Sponsored

is catch can needed on 2.3L? (worth the $)

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:
OP
OP
2022 base

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Truthfully no, but they'll be plenty off people on here who will swear it does.
I have tried to understand what its purpose is and see a need for removing the oil before it gets to the engine valve but will it prevent any buildup? I thought build up is normal on gas engines.?

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have tried to understand what its purpose is and see a need for removing the oil before it gets to the engine valve but will it prevent any buildup? I thought build up is normal on gas engines.?
This is a subject of debate.

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recric) takes unburnt fumes from the exhaust and recycles them back into the intake to be reburnt - this is to lower emissions, NOx gases. The recirculation returns carbon and oils back into the intake tract, these particles are sticky and tend to buildup in the intake manifold and particularly on the backside of the valves.

Traditional/older engines have the fuel injector in the manifold, as the air picks up the fuel the stratified charge washes the intake tract and the back of the valve. Gasoline being a solvent, removes any built up carbon and oils that got introduced due to the EGR and PCV systems.

Modern engines use Direct Injection. There no longer is fuel in the intake manifold to wash the back of the valves. The EGR and PCV systems are now free to dump in these harmful particulates, this buildup reduces airflow efficiency, creates hotspots on the valves and can generally gunk up an injector or a spark plug if left unchecked. You can browse Subaru forums to see how popular Walnut Blasting is, think of it as an engine friendly sandblasting for the head.

Removing EGR systems and dumping PCV to atmosphere is always the first mod in a vehicle aiming for power. The complexity and negatives far outweigh the benefits in a build.

So, First thing to note is that the 2.3L already has a built in EGR baffle system/AOS, but there is always room for improvement. This is why you see aftermarket catch cans, even as Ford accessories (in the case of the 2.7L). Its one of those mods that doesn't do too much, but it CAN help in the long run.

And to wrap this up, a full catch can is not ideal as it may start to cause issues in its own right... Id highly advise adding a drain to whichever one you might get for easy service.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2022 base

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is a subject of debate.

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recric) takes unburnt fumes from the exhaust and recycles them back into the intake to be reburnt - this is to lower emissions, NOx gases. The recirculation returns carbon and oils back into the intake tract, these particles are sticky and tend to buildup in the intake manifold and particularly on the backside of the valves.

Traditional/older engines have the fuel injector in the manifold, as the air picks up the fuel the stratified charge washes the intake tract and the back of the valve. Gasoline being a solvent, removes any built up carbon and oils that got introduced due to the EGR and PCV systems.

Modern engines use Direct Injection. There no longer is fuel in the intake manifold to wash the back of the valves. The EGR and PCV systems are now free to dump in these harmful particulates, this buildup reduces airflow efficiency, creates hotspots on the valves and can generally gunk up an injector or a spark plug if left unchecked. You can browse Subaru forums to see how popular Walnut Blasting is, think of it as an engine friendly sandblasting for the head.

Removing EGR systems and dumping PCV to atmosphere is always the first mod in a vehicle aiming for power. The complexity and negatives far outweigh the benefits in a build.

So, First thing to note is that the 2.3L already has a built in EGR baffle system/AOS, but there is always room for improvement. This is why you see aftermarket catch cans, even as Ford accessories (in the case of the 2.7L). Its one of those mods that doesn't do too much, but it CAN help in the long run.

And to wrap this up, a full catch can is not ideal as it may start to cause issues in its own right... Id highly advise adding a drain to whichever one you might get for easy service.
Great information! thanks for sharing. I think If it will help the longevity,...this is my life vehicle I am not getting younger or richer any time soon. I'm sure I will add one when funds allow.

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The wife’s 2.3 has a UPR catch can. Easily unscrews at the bottom to empty. Usually gets about 1/4 full between oil change. Cheap insurance. I’ve had the issue of build up on the valves on a DI engine. Not needed on a dual injection engine such as the 2.7.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
2022 base

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have that same can. Doesn't catch much in the summer months. Winter months catches about a half can every 1000 miles.
Does the location work well to empty the can?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a diehard yes to a catch can for a DI car.

Since my 2.7 has port and DI, I do not have nor need one.

I have one on my 2.3 Ranger.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the location work well to empty the can?
Yes absolutely, I chose this can because it was easy access. Others were set too far back and I would not be able to reach them.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve got this same catch can. Don’t know if I ~need~ it but it’s easy insurance if nothing else. Extremely easy to empty and get at. The hardest part about the install was getting the factory hose pulled apart.

I don’t catch a lot in it - about 1/3 full every 5k miles or so. But what it catches I’m glad didn’t go back into the engine. If it would hurt anything or not - I dunno. A few tablespoons of condensation over a few months isn’t huge, but over time I can’t say. At worst it probably isn’t hurting anything and I’m out a few bucks (out of the thousands I’ve spend playing the mod game)

OP
OP
2022 base

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve got this same catch can. Don’t know if I ~need~ it but it’s easy insurance if nothing else. Extremely easy to empty and get at. The hardest part about the install was getting the factory hose pulled apart.

I don’t catch a lot in it - about 1/3 full every 5k miles or so. But what it catches I’m glad didn’t go back into the engine. If it would hurt anything or not - I dunno. A few tablespoons of condensation over a few months isn’t huge, but over time I can’t say. At worst it probably isn’t hurting anything and I’m out a few bucks (out of the thousands I’ve spend playing the mod game)
I think I am sold on this one. It is the best location for the amount of time I will spend to empty it. Agree that it is good insurance and just a drop in the money bucket for mods.

OP
OP
2022 base

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does the can installed slow down the flow to the intake enough to cause a buildup pressure in the crankcase?