TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you that can't imagine why someone would want to leave a key in the vehicle:

I park my Explorer (with keypad) at the beach when I surf or take the kids for a day in the sand. I leave my phone, wallet, and vehicle key in the car, and use the keypad. I'd rather not worry about getting the key wet and ruining it. I have a soft-top 4DR Badlands now, and I'm going to get the keypad for the same reason.
I for some reason didn't even include this use in my post - there are many times I'm at the lake or going hiking or just at a friend's pool, whatever, where I don't want to have the key with me.

Camping/hiking/outdoor stuff where a key fob could get damaged/lost or worse, where someone gets hurt or lost and another member of the party needs to go for help, all are ways in which this can be very useful.
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All this discussion now has me thinking how i could do this myself. I have never once left my keys in any of my cars regardless of the situation in the last 27 years. Looks like it's a possibility that i should explore for certain situations.

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've had many Fords over many years. The key pad is the bomb. Ordered it on my Bronco too. If you read the manual all those tricks are mentioned in it. I also usually create the same code for my vehicle aside from the factory one so I only need to remember one code.

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the Base Sasquatch and specifically ordered the keypad bc I love my F-150 keypad.

BUT when I try to lock and close the door in my Bronco, the horn double honks and the car unlocks itself. Is this bc I locked the car using the lock/unlock button instead of the keypad?? (I actually wondered if my keypad was working incorrectly bc my F150 I lock using the lock/unlock.)

@ZackDanger - which page of the owner's manual did you quote from in your post? I promise you that I reviewed the manual for the answer to my above question and (frustratingly) did not find the answer.

Thanks.

Sponsored

310BroncoTK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Macan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do believe this is still accurate, but for MY22 it appears to be painted body color.
If that is the case, I will wait to order the painted body color keypad as a separate accessory. Then maybe it won't look so bad on the door.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the Base Sasquatch and specifically ordered the keypad bc I love my F-150 keypad.

BUT when I try to lock and close the door in my Bronco, the horn double honks and the car unlocks itself. Is this bc I locked the car using the lock/unlock button instead of the keypad?? (I actually wondered if my keypad was working incorrectly bc my F150 I lock using the lock/unlock.)

@ZackDanger - which page of the owner's manual did you quote from in your post? I promise you that I reviewed the manual for the answer to my above question and (frustratingly) did not find the answer.

Thanks.
Hold down 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously with the key fob inside, it will then lock doors.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the same reason I added the keypad, but didn't want to put on my flamesuit so I kept it to myself.

310BroncoTK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Macan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yes, because in the center console is an indentation, where you put your FOB when it's battery dies so you can still start the Bronco. So, the center console is the last place you want to "hide" your key when using the pad..........
I have a SOFT TOP on order and am curious about using the keypad with the soft top down. I'm not sure if this will work, but I was hoping to be able to lock the car using the keypad with the soft top down, with the key fob, cell phone and wallet locked in the center console lockbox (after market accessory), with the key fob in a faraday bag to deactivate the fob signal. Does anyone know if that will work? I have two boys that surf and am looking for a solution.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks.
You have to use the keypad to lock it with the fob inside. You can't do it with the door lock.

Sponsored

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So your problem with the ugly wireless keypad is someone wanting to steal a $75 keypad, and not the fact it’s ugly and has horrible battery life?
the ugly and horrible battery life and just the fact that it is battery that at some time may need replacing are both undesirable as well. Not to mention that since I go in areas with high RF I wonder if the wireless link will even work. I suppose that is potential issue with key fob as well. Anyway all that are negatives to me.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is a great tip. And the FoMoCo keypad (that you can buy after your vehicle purchase and stick anywhere you like) also has these features.

I did not get the factory keypad on my Bronco order as its looks a little dated, but I'll order the battery operated keypad once I get my truck. Its less than $100.... and I can stick it anywhere.

I too never take my keys out of my current Fords (at least 20 years of this). I stick my keypad slightly under the cowl beneath the wiper blade cover, but easily accessible and use it everytime I get in my truck. Some people put them on the inside of their gas access cover.

The little batteries last at least 5 years and they blink to warn you they are getting weak. Also have a $2 driver door key (not ignition enabled) zip tied under the bumper... Just in case my keypad fails... (Which is never has)

BTW, I'm old and have excellent insurance. I could give a crap is someone steals my truck. I'm a decent shot with a sidearm....
I always leave the keys in the vehicle.
If I'm in an area that worries me I hide the keys.

I only got burned one time in 20 plus years.
I left the lights on accidentally and it drained the battery.
Locks don't unlock with a drained battery.
I was able to get the hood unlatched to charge the battery and all was good.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
Like the other's have said: You purposely can not lock a key in the vehicle with the button on the inside of the door... as a means to prevent you from locking your keys in the vehicle.

You *can* however lock a key in the vehicle if you lock it with the number pad, since the vehicle knows that you know what your code is and could unlock the vehicle without the fob in hand.

The page of the owner's manual is 83... I just open the PDF and Ctrl-F for the term's I want:

Ford Bronco Keyless Entry Keypad (Trick) Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 15.13.43

Silvercloud

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1991 BMW 325i/2021 Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not trolling - but serious - I am thinking of getting the keypad as well. But my points are serious. Keys in a running car - from what I heard may not be covered by insurance as theft. Something to think about.
That being said - if you use the keypad - where can the keys be left, out of sight, that will not be sensed by the car if someone does manage to get in. In other words - where can I leave my keys in the car, and the car will not start because the key is not present.
I've used the feature many times over the years with my F150 and will do it with my bronco. It isn't for everyone! If you are not comfortable doing it, then don't. I use it in some low risk situations. It really comes in handy more than you would think.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My Mustang is the same way with not allowing you to lock a fob inside. If you want to lock a key inside, you need a small "Faraday Bag" to put it in.
Sponsored