Sponsored

Is anyone concerned about the 10-Speed Auto?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ive been able to break both 3 and 4 speed autos in the past. A 10 spd has atleast 6 or 7 more things to fail. Heat is usually the enemy and with only turbo motors available sounds iffy to me. My 96 is limping along fine as long as I dont tow anything into the upcountry or try to take it about 5000ft after that is starts pissing fluid like gonorrhea. Seals up fine at lower altitudes just gotta get it in the trans shop one day here for a new front seal, maybe a pump, and a fresh cooler.
that’s a big reason why ford and GM teamed up to make their new Transmissions. FWD 8/9 speed and RWD 10 speed. 2x the RND and that should help.

keep in mind there are MILLIONS of 10 speed autos out now. And there is a very small percentage of complaints about the 10 speed.
Sponsored

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 06 f150 has a 4-Speed Auto, I am getting the manual. Yes it's unproven but its saving money on the sticker price so I can get more fancy options, the 10-speed honestly doesn't sound bad even the bad ones don't sound that bad, but that's kinda always the risk especially with buying year one vehicle

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But I am also aware of recalls on the manual transmission of the mustang and focus...
Which manual trans on the Focus was recalled? They’ve had tons of problems with their DCT, but none with the manual.

I really doubt they would manufacture the transmission, such a critical part for an American vehicle, in China.
Hoo boy, let me tell you about the MT-82. A critical part in a critical new generation in a critical American vehicle.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Which manual trans on the Focus was recalled? They’ve had tons of problems with their DCT, but none with the manual.

Hoo boy, let me tell you about the MT-82. A critical part in a critical new generation in a critical American vehicle.
few complaints on the manual focus. 5 speed.
but most are related to the clutch. That it feels like it’s vibrating or shaking while engaging.

not badly just not as smooth as you would expect.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

10 is too many speeds in the 150, IMO...
In an off roader, with manually selectable gears, and 4.7 axles, it'll be awesome!
Warranty and recalls will cover the rest.
I'm hoping you can manually select and lock the gear you need at will.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
I see your point but counter:
1. Wasn't that used only in the GTs , not the 350 and 500. The GT could be considered the base performance model, that has been around and doesn't have the hype-risk ratio that the bronco does.
2. Hopefully they learnt their lesson lol ..

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see your point but counter:
1. Wasn't that used only in the GTs , not the 350 and 500. The GT could be considered the base performance model, that has been around and doesn't have the hype-risk ratio that the bronco does.
The MT-82 is used in the 2011-up V6, 4cyl, and GT. There's no scenario where those vehicles and their performance aren't important to Ford. They make up the vast, vast majority of Mustang sales and the success of the brand relies on those vehicles being good vehicles.

The GT500 used the TR-6060, which was designed to hold much more power than the MT-82. The GT350 (and the new Mach 1) use the TR-3160, which isn't quite as strong as the TR-6060, but it's designed to be lightweight and to shift well at high RPMs, something the TR-6060 isn't known for.

2. Hopefully they learnt their lesson lol ..
The lesson is not "don't make anything in China" as most people think. You can get quality out of China, but you'll pay for it, almost as much as you'll pay in the US. Everybody loves to point at the country of assembly as the primary cause of the MT82 issues, but ignores what Ford designed as far as the shifter assembly, the clutch master diameter, the shift fork metallurgy, and more.

Last edited:

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
The MT-82 is used in the 2011-up V6, 4cyl, and GT. There's no scenario where those vehicles and their performance aren't important to Ford. They make up the vast, vast majority of Mustang sales and the success of the brand relies on those vehicles being good vehicles.

The GT500 used the TR-6060, which was designed to hold much more power than the MT-82. The GT350 (and the new Mach 1) use the TR-3160, which isn't quite as strong as the TR-6060, but it's designed to be lightweight and to shift well at high RPMs, something the TR-6060 isn't known for.

