Sponsored

Is buying the offrodeo damage waiver good idea?

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Heading to offrodeo in Moab in a few weeks and I’m wondering if I should buy the $75 damage waiver. From what I’m reading it only covers up to $3500.

The entire reason for offrodeo to even exist is to take their Broncos through pretty rough terrain…supervised.

Is the waiver to cover the weak steering gear?
Sponsored

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I got it for just some peace of mind since myself and my daughter never been off-roading before. Offroadeo here in NH said they don't see damage much but has happened.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I attended the New Hampshire off rodeo. The Bronco never goes over 15 mph except when driving through the stone parking lot while returning to base. Even then you only do 20 mph. As a pure novice there were parts of the trails that were “ concerning” to put it mildly. Then again, climbing over boulders and rocks while jeopardizing the integrity of your vehicle has no appeal to me. Now if there was an off rodeo specializing in high speed desert running, well count me in. ( if attendance was free lol)I bought the insurance and it gave me a piece of mind as I drove the trails. BTW, bumping into a tree trunk appeared to be the biggest cause for concern when applied to damage possibilities in NH.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went to Austin a couple of years ago and didn't really see where you could get into much trouble. That being said, $75 is cheap peace of mind for if you turned the wheels too much and got against a tree or rock. Note, they did an inspection and had a sign off form for the end of the day when I went. Like all insurance, you hope you never use it.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Covering your ass these days is never a bad idea.
That said, we never got it doing the Moab offroadeo. But then I don’t always make the best choices, but it turned out ok.

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I chose not to buy it, and many don't. The general thought is that as long you follow directions you should be fine. If you decide to get dumb....well....

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you do exactly as they say you don't need it. No matter how hairy it looks. But if you aren't swell on following directions you might want to plop down the $75.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to Austin and didn't get it. I asked our guide how many Bronco's had been damaged, she said in two years, none. You gotta realize they don't want you to damage their Broncos, so they're pretty conservative.

If you've been off roading a few times and have done >= 3/10s and feel comfortable, I'd say not needed, but if you're worried about it, it's not that expensive, either.

Last edited:

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The lead guy in Nevada basically told everyone that they didn't need it without actually saying it. Some had already prepaid for it and kept it.

Then later in the day this happened....

Ford Bronco Is buying the offrodeo damage waiver good idea? 12295

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I got it only because then I wasn't going to worry about anything, some of the exterior parts on a bronco are excessively expensive.

Sponsored

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The lead guy in Nevada basically told everyone that they didn't need it without actually saying it. Some had already prepaid for it and kept it.

Then later in the day this happened....

Ford Bronco Is buying the offrodeo damage waiver good idea? 12295
Wow.

Hm. I don't remember there being a freaking Weighted Companion Cube in the middle of the trail at the Nevada Off-Roadeo. 😄

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went to Austin and didn't get it. I asked our guide how many Bronco's had been damaged, she said in two years, none. You gotta realize they don't want you to damage their Broncos, so they're pretty conservative.
When I was there in 22, they said that a guy sent it on the fast course extra hard on the 2nd jump and destroyed the suspension, blew air bags etc. They took the 2nd jump out and smoothed out the course a bit after that event apparently. My group had "Lucky Luke", so take that for what you will. He did say they have only used the winch once because they were worried about a guy going too far over, and of course Goodyear Hill was so named because it was the first time they got a flat on the trail and it claimed a "Goodyear tire".

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was there in 22, they said that a guy sent it on the fast course extra hard on the 2nd jump and destroyed the suspension, blew air bags etc. They took the 2nd jump out and smoothed out the course a bit after that event apparently. My group had "Lucky Luke", so take that for what you will. He did say they have only used the winch once because they were worried about a guy going too far over, and of course Goodyear Hill was so named because it was the first time they got a flat on the trail and it claimed a "Goodyear tire".
Hmm, interesting. I had Ace, whose husband is the manager of the park. I wonder if that was one of the non-VIN test models they were using back then? They talked about those, but they'd already sent them to storage waiting for the crusher. Maybe she wasn't counting that, but who knows. We didn't do a Goodyear Hill, but did do Texas 2-Step.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow.

Hm. I don't remember there being a freaking Weighted Companion Cube in the middle of the trail at the Nevada Off-Roadeo. 😄
The guides were up the hill helping others through a tough spot. They had just radioed to bronco 1 to stop and wait for the rest of the group to catch up. A minute or two later we heard what sounded like a gunshot (curtain side airbags went off). Then heard over the radio, "Umm we have a problem up here, bronco two just rolled over." We were in bronco 6, so we didn't see it happen. No one was hurt, the wife (passenger) seemed pretty shook up. They had the option to continue in another vehicle, but they chose to go home. We had to turn around on the trail and we left the bronco. They went back while we were eating dinner to start the recovery process.

According to the guide (Diego), that rock/boulder had not previously been there. Maybe the rain earlier that week, moved it? He was quite surprised to hear about the rollover, because they had just passed the tight spot.

I still wouldn't have paid the $75 for the insurance. It was the first and only rollover at the Nevada location, I'm not sure about the others.

Lock

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went to the NH offroadeo and got the insurance. Some parts of the trails are very narrow, with trees very close to the trail. I would have ripped off the rear passenger side fender flare if the instructor (who was riding with me) hadn’t stopped me. A few trucks later, someone did rip off the fender flare. There was also scratches and a dent on the door.
Sponsored