First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just replaced the battery in my key fob with a brand new Duracell 2450 and I’m getting Key Not Found occasionally. What could cause this? Faulty battery (even though it’s new)?

Does the key need to be reset?

Defective key FOB?
Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LED Lights can cause this issue. Are you at the same place when this happens? If you have any after market LEDS on when this happens? LED lights in your garage?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No LED lights. Reading that an unplugged rear antenna can cause this. I WAS in the rear and this problem just started after my sub/amp install but I’m 100% certain I plugged in that antenna. I heard it click in. I also have crystal clear radio reception.

Logic would say it’s the antenna but it’s intermittent and I don’t want to rip apart this rear panel again if I don’t have to…

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No LED lights. Reading that an unplugged rear antenna can cause this. I WAS in the rear and this problem just started after my sub/amp install but I’m 100% certain I plugged in that antenna. I heard it click in. I also have crystal clear radio reception.

Logic would say it’s the antenna but it’s intermittent and I don’t want to rip apart this rear panel again if I don’t have to…
I did get it started by tapping the FOB on the ground…

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I dynamatted during my sub install. Is the key detected related to a signal that needs to come from the rear panel?

Sponsored

Brags

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just started getting this as well and haven't done anything to the Bronco recently. I'm thinking software bug...

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just started getting this as well and haven't done anything to the Bronco recently. I'm thinking software bug...
Might be - but very odd coincidence that it started right after my sub install where that rear panel antenna was disconnected.

what I don’t understand is that I am CERTAIN I’ve reattached the antenna. I distinctly heard it clip. I suppose it could have fallen off but then wouldn’t it always give key not detected?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve read several threads on this topic and some point to a SW issue and some point to an antenna issue.

Anyone have any conclusive answers?

Mine is a 23 OBX

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Might be - but very odd coincidence that it started right after my sub install where that rear panel antenna was disconnected.

what I don’t understand is that I am CERTAIN I’ve reattached the antenna. I distinctly heard it clip. I suppose it could have fallen off but then wouldn’t my radio reception also be poor?
Radio reception has nothing to do with the rear PATS antenna. Those are 2 completely different antennas.

Also the fact that you tapped the fob on the ground and then it magically worked, kind of makes it seem like a fob or battery issue.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Radio reception has nothing to do with the rear PATS antenna. Those are 2 completely different antennas.

Also the fact that you tapped the fob on the ground and then it magically worked, kind of makes it seem like a fob or battery issue.
Thanks for clarifying re: PATS. Agree on the odd tapping pointing towards a FOB (it’s not a battery - it’s brand new). But if the PATS connector came loose wouldn’t it always say key not detected? Why would it be intermittent?

I mean crap does this mean the PATS connection can never be disconnected/reconnected?

I put the darn cable back when I reassembled and was careful as can be.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for clarifying re: PATS. Agree on the odd tapping pointing towards a FOB (it’s not a battery - it’s brand new). But if the PATS connector came loose wouldn’t it always say key not detected? Why would it be intermittent?

I mean crap does this mean the PATS connection can never be disconnected/reconnected?

I put the darn cable back when I reassembled and was careful as can be.
It’s unlikely it has anything to do with the rear PATS antenna. There are 5 PATS antennas within the vehicle.
Why did you replace the battery to begin with? Was it having the same issue with the old battery?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s unlikely it has anything to do with the rear PATS antenna. There are 5 PATS antennas within the vehicle.
Why did you replace the battery to begin with? Was it having the same issue with the old battery?
Replaced the FOB battery because even before this key not detected and before the amp sub install the keyless entry was not unlocking the door when approaching it…

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do all PATS antennas need to be functional for the key fob to be recognized?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Replaced the FOB battery because even before this key not detected and before the amp sub install the keyless entry was not unlocking the door when approaching it…
Also made sure main car battery was fully charged.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do all PATS antennas need to be functional for the key fob to be recognized?
I can’t remember off hand, but I think only 1 of the antennas needs to be able to pick up the fob signal.

If you didn’t have the “key not detected” message before changing the battery, I would maybe change it again. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen one of those batteries bad even when new.
Sponsored