First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for clarifying re: PATS. Agree on the odd tapping pointing towards a FOB (it’s not a battery - it’s brand new). But if the PATS connector came loose wouldn’t it always say key not detected? Why would it be intermittent?

I mean crap does this mean the PATS connection can never be disconnected/reconnected?

I put the darn cable back when I reassembled and was careful as can be.
I've just started have this intermittent problem, once while trying to unlock the car, and a couple of times, I move the fob from my left pocket (could be coincidence) to center of vehicle and it worked. Just like you I removed the back panels earlier in the week for an amp upgrade.

Note, I have NOT put the panels back on, and it has only happened a couple of times
Sponsored

RR Drummer

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew / Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got same issue with “Key not detected”. I haven’t done anything to my Bronco yet except drive it. I either keep my key in my pocket or in my lunch bag seated beside me. That said if I hold the fob closer to push start then no problem. If it persists I’ll change the battery.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got same issue with “Key not detected”. I haven’t done anything to my Bronco yet except drive it. I either keep my key in my pocket or in my lunch bag seated beside me. That said if I hold the fob closer to push start then no problem. If it persists I’ll change the battery.

RR thank you for chiming in with your experience. You seem to be the only one experiencing this “key not detected” who hasn’t done anything to the rear panel.

I’m now concerned that during the process of removing the back panel the pats antenna was/is damaged. That’s REALLY shitty if that’s the case because it would mean you could never remove that panel without having to replace it.

I’m hoping I don’t have to buy a new rear panel because it’s $1200.

I guess I’ll take it to the dealer and see what they say. It seems to be too much of a coincidence though that it was not giving this error before the amp install.

Pisses me off to no end.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Same issue - holding closer to
Start button seems to help. I’m also going to try a 2nd new battery but that’s a fruitless effort because I used a multi-meter on the new battery and confirmed it was above 3v

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just replaced the battery in my key fob with a brand new Duracell 2450 and I’m getting Key Not Found occasionally. What could cause this? Faulty battery (even though it’s new)?

Does the key need to be reset?

Defective key FOB?
mine does it once in awhile i just hit lock un lock on fob or restart and no issues

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just replaced the battery in my key fob with a brand new Duracell 2450 and I’m getting Key Not Found occasionally. What could cause this? Faulty battery (even though it’s new)?

Does the key need to be reset?

Defective key FOB?
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is an antenna about door handle high on both B pillars and one on each corner of the rear trim panels. We have a '22 with the same message, did batteries, tried new fob, BCM, battery state of charge is good. Depending on exactly where the fob was it would not start. Right pant pocket-ok, anywhere in or on the console-ok, near either B pillar-ok. Sitting on the hero switches-not ok, sitting on back seat-not ok, holding fob at head height or higher, directly above center console-not ok, anywhere within a few inches of the roof panel-no ok.

Mine does not do this and so we conclude it likely has something to do with one or both front antennas after ruling out everything else. Since holding the key near the roof is not normal, the solution is for the customer to keep the fob near or on the console. I think wife may have been leaving in purse which was put on the back seat where it was about equidistant from all 4 antennas. Have seen other reports of the same thing with no confirmed "fix".

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is an antenna about door handle high on both B pillars and one on each corner of the rear trim panels. We have a '22 with the same message, did batteries, tried new fob, BCM, battery state of charge is good. Depending on exactly where the fob was it would not start. Right pant pocket-ok, anywhere in or on the console-ok, near either B pillar-ok. Sitting on the hero switches-not ok, sitting on back seat-not ok, holding fob at head height or higher, directly above center console-not ok, anywhere within a few inches of the roof panel-no ok.

Mine does not do this and so we conclude it likely has something to do with one or both front antennas after ruling out everything else. Since holding the key near the roof is not normal, the solution is for the customer to keep the fob near or on the console. I think wife may have been leaving in purse which was put on the back seat where it was about equidistant from all 4 antennas. Have seen other reports of the same thing with no confirmed "fix".
Pretty sure I have the key either in The center console cupholder or on the passenger side seat when this is happening. Again it’s random.

People are theorizing in the forums that it has something to do with the PATS antenna. What I want to know is if one of the multiple PATS antennas is non-functional for any reason would that make all of the antennas nonfunctional dust giving the key not detected message?

I ask this because of the rear PA TS antenna which needs to be disconnected in order to remove the rear trim panel for the sub/amp install. Mine I was meticulously careful to both disconnect and reconnect this antenna. So I find it very odd that something may have gone wrong with this rear antenna and how that might be giving the key not detected message when the key is not even in the back of the truck

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure I have the key either in The center console cupholder or on the passenger side seat when this is happening. Again it’s random.

People are theorizing in the forums that it has something to do with the PATS antenna. What I want to know is if one of the multiple PATS antennas is non-functional for any reason would that make all of the antennas nonfunctional dust giving the key not detected message?

I ask this because of the rear PA TS antenna which needs to be disconnected in order to remove the rear trim panel for the sub/amp install. Mine I was meticulously careful to both disconnect and reconnect this antenna. So I find it very odd that something may have gone wrong with this rear antenna and how that might be giving the key not detected message when the key is not even in the back of the truck
If it was disconnected or circuit messed up there would likely be a fault code in the system. When we got to the module the theory was it was not sending adequate voltage/signal to the antennas which reduced the signal used to "ping" the RIFD in the fob. The antennas are a direct wire to the BCM so it's not like their signal is processed through another module where it could get corrupted. We don't have any test equipment to prove out the antennas and is more based on a process of elimination. No codes, wires/connectors good, no aftermarket stuff plugged in or nearby, compare to like vehicle, ruling out specific geographical interference locations, fob battery good, vehicle battery state of charge 80%+, program a new fob, if it still has problem with new fob, might be BCM, try a BCM, still does it with new BCM and new fob. Only thing left is the antennas and there's no guarantee replacing one or all will change anything. At this point, Ford probably isn't going to be paying for more parts cannoning and it's time to call it a characteristic.

My suggestion is when this happens again, put the fob against the trim panel just below the top seat belt mounting point or about level with your left shoulder and see if the warning goes away. I honestly believe some of these are just a little particular about where the fob is, however I have no way of verifying with hard data. Signals may be weaker in some than others which I have witnessed and gives some weight to my theory.

Ford Bronco Key Not Found - Intermediate Issue 1717006753362-yr

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine has done this exactly once so far. Locking then unlocking the doors fixed it. Sure hope it doesn't become "normal."

I almost didn't edit this to change licking to locking. The image of licking the doors amuses me for some reason.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My 21 has done this randomly since new, often enough to be annoying. I remember I was not the only one with a new 21 having the issue. Nice to see its another Bronco quirk that lives on.
Sponsored