Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put on the @ASFIR 4x4 front lower control arm skid plates a few months back. https://www.asfir.com/arms-skid-plate-599657.html.

About a month after installing them I started hearing a creaking when I would turn my wheels while stationary or moving slowly. I traced it back to the shock bolts. I loosened those a bit, turned steering wheel, and the creaking went away. So, I took off the skid plates, used a Dremel to smooth out the holes going through the plates, put antiseize lubricant all over the place around the threads and hole, and then reinstalled the LCA skid plates. Torqued to 66lb.ft as shown in the service manual. The creaking went away. Now, 2 months later, my drivers side is starting to creak a bit again. Anyone having a similar issue? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this permanently? It gets a bit embarrassing having a brand new vehicle creak like that.

Ford Bronco LCA Skid Plate Creaking 1658345013207

Ford Bronco LCA Skid Plate Creaking 1658345020488
Sponsored

Last edited:

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put on the @Asfir front lower control arm skid plates a few months back. https://www.asfir.com/arms-skid-plate-599657.html.

About a month after installing them I started hearing a creaking when I would turn my wheels while stationary or moving slowly. I traced it back to the shock bolts. I loosened those a bit, turned steering wheel, and the creaking went away. So, I took off the skid plates, used a Dremel to smooth out the holes going through the plates, put antiseize lubricant all over the place around the threads and hole, and then reinstalled the LCA skid plates. Torqued to 66lb.ft as shown in the service manual. The creaking went away. Now, 2 months later, my drivers side is starting to creak a bit again. Anyone having a similar issue? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this permanently? It gets a bit embarrassing having a brand new vehicle creak like that.

Just installed mine today. Will watch out for creaking.

They shouldn't be able to move independent of the LCAs...

Maybe some delrin sheet between LCA and armor?

https://store.bantamtools.com/products/black-delrin?variant=1148266816

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just installed mine today. Will watch out for creaking.

They shouldn't be able to move independent of the LCAs...

Maybe some delrin sheet between LCA and armor?

https://store.bantamtools.com/products/black-delrin?variant=1148266816
I wouldn't expect it to move at all either. Not sure what's going on. A delrin sheet is a great idea. I appreciate the link. I'll try torqueing it down a bit more to about 70-75 lb.ft to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll go with the delrin sheets. Thanks.

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm getting a creaking from my Asfir front skid plate the same ways you are. I'm wondering if some rubber somewhere would help. Very annoying and embarrassing.

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm getting a creaking from my Asfir front skid plate the same ways you are. I'm wondering if some rubber somewhere would help. Very annoying and embarrassing.
I tightened my bolts up 5 more lb.ft and that seemed to help.....for now. I don't want to over torque them though. If this doesn't last then I'll go with the Delrin sheet, drill a couple holes in it for the shock bolts and put it between the LCA and skid plate. Delrin washers may work also, but that may not cover a big enough surface area. Also not easy to find them. Seems like McMaster-Carr is one of the few who carries the washers. https://www.mcmaster.com/acetal-flat-washers/

Sponsored

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the DV8 ones and I have creaking as well. I thought it was coming from my ARB underbody protection but it seems like it might be the control arm skids. I'm going to try torquing the bolts a bit more as well. Luckily my lift required me to hammer out the lower shock studs and use aftermarket bolts so they can probably withstand a bit more torque.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Put a bead of silicon sealant wherever the plate touches the control arm, it does wonders for stopping noises on kit cars when attaching aluminum floorboards to the tube frame. Might help in this situation too.

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Torqueing the nuts down more didn't last long. I took it off road a bit and then the creaking seemed to come back with a vengeance. It was driving me nuts. I removed the LCA skid plates until I can get some Delrin washers to try. I order some from McMaster-Carr. They have Delrin sheets also, but washers will be much easier. I think a 1" OD should provide enough surface contact to help. We'll see.

Ford Bronco LCA Skid Plate Creaking 1658852203750

lmarchetti

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ever get this resolved? Been holding off buying to see if there is a fix or if it's just something you live with.

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ever get this resolved? Been holding off buying to see if there is a fix or if it's just something you live with.
I'll be reinstalling my LCA skid plates this weekend with Delrin washers. I expect that to fix the problem. But, when I had this problem previously (I disassembled and lubed) it took over a month for the creaking to come back. So, I won't know for sure for a while.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I reinstalled the skid plates with the Delrin washers, as you can see in the picture. It may take over a month for any creaking to come back. That's what happened the last two times I reinstalled them because of creaking. If it does come back, I'll put another Delrin washer under the dome nut protector, which would sandwich the skid plate between two Delrin washers. Hopefully the problem is gone now.
20220813_105935.jpg

This is where I'll add another Delrin washer if the creaking returns.
20220813_110216.jpg

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, the Delrin washers were a complete failure. After adding the washers on the top of the skid plates, the creaking came back in 3 days. Last night I added Delrin washers between the mound nut protector and the skid plate. The creaking was immediately worse. So, I completely removed the skid plates again. The Delrin washers must have allowed the skid plates to move even more. I have no idea what to do now.

Ford Bronco LCA Skid Plate Creaking 1660821817926

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello, I bought some lca skids before seeing this post though I might be able to cancel since they haven’t shipped yet but I am aware that the factory nuts used to hold everything are supposed to be one time use due to their locknut design possibly also utilizing a locking compound on the threads when factory installed. Perhaps replacing those nuts with Ford parts or comparable will provide more permanent holding power and prevent squeaking? Maybe drilling out the skid plate’s mounting holes to go over the nuts completely and finding another way to clamp/attach them to the arm?

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hello, I bought some lca skids before seeing this post though I might be able to cancel since they haven’t shipped yet but I am aware that the factory nuts used to hold everything are supposed to be one time use due to their locknut design possibly also utilizing a locking compound on the threads when factory installed. Perhaps replacing those nuts with Ford parts or comparable will provide more permanent holding power and prevent squeaking? Maybe drilling out the skid plate’s mounting holes to go over the nuts completely and finding another way to clamp/attach them to the arm?
After the nut stripped on my first time installing, I purchased the oem Ford nuts to use. There are plastic locking ring around the inside to of the nuts. I didn't notice a locking compound. When that made no difference I reused the Ford nuts the next time with blue locktite. I also tried enlarging the shock bolt holes in the skid plate but that didn't help. I wonder if spreading some locktite on both sides of the skid plate where it clamps together might help. On the Asfir skid plates there are little wear areas that are probably where the creaking is actually happening.

SmartSelect_20220828-090214_Photos.jpg
20220729_053948.jpg
Screenshot_20220828-100413_Photos.jpg

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, this just started for me too, I'll be getting under mine for a close inspection this weekend. Has anyone actually observed the shock nut moving while turning the steering wheel? Just seems odd that it would do that.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne