Sponsored

Leaked info on Bronco's technology: Off-Road Navigation, Adventure Capture, Real-Time Tire Pressure

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here’s the issue guys: it doesn’t cost you extra because of economies of scale. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper to just include it for everybody than it is to have it as an option. Same thing with power locks and windows, it’s just not worth having two separate assembly lines/parts etc.
Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok yes I agree on much of this but it’s not about relying on “nannies” or people’s feelings. It’s about a helpless innocent child.
Okay, NOW this is starting to sound like a gun control argument...

“I know it’s infringing on your rights, but THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!”

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, NOW this is starting to sound like a gun control argument...

“I know it’s infringing on your rights, but THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!”
What!? Your rights? Please, these are completely separate issues. There is no infringement of rights here.

If you want to compare guns with this then you can say it’s the safety on the trigger of a gun

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s the issue guys: it doesn’t cost you extra because of economies of scale. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper to just include it for everybody than it is to have it as an option. Same thing with power locks and windows, it’s just not worth having two separate assembly lines/parts etc.
How is it cheaper to install something and have it turned on by default, or automatically reactivated every time the vehicle is started, compared to installing it and making the owner aware of the option but relying on them to choose to activate it if they think it would benefit them?

By my reckoning that is likely to cost more, not less.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We're beating a dead horse, but it's SOOO long before Broncos become available, there's little else to do.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28594338/car-back-seat-alarms/ Here's how the sensor-based Hyundai system works. First, when the driver gets out of the car, the dashboard displays a message reminding them to check the rear seats. If the car's ultrasonic sensor detects movement in the rear seat when the vehicle is parked and locked, the car's horn will honk and its lights will flash. If the driver's phone is connected through Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system, a text message will be sent to the phone that movement was detected in the car.

Just as an owner could prudently decide to keep an EpiPen in the glove box, there are numerous aftermarket solutions - starting at $8.00
upload_2019-11-3_11-15-37.png

As Nick correctly observes, too complicated to treat as an option...but why include it at all when the dealer could just give these away!!!

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What!? Your rights? Please, these are completely separate issues. There is no infringement of rights here.

If you want to compare guns with this then you can say it’s the safety on the trigger of a gun
More akin the the owner of the gun having the common sense to secure it, instead of a legal mandate that a lock or safety be installed.

Responsibility of the individual, instead of society determining what safety precautions the individual is required to take.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More akin the the owner of the gun having the common sense to secure it, instead of a legal mandate that a lock or safety be installed.

Responsibility of the individual, instead of society determining what safety precautions the individual is required to take.
Right but if society says this new kick ass gun that I want that’s perfect for my purpose but has to come with a safety on the trigger then I’m perfectly ok with that.

Also, I don’t think this is a legal mandate. There are many things that are annoying because of other people’s incompetence but that’s life

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
We're beating a dead horse, but it's SOOO long before Broncos become available, there's little else to do.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28594338/car-back-seat-alarms/ Here's how the sensor-based Hyundai system works. First, when the driver gets out of the car, the dashboard displays a message reminding them to check the rear seats. If the car's ultrasonic sensor detects movement in the rear seat when the vehicle is parked and locked, the car's horn will honk and its lights will flash. If the driver's phone is connected through Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system, a text message will be sent to the phone that movement was detected in the car.

Just as an owner could prudently decide to keep an EpiPen in the glove box, there are numerous aftermarket solutions - starting at $8.00
upload_2019-11-3_11-15-37.png

As Nick correctly observes, too complicated to treat as an option...but why include it at all when the dealer could just give these away!!!
Lowest common denominator. Who in the world is going to say "I might forget my kid in my car better get an aftermarket alarm to remind me" that's not how this works. My idiot acquaintance who let her kid fall in the pool sure as hell would be prone to leaving her kid in a hot car but she is a dumb bimbo and thinks she's the best mom ever. So because we have people who are like this it's become something that automakers can include for very low cost and a lot of benefit. As BroncoRevital said this is not like gun control this is like including a lock in the box with a gun. Do I personally care about that lock? Hell no i have a drawer full of 'em lol. But it isn't infringing my rights to include it.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But it isn't infringing my rights to include it
But it IS infringing on your bank account. This is an emotional issue that has to be viewed more like an actuary would assign dollar damages after a plane crash or the 911 attacks.

