamination. That data, along with other data such as fuel consumption, cold start count, engine start count, revolutions counts, mileage, and time, etc. are used to determine the OCI.
Sure. I wouldn't trust it in a BMW either.

This is a Ford.

YMMV but I will change to the above schedule and I will sleep easy at night.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it just monitors run time, number of starts, idle time, etc., but that is a guess on my part.

I agree that they probably didn't reset it.

Which brings up a question I don't think I've seen posted yet.
With all the bells and whistles Ford has made available has anyone found an "hours" of operation reading display?
A mileage and hrs paired meter would be ideal.

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Bronco monitors how the Bronco is being driven and calculates engine oil life. Under normal driving, it shouldn't come on until 7,500-10,000 miles as the Bronco requires a synthetic blend oil. If you grew up back in the days of 2,500-5,000 mile oil changes it seems like a lot but both engine and oil technology have come a long way since the 70s and 80s.

Sounds like the tech forgot to reset the Engine Oil Change Reminder. I've attached two screen shots from the Owner's Manual, which can be downloaded for free at this link.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 6.39.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 6.39.45 AM.png

OP
OP
JohnnyBronco

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BMW's system does actually have an oil analysis sensor that uses a capacitor to determine the level of oil contamination. It is a technique adapted from the machine tool manufacturing industry that measures oil contamination levels in machine tools.

The capacitor uses the engine oil as the dielectric in the capacitor. The system measures the capacitance of the dielectric against a standard for oil contamination. That data, along with other data such as fuel consumption, cold start count, engine start count, revolutions counts, mileage, and time, etc. are used to determine the OCI.
BMW also incorporates a 1 quart low warning and level sensor since there is no dipstick

Sponsored

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's like other Ford products I've owned recently (a '18 Edge and a '20 Explorer), you can access the remaining oil life as a % through the dash menus and reset yourself quite easily.

Dash menu wish list

Ford Bronco Intelligent oil life monitor not so intelligent 1643211219565

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup, they probably forgot to reset it.
The question now is, did they also forget to change the oil/filter?

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I changed my oil several days ago and reset the oil life minder in the car.

FordPass app still hasn’t updated and shows my oil life at 50%, as it did before I changed the oil and reset the oil minder.

Annoying. I’ve re-checked the vehicle and it reports 100%. Not sure how long it takes to sync or if this is something that’s just broken for now.

Looks like SYNC isn’t a particularly apt name

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not a tractor... ;)

But I've never seen a diagnostic system that reads total hours. Would be great for service vehicles, like police cars.
My F-350 has an hour meter. I can't remember if my F-150 did but I think so.

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don’t drive a lot I took delivery 10/21

A1F83133-8F39-43F0-B85D-01E6367C8016.jpeg