Sponsored

Is anyone else considering a Bronco that is overkill for your daily use...but looks so cool you want to buy it anyway?

CycloneGT500

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From the time I decided to purchase a Bronco, I was dead set on buying a Big Bend. I knew I would never need a Sasquatch or any of the other higher trim models because I never planned on doing any serious off-roading. I was pretty confident that the Big Bend would handle anything I threw at it. If I was able to order my Bronco about three weeks ago, I would've likely settled on the Big Bend and called it a day.

But..the more time that passes, the more I keep thinking about how major of a purchase this is and if I'm going to spend all of this money, do I really want to look back and wish I would've added an accessory here or a package there? So...I started thinking about the Black Diamond. But, the lack of signature LED lighting and High/Lux package availability soon led me to the Outer Banks. While the Outer Banks allows me to get all of the gadgets I'd like along with the signature lighting, I don't like the way the interior, fenders, and stock tires look. Getting a Wildtrack is out of the question because I know for a fact that I will never need a Sasquatch...no matter how badass it looks. All of this leads me to the Badlands.

I've configured a Badlands on B&P that ticks off every single thing on my wishlist. I have my Lux package features, 2.7 engine, 4A, MGV, washout floors...and it looks dope as hell. I'm even leaning heavily on getting a 2-door even though I still have my family to think about. But, I can't shake the feeling that if I pull the trigger, I might be wasting money on things I may never need (ex: front locker, sway bar disconnect, bash plate, etc.), or I may regret not getting a 4-door for the space. I know that I need to ignore being sensible and just buy what I want. I just wanna know if anyone else is in a similar boat. I'd be interested in hearing how you're justifying your purchase...no matter the reason.
I have gone just about the same route. Big Bend has the nice grill and you can get the locker rear end. Got it reasonably priced out but I can go Sasquatch base for the same money and get everything but the grill. Sasquatch is more than I need and I will at some time put more streetable tires on it but at the end of the day I don't want to hear everyone asking "Is it a Sasquatch?" and wishing I had pulled the trigger - especially someday down the road when I get rid of it. A Base sasquatch is hands down the best bang for the buck. (IMO)
Sponsored

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh this is soooo much overkill for me personally. I do 80 miles a day. What makes sense, is probably an electric car. And for the price, I could probably do fine with a Tesla or something. Or just keep my current paid off car. But... the Bronco is beyond cool. On top of that, as a day one reservation there will be all of a dozen on the road when I get mine, tops. I have a different type of disorder. Whereas some people are always trying to "keep up with the Jones's'", I need to BE the Jones's! I've been through hurricane and storms where you are stuck if you don't have a capable 4x4 vehicle. And there are about 16,000 Jeeps around here! No way will I join the group... noooowww, having the opportunity to have something capable, and something nobody else has. Well, sign me up. I'll drop 50k on a Wildtrak and drive it happily every day for the foreseeable future.

Also, I'll be ready for the real apocalypse coming!

Last edited:

BdubBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD SQUATCH
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine won’t fit either?. Just a few inches, but I’m still getting Squatch!

someone said to air down to get into the garage lol. Would work but kind of inconvenient
I was initially worried about width and didn’t give height a second thought. Our Yukon XL is 75” and fits. If a Bronco Base is 73” with the soft top, will Sasquatch add 2” or more? The plan is for this BD to live a very cushy life. If it doesn’t fit in the garage, we have a problem!

389880F2-EB39-488E-A11D-31DC4AEB37D2.jpeg

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is exactly me. I'm usually very practical and frugal and logical. I keep my cars and electronics until they break down. I price compare and research for months before major purchases. I struggle with paying for things I don't need, even if I know they'll bring me immense enjoyment.

But this time is different. 2020 has been a shitty year, very little to look forward to, no vacations, no visiting family, etc. The Bronco for me is a bright spot (hmmm, maybe that's why I'm so in love with Cyber Orange). I don't NEED a Bronco, but I do need something more capable than my Escape for dispersed camping, mountain roads, etc. (had a few close calls pushing the Escape too hard). A Big Bend would do just fine but I WANT A BADLANDS. Heart over head this time.

That said, I can rationalize the extra spend on the BL with the cost savings of no vacations, rarely eating out, etc. this year and probably next year too. And this past year has catalyzed an excitement in me to exercise my freedoms and explore our great country by land. And my new Bronco will be my trusty steed, ready for any terrain I'm brave enough to endeavor. I can't wait for my 2 door Badlands Cyber Orange, 2.7/auto with lux!
Posts like this make me glad that I posted my question. I couldn't have said it better myself.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I live in South Florida. No hills, no mountains, roads don't curve, no mud, etc. I justify maxing out the Bronco, because I'm going to be dead soon...maybe only 19 years to live...and I don't want to be on my death bed, leaving all the money I saved to my wife and kids, and thinking I shoulda
coulda spent 5 lousy grand on Sasquatch, and now it's too late. Last breath. GONE.
Hell yeah man. Live your life. I wish i could like this post more than one F’ing time.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have gone just about the same route. Big Bend has the nice grill and you can get the locker rear end. Got it reasonably priced out but I can go Sasquatch base for the same money and get everything but the grill. Sasquatch is more than I need and I will at some time put more streetable tires on it but at the end of the day I don't want to hear everyone asking "Is it a Sasquatch?" and wishing I had pulled the trigger - especially someday down the road when I get rid of it. A Base sasquatch is hands down the best bang for the buck. (IMO)
Thats me with the 2.7
I considered not getting it but then I had two friends hyped that I was getting the Bronco on separate occasions, ask "you're getting the bigger engine right?!?"