National Safety Council says ~40 kids under 15 die from this every year.
CDC says alcohol-related road deaths are >10,000 annually.

I haven't a clue the cost of this sensor technology per unit, but after the government inevitably mandates it in each of the 17+ million vehicles sold in the USA every year it's got to be north of $400-$500 million/year. Do the math.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lowest common denominator. ... this is not like gun control this is like including a lock in the box with a gun. Do I personally care about that lock? Hell no i have a drawer full of 'em lol. But it isn't infringing my rights to include it.
But requiring that you pay for the lock as part of the purchase of every new gun because there is no other option, or mandating that you use one does. By your own description we are all going to pay a tiny bit extra to have some nannies included. Just because you personally don't care about paying extra or being required to use it does not preclude the forced compliance.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A few thoughts on this:

If a parent makes a mistake once in their lives, it can be lethal to a completely innocent baby.

There is technology that can go a little ways toward preventing a deadly lapse in attention.

A helpless child should not boil to death in their car seat for any reason - period. Whether a momentary failure in parenting or a criminal pattern of gross negligence is irrelevant.

The technology will hopefully be smart enough to avoid annoying to those who aren't carrying children; if not, repetitive warnings will become background noise that the target audience ignores.

There is usually a work-around to safety systems. No judgements, but people bypass safeties every day.

Dedicated idiots are persistent enough to defeat the most comprehensive safety systems. Ignorance is a powerful force.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
But it IS infringing on your bank account. This is an emotional issue that has to be viewed more like an actuary would assign dollar damages after a plane crash or the 911 attacks.

National Safety Council says ~40 kids under 15 die from this every year.
CDC says alcohol-related road deaths are >10,000 annually.

I haven't a clue the cost of this sensor technology per unit, but after the government inevitably mandates it in each of the 17+ million vehicles sold in the USA every year it's got to be north of $400-$500 million/year. Do the math.
And does that millions of dollars a year just disappear into the ether? Nope it goes right back into Americans pockets since we are talking about American vehicles assembled in the USA. There are worse places to put my money, $30-$40 in a $40,000 car is inconsequential. And yes I know “death by a thousand cuts” but all the safety improvements add up. Backup cameras got mandated for the same reason but I don’t see anybody complaining about that at this point.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nowhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that you have the right to be exempt from paying for non-optional equipment on a car. There are TONS of options you pay for on a car that you may not like or use. Vanity mirror, glovebox light, child restraint anchors, rain-sensing wipers... even the existence of a carpet in some of my trucks has been "forced compliance". It's a total non-sequitur argument, drawing a 2nd Amendment parallel and saying your rights are being violated. Making absurd comparisons like that diminishes the significance of the Bill of Rights.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nowhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that you have the right to be exempt from paying for non-optional equipment on a car. There are TONS of options you pay for on a car that you may not like or use. Vanity mirror, glovebox light, child restraint anchors, rain-sensing wipers... even the existence of a carpet in some of my trucks has been "forced compliance". It's a total non-sequitur argument, drawing a 2nd Amendment parallel and saying your rights are being violated. Making absurd comparisons like that diminishes the significance of the Bill of Rights.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

If y’all are REALLY upset about this stuff when you finally buy a 2021 Bronco off Craigslist (20 years from now)you can remove those pesky features you don’t like. Hell you might even be able to sell them and get some money :wink:

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In 5 years, babies will come out of the womb knowing how to text, so by then they’ll just be able to shoot a message saying “yo mom, it’s hot as shit in here bro”, at which point we won’t need this alarm system

/thread
Sponsored