Sponsored

Is the 2.3 going to be the reliable offroad engine vs the 2.7?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So with the issues arising early from some members with the engine seizing and codes and such, do any of you all think we are going to find out that the 2.3 will be the more reliable engine for the more abusive Bronco owners?
The 2.3 has been around towing and hauling in the Ranger, as has the 2.7 in the F150. But the 2.7 is a smaller component motor given its cylinder count. We also have the MT to think about. It will most likely live longer with the offroaders than the 10spd, especially since C gear should save the clutch from the less skill full of us. I wish I could get the 2.7 but am going to be manual only so its a no go.

Anyone have thoughts on the future of these motors? Say 100,000 miles and many mud pits and trail rides later?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO the 2.3 will be just as durable and reliable as the 2.7...my biggest concern is longevity vs. the 2.7

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going 2.3 because fewer head gaskets, fewer turbos and less complicated is always better. This isn't the 2.5L 4 banger vs the 4.2/4.0L Inline 6 debate in the old YJ/TJs, I highly doubt the 2.7 will command a resale premium in the way the I6 did for Jeep. The power difference, the displacement difference and the performance just isn't that great.

Had they decided to stuff a Coyote 5.0 or a 3.0 MiniStroke diesel in the new Broncos, that would be a much different discussion vis a vis base engine trim.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So with the issues arising early from some members with the engine seizing and codes and such, do any of you all think we are going to find out that the 2.3 will be the more reliable engine for the more abusive Bronco owners?
The 2.3 has been around towing and hauling in the Ranger, as has the 2.7 in the F150. But the 2.7 is a smaller component motor given its cylinder count. We also have the MT to think about. It will most likely live longer with the offroaders than the 10spd, especially since C gear should save the clutch from the less skill full of us. I wish I could get the 2.7 but am going to be manual only so its a no go.

Anyone have thoughts on the future of these motors? Say 100,000 miles and many mud pits and trail rides later?
Any thing made by man can be screwed up by man...

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Cue 2.3 orderers wildly speculating to justify their own decision
Also cue the 2.7 orderers wildly speculating to justify their own decision

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going 2.3 because fewer head gaskets, fewer turbos and less complicated is always better.
If there's one thing I've learned after about 20 years of car ownership is that even the best cars/engines still need occasional work. I've since committed to only buying inline engines from now on, just for the reduced complexity. I am willing to trade displacement and horsepower for ease of service.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I think you have to drive the snot out of the 2.3 to approach any performance parallels of the 2.7.
This would take life out of any engine. How about that inferior induction on the 2.3?- Problems coming.

Read what Motor Trend and Car and Driver say. They know more about these vehicles (and most every other) than anyone on this site. If you don't believe them why would you believe anyone?

DougSmokesPole

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corinthean Cargo Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bigger engine doesn't always have higher resale value.
The F01 BMW 740i sells for more and is more desirable than the 750i despite having a smaller engine
F01 740i - 3.0L inline 6 with 300hp
F01750i - 4.4L V8 with 380hp

The i6 is a bulletproof motor design is reliable
The 4.4L V8 in this model car has massive failures from valve stem seals that go out every 30k miles and cost $5k to replace.

With time, the more reliable motor will be the one worth more. My guess is that is going to be the 2.3L with a single head vs two, single turbo vs two, and overall a less complicated motor. I would install a catch can on the 2.3L to keep the top of the motor clean, otherwise it will get filthy quick being a DI motor.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only concern for longevity from either would be turbo replacements (if its even an issue) and the 2.3 WILL have carbon buildup in the intake system like every other direct injection engine ever made that didn't get port injection as well.

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If there's one thing I've learned after about 20 years of car ownership is that even the best cars/engines still need occasionally work. I've since committed to only buying inline engines from now on, just for the reduced complexity. I am willing to trade displacement and horsepower for ease of service.
Word.

Doing a head gasket once on a V6 and then again on an I4 will change your mind forever.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bigger engine doesn't always have higher resale value.
The F01 BMW 740i sells for more and is more desirable than the 750i despite having a smaller engine
F01 740i - 3.0L inline 6 with 300hp
F01750i - 4.4L V8 with 380hp

The i6 is a bulletproof motor design is reliable
The 4.4L V8 in this model car has massive failures from valve stem seals that go out every 30k miles and cost $5k to replace.

With time, the more reliable motor will be the one worth more. My guess is that is going to be the 2.3L with a single head vs two, single turbo vs two, and overall a less complicated motor. I would install a catch can on the 2.3L to keep the top of the motor clean, otherwise it will get filthy quick being a DI motor.
That's an oranges to pears comparison. That straight six you are talking about is the N54, which is a god among engines in general and like you said, that v8 was trash.

The 2.7 has proven reliable in the f150 and there's no reason to think it will be any different in the bronco. It's not like the N63 was rock solid in one car and trash in the 7 series.

DougSmokesPole

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corinthean Cargo Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think you have to drive the snot out of the 2.3 to approach any performance parallels of the 2.7.
This would take life out of any engine. How about that inferior induction on the 2.3?- Problems coming.

Read what Motor Trend and Car and Driver say. They know more about these vehicles (and most every other) than anyone on this site. If you don't believe them why would you believe anyone?
Gearing is more important offroad than horsepower. That's why AMG put a 6.2L engine in the military Humvee that had 150hp and it still is the king of the mountain offroad. Horsepower is needed for quick acceleration and better performance at higher speeds, which really aren't variables that the Bronco was built for.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only Broncos with problems right now have the 2.7L engine. Coincidence? 🤔
not to mention the glaring fact that every bronco with problems right now has a swing-out tailgate. If ford had done that differently, I think it would be a much different conversation on reliability.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I've driven the 2.7 (F150) and after driving the squatched 2.3 today I can say that you will not have to drive the snot out of it...I don't see why it won't be just as good as the 2.7 on the trails.
Sponsored