Go big or go home

Last edited:

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My very frugal wife earlier this year encouraged me to sell my older 2002 motorcycle and get a new bike. I think she finally realizes we can afford most stuff we want and life is moving by. She is now in her early 50s, and I'm in my mid-50s. I LOVE my new bike.

We had a similar discussion with the Bronco. Her argument was, "You have worked hard and have the right to get something just for the fun of it. We don't lack anything, and we don't have any real debt. Spending a little more won't hurt us. But if spending more means you're more content with it, then spend whatever you need to spend to get the one you want."

Like me, she fell in love the minute she saw the Bronco. We had been flirting with the idea of a Wrangler for a little bit, but the Wrangler always seemed too compromised for me. The Bronco ticks pretty much all the right boxes. So my build is a Badlands with the 2.7L, lux package, upgraded wheels, and a few other tidbits.

Happy wife, happy life...... ;-)

Bike, b/c, well, it's cool:

Ford Bronco Is anyone else considering a Bronco that is overkill for your daily use...but looks so cool you want to buy it anyway? Angel at Kenan

My current Bronco Badlands build:

Ford Bronco Is anyone else considering a Bronco that is overkill for your daily use...but looks so cool you want to buy it anyway? Bronco Build

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is an age-old question. Most people could do just fine with "basic transportation" like a Honda Civic. But what's the fun in that?

The Bronco is a toy.

The answer to your question is how much you value your toys.

I know guys that drive economical cars, but have golf memberships because golf is what is important to them, so they spend their "toy money" on golf.

If you are a car/truck enthusiast, like me, then you spend extra for fun cars instead of the Honda Civic.

No right or wrong answer for your personal situation.
I totally agree. It's a Man Toy. I am retired, no kids (not leaving all my e$tate to some charity). I have a Charger Daytona (2006) toy/show car, motorcycle....the Bronco will be added to the toy box! It's freaking cool, will be fun to drive and will be a head turner for others to enjoy. I'm not climbing rocks or mountains....it will hit some trails (good ones), will enter it in some car shows...my wife and I are getting it.....just for fun! Besides, we are "preppers" and it is a good addition for that and will also tow behind my motorhome (bonus points).

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I totally agree. It's a Man Toy. I am retired, no kids (not leaving all my e$tate to some charity). I have a Charger Daytona (2006) toy/show car, motorcycle....the Bronco will be added to the toy box! It's freaking cool, will be fun to drive and will be a head turner for others to enjoy. I'm not climbing rocks or mountains....it will hit some trails (good ones), will enter it in some car shows...my wife and I are getting it.....just for fun! Besides, we are "preppers" and it is a good addition for that and will also tow behind my motorhome (bonus points).
When I considered placing a Reservation....I approached "the wife". She said, "in High School I always wanted a Bronco"........well......the deal was sealed!

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd like to know more about the Warthog before making my decision.

Especially if Ford plans on punting my reservation to 22 MY.

No real interest in "pre-ordering" something so far away--shit, why even bother with my reservation at that point.

Sponsored

Lolife

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gotta say that most of us could get away with Ford Escape or a small car.... but MERICA! We get what we want, that's why we have big houses and not appartments, we drive hot rodded Mustangs and WRX's.... we have smart phones,, not flip phones....we live the way we WANT because we are free to be individuals, not clones. I will be overdoing it... Badlands Lux... I've owned 3 Jeeps 2 of which were Rubicons.... 99% of my driving is on the road.... but that 1% can get hairy and I want the confidence, fun and style.

Bronco1951

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape / 2 door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. Cyber orange 2 or 4 door. Haven't flipped the coin yet. Sasquatch package, 2.7L, tube doors, Roast interior, modular top. Might never see dirt, ...but maybe. Just a cool toy to tool around in.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My current daily is a 2015 WRX STi my 20 minute commute to the office does not include a rally stage but..

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine won’t fit either?. Just a few inches, but I’m still getting Squatch!

someone said to air down to get into the garage lol. Would work but kind of inconvenient
Driveway Queens LOL

KobeStyle

Outer Banks
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have two daughters myself so I am familiar with the struggle. Luckily, my oldest will be 23 in a month and my youngest is 17. Each daughter has their own car. You are spot on when you talk about the space and convenience advantages the 4-door has over the 2-door. But man...the 2-door is so damn sexy. My budget is flexible enough to accommodate a 4-door BL. But, I don't know if I can pass up on that 2-door stance.

If the BB could get signature tail lights and at least the High package, I'd probably get one. If the BD could get signature lights, I probably would get one. If the OBX had a better interior and tires, I probably would get one (I probably would even get over the body-colored flares). But, none of the above is true and everything that I'd miss in those models is important to me.

So...I'm gonna rock my 2-door Badlands with pride. If it ever bothers me that I'm under utilizing my Bronco, I'll either hit a trail or plow over whoever is in front of me in the McDonald's drive-thru line. ?
Does not having sport mode in BL bug you?
Sponsored