The lesson is not "don't make anything in China" as most people think. You can get quality out of China, but you'll pay for it, almost as much as you'll pay in the US. Everybody loves to point at the country of assembly as the primary cause of the MT82 issues, but ignores what Ford designed as far as the shifter assembly, the clutch master diameter, the shift ford metallurgy, and more.
Today I learned, appreciate the info. Also agree, a good amount of manufacturing is completed with specs created by local engineers. Blame is often shared.

Sponsored

unixadm

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 FX4, 19 Audi RS3, 20 Miata Club
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a 17 Camaro ZL1 with the 10-speed automatic and it was flawless. I mean seriously, it was amazing across the board and don't use the word amazing often. I bought my current 2018 F150 3.5L FX4 with the 10R80 and honestly, the transmission is the worst part of the truck. I tried to get them to flash mine but it came after the TSB date. Some issues I have:
  • Shift flare when cold.
  • Harsh or clunky shifts when cold.
  • Hard engagement into D when hot. This happens randomly but it will slam into gear. For example, sitting in a drive-thru waiting. I'll shift the truck into N and when I shift into D, BOOM. I guess it's the hidden neutral drop drive mode.
  • Rumble strip vibration when decelerating to a stop which occurs around 21->13 MPH. Shifting into neutral eliminates the vibration completely. Could be driveline related.
In general, I've found the transmission is fine in any gear above 5th. It's clunky and especially so when cold in gears 1-4. Resetting the adaptive learning does little to help. Compared to the ZF 8-speed into various FCA products, the 10-speed shifts like crap. Compared to the 10-speed in the ZL1, it shifts like complete hot garbage. I'm going to take it in within the next few weeks to see if they'll flash it and look into the vibration. I honestly feel like there might be something more than a flash issue wrong with my transmission, like fluid level or something in the valve body.

Hoping the Bronco will be better. I'm trading the F150 for the Bronco 4-Door FE, so my fingers are going to be crossed. How GM got it so right and Ford got it so wrong just blows my mind.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a 17 Camaro ZL1 with the 10-speed automatic and it was flawless. I mean seriously, it was amazing across the board and don't use the word amazing often. I bought my current 2018 F150 3.5L FX4 with the 10R80 and honestly, the transmission is the worst part of the truck. I tried to get them to flash mine but it came after the TSB date. Some issues I have:
  • Shift flare when cold.
  • Hard engagement into D when hot. This happens randomly but it will slam into gear. For example, sitting in a drive-thru waiting. I'll shift the truck into N and when I shift into D, BOOM. I guess it's the hidden neutral drop drive mode.
  • Rumble strip vibration when decelerating to a stop which occurs around 21->13 MPH. Shifting into neutral eliminates the vibration completely. Could be driveline related.
In general, I've found the transmission is fine in any gear above 5th. It's clunky and especially so when cold in gears 1-4. Resetting the adaptive learning does little to help. Compared to the ZF 8-speed into various FCA products, the 10-speed shifts like crap. Compared to the 10-speed in the ZL1, it shifts like complete hot garbage. I'm going to take it in within the next few weeks to see if they'll flash it and look into the vibration. I honestly feel like there might be something more than a flash issue wrong with my transmission, like fluid level or something in the valve body.

Hoping the Bronco will be better. I'm trading the F150 for the Bronco 4-Door FE, so my fingers are going to be crossed. How GM got it so right and Ford got it so wrong just blows my mind.
it’s all software. Hardware on the Gm and ford are the same for the most part.
Hence why the major recall was for a software update. Hope they have a better software version for bronco. I imagine they do.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve got the 10 speed in my personal 3.5 2018 F150, and my 2018 work 5.0 F150. Love this transmission, and no issues for me so far... (furiously knocks on wood)
Could you provide us with an estimated mileage you have on those two vehicles?

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
  • Shift flare when cold.

Please keep us updated on your journey in getting that 10 speed dialed in.

unixadm

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 FX4, 19 Audi RS3, 20 Miata Club
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Please keep us updated on your journey in getting that 10 speed dialed in.
For sure. My truck only has 5,200 miles on it but its done all this since day one.
Sponsored